Tom Dick and Harry ridge hike 1.31.2015

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
aircooled

Tom Dick and Harry ridge hike 1.31.2015

Post by aircooled » January 31st, 2015, 9:10 pm

We headed up to the mountain today with our snowshoes (just in case), but it was clear that we wouldn't be needing them for a loop hike along the Tom Dick and Harry ridge. This 7 mile trek starts at Ski Bowl, climbs the slopes to the summit and then traverses the ridge going west until reaching the rock field where most hikers go starting at the Mirror Lake TH on Highway 26. The sandwich boards prohibiting parking have been removed and the lot (free of snow of course) was full, as was the overflow lot a few hundred yards up the highway. With the crowds on the trail today, I was happy to be taking the tranquil, uncrowded Ski Bowl approach.

Once reaching the summit there are fairly well defined user trails along the ridge. Our return included a short bushwhack from Mirror Lake to Ski Bowl. I wouldn't recommend this route unless you really like willow and devil's club. However it did lead directly to a bike run just west of Ski Bowl and an easy exit that doesn't require crossing Camp Creek.

http://gpsfly.org/g/3958

A better route was the one I did a year ago, although I dropped too low and had to climb a little ways to hit the mountain bike trail.

http://gpsfly.org/g/2988

On a beautiful sunny day like this, the ridge offers outstanding views.

Not much snow at the warming hut.

Warm enough to hike without gloves or a fleece cap.

The ski trail had some snow. Manmade?

You know who...

Snow on the ridgeline was maybe a foot deep at most and very consolidated.

Mt. Jefferson!

The view west along the ridge

Looking east along the ridge

Mirror Lake

I've never seen it this bare in January!

Lots of people on the "official" summit

Lack of snow causing Mt. Hood to shrink!

The view from Mirror Lake

We ended the bushwhack from the lake at these ramps

Splintercat

Re: Tom Dick and Harry ridge hike 1.31.2015

Post by Splintercat » February 2nd, 2015, 11:13 pm

Thanks, Jeff -- excellent report and great recon on the route! Very strange to see so little snow up there... but I'm gradually resigning myself to the possibility that this is the new norm. :|

Nice to hear that ODOT has relented on the parking ban... for the moment...

Tom :)

mjuliana

Re: Tom Dick and Harry ridge hike 1.31.2015

Post by mjuliana » February 3rd, 2015, 11:35 am

Splintercat wrote:
Nice to hear that ODOT has relented on the parking ban... for the moment...

Tom :)
Nice. We did a variation of the loop last summer. We started at Skibowl but went the other way.

Parking at Mirror Lake TH: We drove by on our way home from Meadows on Saturday. The no parking signs are still in the main lot (ignored by all) and there is a newer sign on the north side of the highway (construction side) indicating no parking on highway shoulder.
Thanks,
Mike J