Lake Wapiki, Indian Heaven Wilderness 7.7.09

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
BaileyBoy

Lake Wapiki, Indian Heaven Wilderness 7.7.09

Post by BaileyBoy » July 8th, 2009, 9:33 pm

After enjoying Little Huckleberry we drove north on Rd 66 to Rd 60 and headed east to hit Rd 24 which would take us up to the TH. Saw 3 or 4 blue tarp setups around the 66/60 junction and guessed they were selling firewood or something to all the campers in the area. I know they'll be selling huckleberries later in the summer. This part of Rd 66 was quite a bit worse than the lower part but okay for passenger cars. Rd 24 is not that great either but typical for these parts. I always forget how dusty it is in here; the back window and car rear is always full of dust from my own car and the ones I meet on the road.
We lunched in Smoky Creek Campground just north of the TH with my head net on due to the mosquito patrol working the area but again for some reason they didn't seem to bother Bailey. My dog does let some really smelly farts so I don't know if that's how he was protecting himself or not but whatever he does it works. The trip to Wapiki Lake is about 7 miles in and out with about 1600' elevation gain. We went about 3/4 miles past the lake junction and about 600' higher to get a shot from the west side of the lake looking down into it making it a total of about 8.5 miles and about 2200' total but it's well worth the extra walk.
The trail is in very good shape and has a moderate elevation gain of 1400 feet through the first 2 miles. There were some trapped water and snow banks for Bailey which made it much more enjoyable for both of us. At the lake junction we continued up Trail 34 to get to the west side and 600' higher than the lake. The clouds were lifting so we got a decent look at Adams.
P1050673.JPG
Mt Adams through the clouds
We also had a view to the northwest and I think this is Sawtooth Mtn although it may be Bird Mtn??
P1050694.JPG
Sawtooth Mtn, I think
After navigating several snowfields and determining where the trail was we got to our lookout high above the west side of the lake. Really a beautiful lake with snow in the trees all around the lake and a second lake just south of the main lake.
P1050722.JPG
Snowfields and wet trails
P1050701.JPG
Wapiki Lake from west
P1050704.JPG
Closer look
P1050709.JPG
Side lake south of Wakipi
Found some budding glacier lilies just starting to bloom.
P1050721.JPG
Glacier Lily budding
We started back down the trail stopping to see the lake from the northwest for a different view.
P1050724.JPG
Wapiki from the northwest
P1050730.JPG
Closer look
We had been looking diligently for animals on the hike and Bailey had his nose working but all we found was this alligator - or at least that's how it struck me with it's mouth to the right and that big round eye looking out. There were knobbies all over the tree trunks up here just like a few areas in the Olympics.
P1050736.JPG
Alligator with head to right and round eye
We made it to the lakeshore and found heather starting to bloom along with other flower varieties, however the lake was our main focus. Here are some shots from the east although the sun glare didn't help them out.
P1050742.JPG
Wapiki from the east lake shore
P1050766.JPG
Closer look
P1050771.JPG
Through the fire ring
Bailey decided to drink his fill before heading out but was careful not to get his back wet!!
P1050775.JPG
Bailey keeping his butt dry
Skip

Yankee

Re: Lake Wapiki, Indian Heaven Wilderness 7.7.09

Post by Yankee » July 9th, 2009, 5:18 pm

I've been known to let rip some pretty smelly farts myself, so hopefully when I head up that way in a few weeks, the 'squitoes stay away from me too !!

Great pics and report, as usual...

Jeff

AlexanderSupertramp

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » July 9th, 2009, 6:01 pm

Looks like we were in the same neck of the woods that day Skip. Thanks for the report on what was a great day up there.

anna in boots

Post by anna in boots » July 9th, 2009, 6:04 pm

Hmm, I see this thread has taken a romantic turn.

Wapiti looks loverly, Skip. What color! A true challenger for the reigning beauty queen of Opal Creek and pools. Where'd you get your face netting? Anyplace local and immediate?

anna in boots
Current trip reports at All Thoughts Work™ Outdoors
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

Jane

Post by Jane » July 9th, 2009, 9:54 pm

Anna I got a hat/face net at Andy and Bax a few years ago, REI sells them also.