A look back on 2015

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Sean Thomas

A look back on 2015

Post by Sean Thomas » January 4th, 2016, 9:41 pm

This is just a look back at some of the adventures Joie and I shared during 2015 that I(mostly) never got around to writing about. It was quite a year in so many ways and honestly I've never felt closer to her and our little dog family :) One of the biggest highlights was a trip to the eastern side of Mt Ranier on a 35 mile Wonderland/Owyhigh Lakes/Eastside loop that toured us through some of the finest scenery on the mountain. This was mid July and even though it was cloudy almost all day it was still one of my fondest memories of the year:

Marmot at Summerland:

Mountain Goats on Panhandle Gap:

One of my favorite photos from the year was taken on the PCT in the Goat Rocks Wilderness:

There were many memorable sunrises, like this one on Larch Mountain on October 9th:

And this one from Bald Butte on a 60 mile Oregon Trail attempt:

Back up toward Ranier and in mid June we hiked up to Norse Peak and dipped down off trail to Basin Lake. It was incredible up there!

That same day we drove up to Sunrise on the flanks of Ranier:

There were wildflowers and raindrops in the spring everywhere from the eastern gorge to the coastal range:

There was also a first time trip to Silver Falls State Park:

And on March 29th, a snow-less Herman Creek/PCT loop with Tomlike and Chinidere:

Rabbit on a logging road on the way to Onion Peak in the coastal range:

And Joie and I admiring the views out over the Pacific from a high-point west of West Onion Peak:

A few visits to the nearby Arcadia Cedar(my head on the right)

More wildflowers on the 400 trail near Wyeth last spring:

And the bridge over Gorton Creek near Wyeth this fall:

Common Murres nesting on Chapman Beach:

Another big highlight was a trip to the Dark Divide in late May. Here's Jo and Jack on the way to Juniper Peak:

It was a cold and wet morning:

We warmed up later that night at camp just across a lonely forest road from the Wobbly Lake TH:

And woke up and took our sleeping bags out before breakfast:

Most of the summer was a real scorcher. To beat the heat we floated around in the Devils Lake Fork of the Wilson River and swam in the ocean a few times. I think I've gained about ten pounds since this picture was taken(can we blame Santa, or ice cream?) ;)

There was a memorable trip to the House Rock Shelter near the Lewis River in late April:

And a great trip to a very green Gorton Creek Falls on my birthday(Joie's on the left)

There was harmony restored:

And a trip to Red Mountain with old friends:

Fall brought with it so much beauty, like this morning scene at Eagle Creek:

And this rainy midday shot from the old highway near Horsetail Falls:

A short exploration up Harphan Creek made for another fun adventure:

On the way back from the lowest tier of the falls up Harpan Creek Joie spotted a Larch Mountain Salamander:

In early November we hiked a stormy Smith Creek/Plains of Abraham Loop from Lava Canyon:

The storm hit really hard just before we reached the plains in the afternoon:

Fall also brought more big trees, including a fun exploration to a few rarely seen giants up Herman Creek:

There were lots of mushrooms popping up all over the forest floor:

Icy Indian Racetrack and Elk near Wind River in late November:

Black Friday at Covell Creek Falls and Burley Mountain near Randle, Washington:

There was a trip to the gorge to see a few waterfalls on one of the rainiest days in recorded history(dec 7th). A day rainy enough to help an old waterfall come back to life :)

And then most recently, there was the snow. Jo and I set out for Green Point mountain a few weeks ago but decided to cut it short, making a snowman and getting in the holiday spirit at the Casey Creek/Nick Eaton junction:

Camp Creek was raging pretty good on the way back to the TH but not enough to keep our spirits down :)

The next day we drove up to the gate on Larch with the pups and made another giant snowman about a 1/3 mile up from the gate. Apparently, not everyone was ok with that :lol:

On Christmas Eve we took the gang back to the gorge to see a few waterfalls before a nice quiet night at home. Here is Cabin Creek Falls on Christmas Eve with Santa's Hat:

Little Santa on the way over to Lower Ruckle Falls:

And Tanner Creek that same morning:

On the 28th we hiked the PCT from Cascade Locks to Dry Creek Falls. The dogs had a good romp in the snow at the powerlines and then we hit the falls, looking really beautiful in winter garb:

Determined to get out a lot during the break I went for a short run on the Marquam Trail on the 29th and made another stab at Green Point on the 30th. All the blowdown on Nick Eaton and the deep snow higher up had me calling it off again only this time I headed back from the Casey Creek junction to hit Peak 3152 and Indian Point. I carved "Hope" in huge letters on the mountainside as to be read from the air(or below) but couldn't fit it all in the picture, so it looks like hop :lol:

To end the year I got to see an old friend and we hiked up to the top of Larch Mountain, which was pretty wild on New Years Eve:

All in all I feel really fortunate for all that I have and hope to continue tromping all over the PNW with the person I love most. Last year brought lots of ups and downs but as time heals wounds it will also bring an ever increasing fondness to the good memories. Looking back over the last 5 years I have hiked just over 9,000 miles, never dreaming that my feet could have taken me to so many unforgettable places with so many amazing people. Again, thanks to this community for all the support and motivation and for an incredible resource that many of us practically call home when it comes to e-hiking ;) Happy 2016 OH :)
Last edited by Sean Thomas on January 5th, 2016, 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

bobcat

Re: A look back on 2015

Post by bobcat » January 5th, 2016, 6:44 am

Vicariously, I have been in your shoes all year (while comfortably seated at my desktop), but this photo display is stunning. Methinks you should publish your own calendar!

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » January 5th, 2016, 8:34 am

Well done! Sean, you're starting to remind me of Galen Rowell - who combined superb athlete/climber, amazing phtographer, and great writer in one. Being able to do all three at once is a rare gift.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » January 5th, 2016, 3:05 pm

Beautiful photos!! Thanks for letting us see some of your trip vicariously.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » January 5th, 2016, 5:08 pm

Hey thanks guys. We actually did make a few calendars and gave them out as Christmas gifts. People seemed really happy with them.

Naturebat

Post by Naturebat » January 6th, 2016, 1:34 am

Beautiful photos!

Many photos from the Gifford Pinchot and Mt. Rainier, my favorite places!
- Previously ElementalFX

Hagbard Celine

Post by Hagbard Celine » January 6th, 2016, 10:43 am

Wander here a whole summer, if you can. Thousands of God's wild blessings will search you and soak you as if you were a sponge, and the big days will go by uncounted. If you are business-tangled, and so burdened by duty that only weeks can be got out of the heavy-laden year ... give a month at least to this precious reserve. The time will not be taken from the sum of your life. Instead of shortening, it will indefinitely lengthen it and make you truly immortal.

~John Muir~

You are legend here on OH and truly an immortal out there Sean! Thanks for sharing!
“I have learned that success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome while trying to succeed.”
― Booker T. Washington

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » January 6th, 2016, 11:27 am

Really wonderful report and inspiring as well. Look forward to hearing more about your adventures.
Woodswalker

Jack

Post by Jack » January 6th, 2016, 4:12 pm

To say your TR leaves me in awe is an understatement. Thanks Sean! Incredible yearend summary.

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » January 6th, 2016, 8:50 pm

Thanks everybody :) no real legend here but I appreciate the support from all of you! Looking back always reminds me of the variety of hiking destinations(coast, alpine, east of cascades etc) that we have to choose from living here in the PNW. Hopefully next year brings many more happy memories in the outdoors for all of us.