Hunchback Mountain, Jan 31, 2015

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
kdechant

Hunchback Mountain, Jan 31, 2015

Post by kdechant » January 31st, 2015, 8:40 pm

Took a Mazamas group up to Hunchback Ridge today. Went from Zigzag Ranger Station to the Great Pyramid viewpoint, 9 mi rt, 2900' elevation gain. Nice views of Hood (Rockpile viewpoint was the best) and a brief glimpse of St. Helens from the Great Pyramid viewpoint.

There was no snow anywhere on the ridge. Highest elevation we reached was 4030'. Weather was near freezing in the morning but in the 50s by noon, and sunny with a few wispy clouds. We could see a few small snow patches at the tops of some distant mountains.

Trail is mostly in decent condition except for several large downed trees, some of which we had to bushwhack around. In one spot about a mile from the ranger station, a large tree fell away from the trail, and its root ball took half the trail with it. Left a 5' deep hole. Slightly treacherous but passable.

Interestingly, though most of the hike is in the Salmon-Huckleberry wilderness, I couldn't find a self-issue wilderness permit box. There wasn't one on the signboard at the trailhead, nor outside the ranger station. The ranger station itself was closed because it's Saturday.

-Q-

Re: Hunchback Mountain, Jan 31, 2015

Post by -Q- » February 2nd, 2015, 4:41 pm

How much farther up trail past the Rockpile is this Great Pyramid viewpoint??
Is it right on the trail or is there a spur trail like the Rockpile has??

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » February 5th, 2015, 10:23 am

Interestingly, though most of the hike is in the Salmon-Huckleberry wilderness, I couldn't find a self-issue wilderness permit box. There wasn't one on the signboard at the trailhead, nor outside the ranger station.
That could just be in their backlog to install, as the summit ridge formed the wilderness boundary until just a few years ago (when the north side came in with the Lewis & Clark Wilderness Act). I've noticed the same in other areas brought in under the wilderness bill.

Thanks for posting - and welcome to the forum!

Tom :)

greenjello85

Post by greenjello85 » February 5th, 2015, 10:51 am

I hike mostly the BOTW and salmon huckleberry Wildernesses and I can't remember the last time I saw a permit box with permits inside. it's almost like the FS just stopped keeping track.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » February 5th, 2015, 10:56 am

greenjello85 wrote:I hike mostly the BOTW and salmon huckleberry Wildernesses and I can't remember the last time I saw a permit box with permits inside. it's almost like the FS just stopped keeping track.
They do, on Oct 1 each year. (Not sure when they restock the permits in Spring?)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

kdechant

Post by kdechant » February 14th, 2015, 11:24 am

-Q- wrote:How much farther up trail past the Rockpile is this Great Pyramid viewpoint??
The Great Pyramid is about 2 miles past the Rockpile. First you reach the helispot, about 1 mile from the Rockpile, which is a side trail going to the right. (There is a sign for it, but not very obvious. We actually missed it on the way in.) Then another mile to the sign for the Great Pyramid. The main trail turns left at this point, and the viewpoint is straight ahead 100 yards or so along a spur trail. There is no view of Hood from there, but you can get a brief glimpse of St. Helens.

-Q-

Post by -Q- » February 14th, 2015, 8:56 pm

kdechant wrote:
-Q- wrote:How much farther up trail past the Rockpile is this Great Pyramid viewpoint??
The Great Pyramid is about 2 miles past the Rockpile. First you reach the helispot, about 1 mile from the Rockpile, which is a side trail going to the right. (There is a sign for it, but not very obvious. We actually missed it on the way in.) Then another mile to the sign for the Great Pyramid. The main trail turns left at this point, and the viewpoint is straight ahead 100 yards or so along a spur trail. There is no view of Hood from there, but you can get a brief glimpse of St. Helens.
Awesome, thanks for the info :D