Mt. Adams-Highline Tr. 7.25-26.09

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
turtle

Mt. Adams-Highline Tr. 7.25-26.09

Post by turtle » July 28th, 2009, 11:09 am

I almost let the rumors of bugs deter me from taking this trip; good idea to forge ahead. I was tossing and turning around 2 am and decided to get up and pack out. By 6 am I was on the road to Mt. Adams via Rd. 23 and Trout Lake. I was making excellent time when I missed a turn. Much like Mr. Boone I wasn't lost just a "mite confused." I finally pulled over and used the GPS and map to figure out exactly how confused I was and successfully backtracked to the Killen TH. By 10:30 I was on trail.

The bugs weren't too bad; just kept moving on the hot, three mile, many stepped, slog to the PCT junction. My strategy of no deet/repellant and long sleeves and pants was working pretty well. I stopped at the first meadow and took what turned out to be some rather ordinary shots of Adams peeking through the trees. There were a couple of tents in the site to the left of the trail.

I met a nice lady on a horse on the PCT and we chatted for a bit. I also met four dayhikers heading back. Still holding my own with the bugs. Just before the Highline Trail junction there is a meadow to the left of the trail with a cascade and several sites. I was surprised to see no tents in the sites. This spot is usually pretty popular. I took a Hydra-lite and energy bar break at the trail junction, chatted with more horsey folk, and swatted at the horde that had taken a few minutes to find me.

I started trudging up the Highline towards Foggy Flat. The 'squiters were getting more obnoxious and the heat and steepness of the trail was starting to take a toll. I was also realizing that I hadn't gotten much sleep the night before. The flowers were out in carpets but the 'squiters kind of took a little of the fun out of the viewing. At Foggy Flat the first stream was nearly dry and a somewhat cranky woman in a headnet was busy starting a smoky fire. Three more riders watered their horses at the strong flowing second stream while I figured out how much ambition I had left.

I continued up the trail a ways to a site near tree-line with level ground and a sweet flowing little stream and decided this was going to be home. I stood in the middle of the site and waited...no bug horde! A few pesky soldiers but no horde. After resting up, rinsing off the trail dirt and sweat, and setting up my tent I had another snack and decided to take a nap around 5:30 pm. At about 8 pm I got up, put my gear away and went to bed.

In the morning after breakfast and sweet green tea, peach, I headed uphill about 8 am. I spent a few hours hiking around above treeline; fantastic views and enough breeze to keep the you know whos at bay. The stream crossing above tree line wasn't too bad; knee deep and painfully cold but not too bad.

On the way back to the car I saw two groups of riders, three and five, and two dayhikers. That's it. No overnight hikers. I had a nice drive back home and was really glad I found the gumption to take this trip. Pictures to follow.
IMG_1275 [1024x768].JPG
Mt. Adams from the Highline.
IMG_1285 [1024x768].JPG
Probably my best shot of the day.
IMG_1287 [1024x768].JPG
Although I like this Rainier shot...
IMG_1288 [1024x768].JPG
Glacial ice and rock.
IMG_1291 [1024x768].JPG
IMG_1292 [1024x768].JPG
Purple flower meadow by Foggy Flat.
IMG_1296 [1024x768].JPG
One last Adams shot.
Summer breezes caressed me, my legs stepped forward as though possessed of their own appetite, and the mountains kept promising. Rebecca Solnit

fettster

Re: Mt. Adams-Highline Tr. 7.25-26.09

Post by fettster » July 29th, 2009, 6:59 am

I need to get up to that side of the mountain. Good job keeping your head on the driving.

Sounds like the creek crossing might be rather challenging for a dog? Did you see any mountain goats?

By the way, wish I had the same luck with bugs last weekend that you had.

turtle

Post by turtle » July 29th, 2009, 9:25 am

The only wildlife I saw were horses and dogs. Just upstream from where I crossed the stream is two channels. That might be a better option for a dog. The flow rate was pretty strong in the one channel. There has been a lot of washout in that immediate vicinity and navigation is by cairn for a bit. I managed to avoid deet for the whole trip by using long sleeves and pants. On Sunday above treeline and in the breeze I barely noticed the bugs.
Summer breezes caressed me, my legs stepped forward as though possessed of their own appetite, and the mountains kept promising. Rebecca Solnit

drm

Post by drm » July 29th, 2009, 10:34 am

I think that the goats hang out near the Devil's Garden area, which is maybe an hour past where you camped on this trip. I saw quite a few there last year in Sept, but they are not as tame as the ones in the Enchantments. They don't let you get too close - they head up on to the glacier if you try.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 29th, 2009, 1:16 pm

I was at Devil's Garden in August 2005 and I saw about 30 goats. Poor picture - dots on the glacier a bit above the center of the frame:
P1010063.JPG

drm

Post by drm » July 30th, 2009, 2:15 pm

Finally found this. Goats on Lyman Glacier at Devils Garden on the northeast side of Mt Adams.

turtle

Post by turtle » July 31st, 2009, 4:53 am

Devil's Garden and other points of interest are above 7000'. There is a sign at the TH that says you need a special pass to be above 7000'; I am assuming this is for the climbers. If I am not climbing and have no climbing gear and no intention of climbing; what is my status above 7000' without the special permit. I read the official policy I was looking for input on practical policy.

drm

Post by drm » July 31st, 2009, 6:41 am

Well, it's not just for summit climbers but nonetheless I have never gotten a permit when I hiked on an established trail above 7000 feet. But I never called the rangers to ask either. I figured that this was one I would leave to chance.