Table Rock Wilderness hike 6-8-09

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Jane

Table Rock Wilderness hike 6-8-09

Post by Jane » June 8th, 2009, 10:38 pm

Judith wanted to scout this trail for a hike she is leading this Sunday, June 14 (see at end of report) so I joined her today for this cool-sounding and new-for-me hike.

Our drive from Gateway to the trailhead was about 53 miles, taking us through small towns and windy roads, arriving at the t.h. in one hour and 45 minutes.

We used William Sullivan's Third Edition of "Northwest Oregon and Southwest Wash." guidebook, hike # 89. Our mileages varied slightly from his sometimes, but if you go just watch your odometer and signs!

Directions to Table Rock:
If heading from Portland to Molalla, at the interesection of hwy 213 and hwy 211 (just past a McDonalds and a small shopping complex) turn east (left), this is also known as Main St, go about 2 miles through town, and turn right on So. Mathias Rd. (an Astro gas station is on the left) for about a third mile, then turn left on South Freyer Park Road.
Drive for about 1.6 miles, and turn right on South Dickey Prairie Rd.
Stay on this windy road (with pretty country homes and farms) for about 5.2 miles, start slowing down and take a right at South Molalla Forest Road (poorly marked) - immediately crossing a bridge with a small brown sign directing to "Molalla Recreation Corridor".
There are a few day use areas and outhouses along this road that the Molalla River winds near. Follow this paved road ( we had 11.2 miles, Sullivan has 12.8) to a gentle fork, veer left on a now gravel road (Sullivan calls this Middle Fork Rd., we didn't see a sign).
Travel 2.6 miles and turn right at a small Table Rock pointer sign (green on white and about the size of a paper plate) on a tree. After two more miles, veer left at another small pointer sign (the road you see to the right that you ignore goes to a locked yellow gate). In about 2.1-2.4 miles, the road ends at the parking lot to the trailhead.

This hike starts on an old road,
6-8-09 Table Rock old road part of hike.jpg
with a scattering of spring flowers and melodic birds, and some cool old snag stumps, such as this monster which was about the breadth of a couple SUVs:
6-8-09 Table Rock old gnarled stump.jpg
After about a third mile, you can see the large landslide where the road "crumbles into a chasm" quotes Sullivan. A short but gnarly and rooted trail detours you into the woods for a couple hundred yards or so, then you are out on the road again. After a mile on this, crossing a number of tiny ravine-type-divets and spotting many spring wildflowers,
6-8-09 Table Rock beargrass.jpg
some views,
6-8-09 Table Rock hike views of hills.jpg
you turn up a path into the woods, and see the old t.h. sign.
100_6182.JPG
A hundred yards or so brings you to a trail intersection, veer left, ingnoring the right-turn uphill trail.
The path ascends very gradualy through hemlocks and Doug firs with under stories of ferns, fungied logs, and flowers such as trilliums, paintbrush, oregon grape, wild strawberries, vanilla leaf and much more (Judith counted 26 species on our whole hike).
6-8-09 Table Rock penstemon on rocks.jpg

After of mile of this nice trail, including occassional views of distant rolling hills
and rugged rocky formations
6-8-09 Table Rock trail JZ.jpg
6-8-09 Table Rock hike rocky formations.jpg
6-8-09 Table Rock hike rocky pinnacle.jpg
6-8-09 Table Rock hike rock wall view.jpg

you come to this traverse, "there's a perfectly fine trail over the rocks under there" ;)exclaimed Judith,
6-8-09 Table Rock hike snow on trail.jpg
but today we stepped carefully through slurpy and slippery snow over the boulders,
6-8-09 Table Rock slushy snow traverse.jpg

followed by a short rocky section, starting to get the reaches of devils club and berry brambles vying into the trail,
6-8-09 Table Rock hike rocky section.jpg
all beneath the very cool basalt columns of the Table Rock northside cliff,
6-8-09 Table Rock basalt columns.jpg
After almost two more miles through the pretty and rich smelling woods, you come to a small but distinguishable saddle and trail junction; take a sharp left (the trail to the right goes to Rooster Rock).
This narrow trail switchbacks just under a half mile to the summit ridge, opening,
6-8-09 trail towards Table Rock summitt.jpg
to views of Hood, Washington, Jefferson, and probably many more on a clearer day.
6-8-09 Table Rock view of Jefferson.jpg

There are several short crisscrossing trails on the summit, another viewpoint:
6-8-09 Table Rock summitt.jpg
but we walked back to a nice sunny flat area for our lunch.
6-8-09 view of trail to Table Rock top JG.jpg

There's not quite 360 degrees of horizon views, but out to miles and miles of rolling green hills and buttes, distant regal mountains, and even the patchworks of clearcut and current logging (center of this pic) were interesting to view.
6-9-09 Table Rock logging.jpg
It took us 2 hours and ten minutes to reach the top, 3.6 miles each way on this out and back hike, with 1500' elev. gain (one hour 45 minutes hike return time). The summit is at 4881 feet.

What a neat hike! It feels just different enough from the familiar gorge and mountain hikes, that I wouldn't mind doing it again sometime! If anyone wants to do this hike soon, Judith is leading it this Sunday JUne 14. Thanks Judith!

(Mazama Hike, level B2.3, Jun 14 (Sun) Table Rock (Mollala). Leader Judith Zineski. Not Table Mountain! This odd little hike takes a while to drive to (as in seems interminable, but about 1.75 hours one way), goes around the base of a wonderful rock cliff where we will be too early for gentians, before climbing a long ridge to the summit. If it is pouring, I will do something closer. (Leader pace really 2.3). 7.2 miles 1500 ft. Dr. 135 TH pass needed, depart from Gateway parking garage 8 a.m)

Aridd

Re: Table Rock Wilderness hike 6-8-09

Post by Aridd » June 9th, 2009, 6:50 am

awesome....glad its clear. Thanks for the report!

fettster

Post by fettster » June 10th, 2009, 7:01 am

I did this a few years back in November with Jeff. We had a challenging 20 minute traverse through snow on that north side of Table Rock. I almost wanted to head back after that thinking there might be more ahead, but fortunately that was the toughest stretch. Pretty cool to see some of the sights without snow coverage. Looks like a good day out. I'm guessing you had it all to yourselves?

Jane

Post by Jane » June 10th, 2009, 8:26 am

fettster wrote:I did this a few years back in November with Jeff. We had a challenging 20 minute traverse through snow on that north side of Table Rock. I almost wanted to head back after that thinking there might be more ahead, but fortunately that was the toughest stretch. Pretty cool to see some of the sights without snow coverage. Looks like a good day out. I'm guessing you had it all to yourselves?
Oh I belive that would be a challenge over the boulders with even more snow! Especially avoiding the deep holes inbetween. There was a party of three we passed when we came down thorugh the woods, then a party of four just starting when we were almost back to the cars, and that was it. But we did see foot prints in the snow so someone had been up a day or so before us.

200,000'

Post by 200,000' » March 22nd, 2010, 2:51 pm

It's been many years, and I've been meaning to get back to this Table Rock trail.....thanks for the inspiring post and especially for the driving directions!