2016 PCT section hike (9/3 - 9/7)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Chazz

Re: 2016 PCT section hike (9/3 - 9/7)

Post by Chazz » March 7th, 2017, 9:43 am

It was and still is a bit of a bummer, cutting the hike short like that. It was the wise decision but I still don't have to like having to be in the position to make it.

I don't even yet understand why my body reacted this way. The trail was certainly rougher than the previous year's section northbound from Ollalie but I had done a lot of training (weight and cardio) for months before. Obviously there is no way to adequately prepare your body for the daily beating of 20 miles of trail, but I did the best that I could. This year, I will probably do less weight training and more raw miles per week in running, especially trails up on Marquam Hill and Forest Park.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 7th, 2017, 10:05 am

why did you cut your trip short? a little unclear

Chazz

Post by Chazz » March 7th, 2017, 10:44 am

My ankles had become very swollen and painful and my hiking partner was experiencing the same. Blisters and muscles were completely fine this year but the joints decided to voice complaints to management.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 7th, 2017, 12:50 pm

that's weird, I wonder why that was.

A lot of times weak muscles are the root cause, is that your problem?

Sounds like you had a good trip regardless. I've been on about half of that. I'd like to get to the area next to TFJ

mjirving

Post by mjirving » March 7th, 2017, 8:10 pm

My experience is that the best training for hiking is hiking. So while I run a bit it's not a lot. I run a 5K three times a week and that's it. All my training for hiking is simply going hiking before the big one. I also think it's important to do that hiking with weight, one way to do that is to haul water instead of gear, then if you get wiped on a training hike you can dump your water and lighten your load. Before I did my last couple long PCT hikes I did Defiance with a full pack and Dog Mountain a different time with a full pack. If you can...getting a back-to-back long day in is great, but obviously that can be logistically challenging. I find that "day 3" on a long hike is typically when stuff goes bad if if does. Of course all this is anecdotal and just my experience so as they say...HYOH. Get 'em next time! :-)

Mike (aka GoalTech)

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 8th, 2017, 7:37 am

I never do more than 5 nights.

I find that day 1 I'll get exhausted, but it's much better on the rest of the days.

Several times in recent years my knee or hip has bothered me, worse after a few days. Sore, limping, so I back off for a while. The Physical Therapist said to use stationery bike and stretching. I feel much better now, but I'll have to wait a few years to see if I'm really better.

Chazz

Post by Chazz » March 8th, 2017, 10:29 am

mjirving wrote:My experience is that the best training for hiking is hiking.
I totally agree with this and it's one thing that I really missed last year. I did not get out for a lot of day hiking beforehand as the summer was busy and I was already dipping deep into my personal timebank to get the time for the section. I will be endeavoring to do better this year.