Urban Hiking the 4T Trail

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Arturo

Urban Hiking the 4T Trail

Post by Arturo » September 19th, 2015, 4:48 pm

My Harry's Ridge hike with la famiglia fell apart this morning (I have a very non-morning type family) so I had to throw something together quick. I usually reserve the 4T for when family or friends come in to visit ... it's not strenuous ... you get some nice views ... and can have a nice lunch downtown. With time dwindling and clouds due in the afternoon, I said what the heck. A solo jaunt around town sounds good.

I threw a twist into the 4T and made it a 5T (trail, tram, trolley, train and Tilikum) by adding a back and forth over the new Tilikum Crossing bridge.

The traditional starting point is the zoo, but when I pulled into the parking lot I was surprised to find that parking is now $1.60 per hour. Since a TriMet pass is required for this hike, I drove back to the Sunset Transit Center, parked there for free and took the train one stop to the zoo to start the hike.

The start is a little confusing ... though since the last time I did this they have added a lot of signage. And it's needed because you kind of exit the zoo, cross the freeway over a bridge, then turn left onto the on ramp for 26 East. It's a really short distance til you hit the trailhead, but still ... it's weird walking along the highway on-ramp.

The hiking part of the trail is supposed to be 4.5 miles. No GPS today so I can't verify, but it felt like it. Also not sure how long the Tilikum Crossing is, but that got added to today's total. So the trail is actually the Marquam Trail and it's your average urban trail ... there's no solitude here but that wasn't the point today. Still ... some parts felt secluded and leafy:

The trail rises up until you get to the street. There are more signs here ... but basically you come out of the trees, go right and then left at the corner. About 1/8 of a mile further and you are right at Council Crest Park. Climb the easy grade to the top and check out the sights (St. Helens, Adams, Hood, the airport, downtown).

At the Hood lookout you go back into the trees and follow the signs down to the street again. Turn right and follow the long and winding road through a cool neighborhood with nice houses, many of them hillside on stilts:

Your next stop is OHSU for the tram, so when you come to the Hospital sign with the blue H, make a left there and stroll down to the medical center. You have to enter the hospital and follow signs inside the building to the tram (another weirdish quirk). It was a great day to ride the tram down (it's free going down ... you pay if you go back up which this hike doesn't do). The major peaks were all visible ... the river, the bridges and the foothills remind you of why you live in Portland ... or don't if you're not so inclined. But it was a beautiful representation of our city today ... the kind you hope for when showing your guests around:

After exiting the tram, I walked down to the new Tilikum Crossing and crossed it back and forth before getting on the trolley:

At this point, it's a personal choice where you go before heading to the last T (train) for the ride to your car. You could do NW 23rd or the Pearl ... the riverfront if there's an event on ... or Pioneer Square (today Feast PDX was on but they were sold out when I arrived). I opted to head to a favorite sandwich joint off Burnside for a Porchetta with gremolata and caper mayo. So fatty around the edges but it's that crisped fat ... crunchy and creamy at the same time ... and well, once in a while you gotta splurge the calories:

After lunch I checked out some of the new construction going on in the city ... window shopping ... just enjoying the city and the people. I passed Feast again and tried to bribe one of the security guards at an inconspicuous gate but no dice. So I boarded the MAX and took it a couple of stops to my car for the ride home. Whole trip was maybe 4 hours.

As always ... living on the edge:

bobcat

Re: Urban Hiking the 4T Trail

Post by bobcat » September 20th, 2015, 8:56 am

Thanks for the report! It's always good to have those fallback outings in the city when weather/time don't cooperate. We're lucky that way, I think.

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » September 20th, 2015, 9:38 am

Nice report on a cool urban trail, and way to add on the fifth T. That's a good idea and I think we will copy your route soon. We enjoy this one as well and found the walking next to the highway to be very odd. And thanks for the tip on starting from Sunset instead. I find the expensive parking at the zoo to be annoying as well.
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

Paul2

Post by Paul2 » September 20th, 2015, 1:19 pm

I've always thought that the elevator should be added to the trail name. It doesn't start with T, but it is another mode of transportation required for the loop.
I remember hiking up the hill from 26, it was so loud you couldn't hear yourself talk. My aunt used to live near a freeway, she said it eventually just sounded like the ocean.
Nice report.
I've been wandering early and late, from New York City to the Golden Gate, and it don't look like I'll ever stop my wandering.
-James Taylor

ghsmith76

Post by ghsmith76 » September 22nd, 2015, 10:17 am

Thanks for the report, I plan on doing at least 4Ts tomorrow with my wife.
GHSMITH76
Blog:AdventureContinues.org

littlefeet

Post by littlefeet » September 23rd, 2015, 2:11 pm

We made it a 4T +B (bus from home to save driving/parking hassles).
What to do with your friends from Europe? Show 'em PORTLAND. :D
We did the longer trail route keeping to the woods. It was odd going from warm/sweaty to the inside of the hospital to find the Tram.
My walk mapping app recorded our route at 4.3 miles (including the tram descent... or 3.7 for the walking portion).
And the view from Council Crest was great albeit smoky/hazy..
Attachments
4T section.JPG
section of 4T from highway to hospital
Life is too short to wear tight shoes!