Beating the heat with Sleeping Beauty

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
drm

Beating the heat with Sleeping Beauty

Post by drm » July 29th, 2009, 10:46 am

Not having A/C, my house was getting up to 95 inside by late afternoon the last couple of days. So I decided to try camping on top of Sleeping Beauty, a high spot that used to have a Lookout. It's about 10 miles north of Trout Lake. The trail is short and steep, gaining 1400 feet in 1.4 miles. The name comes from the profile, and it looks like a sleeping person when viewed from the Stagman Ridge trailhead on Mt Adams, for example. I had put off driving those miles for such a short trail, but this was the right time to visit the Beauty.

I waited for things to cool off a bit, leaving the trailhead at 6:30pm. There was plenty of shade from trees and clouds up there, so the steep climb wasn't too bad. And there was a wonderful Breeze at the top. I would add that while there were plenty of bugs buzzing around, they paid me no attention. It was a spectacular evening, particularly given the furnace I was avoiding at home.

One side point about sunset pictures. When I viewed red/pink clouds through the viewfinder on my camera, they were great. When I took the shot, the color was gone, and the clouds were just gray. I've never heard of a setting that filters that light out. Need to figure that one out.
sb01.JPG
Trailhead
sb02.JPG
As the trail nears the top
sb09.JPG
My only guest. Not tame like at the Enchantments, when he realized what I was, he took off very fast down a steep talus slope, causing a bit of a slide.
sb13.JPG
Late sun on Mt Adams. Not much snow left for late July. Lots of summer left.
sb20.JPG
Setting sun on MSH.
sb22.JPG
Sleeping Beauty's head from FR 8810.
More pics here

fettster

Re: Beating the heat with Sleeping Beauty

Post by fettster » July 29th, 2009, 9:07 pm

That's interesting, Jeff Stat also reported seeing a goat here a few years back, in the early morning hours as opposed to later in the day. I wonder how long they hang around that area each year. Did you spot him from a distance or when you rounded a corner?

My place was 90 when I got home this evening, but at least I have a window A/C for the bedroom so sleeping is much more tolerable. I'm guessing you're sleeping under the stars again tonight?

Stefrobrts

Post by Stefrobrts » July 29th, 2009, 9:43 pm

What a stunning shot of Mt Adams!

I got a nice shot of sleeping beauty from Trout Lake earlier this year. Early in the morning, when the sun hits it just right, it's really amazing how much it looks like a sleeping woman.
Attachments
IMG_0412.JPG
Sleeping Beauty from Trout Lake
Stephanie
Vancouver, WA

markesc

Post by markesc » July 29th, 2009, 11:15 pm

have you tried underexposing the sunset shots by about a stop or so? Does your camera shoot in raw mode? It seems some cameras will turn a super green lush forest shot into a magenta mess and a nice magenta sunset into a greenish/yellow hue. I'm guessing it's trying to compensate in some fashion... RAW mode helps a ton as you can assign a kelvin temp that best fits what you remember seeing.... every camera/lighting/sunset is different though...

drm

Post by drm » July 30th, 2009, 10:09 am

I was sitting quietly reading my book (autobiography of Mark Twain) just before sunset when I heard a clattering and thought some other hikers were coming up. But it was the wrong direction, so I looked around the corner, and the goat was about 20 yards away. Being there late and alone really does help in seeing wildlife. No talking to scare them away.

My camera can save in RAW mode, but I have never used it. I've not really gotten in the manual mode, but there are some situations where it's auto mode doesn't work well, so I need to get into those.

I think that the Sleeping Beauty profile is even better from the east on Mt Adams, but I can't seem to find the photos from that trip now.