Lower Deschutes Overnight: 2 Sprengers and a (Fur)Baby

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
sprengers4jc

Lower Deschutes Overnight: 2 Sprengers and a (Fur)Baby

Post by sprengers4jc » January 31st, 2015, 7:39 pm

The last couple of weeks were so warm and dry that we decided to take advantage of that and do an early season overnight on the Lower Deschutes last weekend. This was only our third backpacking trip ever, and having never camped this early in the season, we brought a few extra items that came in handy to combat the cold while still keeping our pack weight down (handwarmers, down booties, extra socks, base layers, etc.)

We had planned to camp at the same place we camped at last year with our friend David (about 3.5 miles in from the trailhead). But it was a gorgeous day and last year, we had visited an abandoned boxcar at around mile 6 and decided on the spur of the moment to camp in it instead (in hindsight, it would have been nice to leave the 6 pounds of tent at home...).

It was beautifully sunny and a little warm, right around 60 degrees. Mag was all smiles, and so were we. When we made it to the boxcar, the sun was starting to go down over the canyon walls and we hadn't seen any other backpackers and knew we would be alone for the night. Perfect.

We set up camp and then cooked dinner and had a small fire (someone has even put down a sheet of metal so the fire leaves no trace). The long night of darkness was starting to catch up to us and Tracy declared herself ready for bed...at 8 p.m. We talked for awhile instead and enjoyed the views of the stars through the open windows and doors. Overnight temps dropped near the high 30s and some condensation formed. The biggest obstacles to camping in January are overnight low temperatures and the long nights of darkness. The darkness is what got me, as it played tricks on my mind lol. In hindsight, we should have slept in the tent, as it certainly would have been warmer. Live and learn, I guess :) .

Rivière des Chutes, the name given to the river by 19th-century fur traders, means 'River of the Falls.' It is perfectly named, as we saw many rapids along its length and its sound lulled us to sleep. The views of the Deschutes River Canyon, especially when the sky is covered with stars during a waxing moon phase, made every little ache, pain and worry worth it. The trains go by every couple of hours, which can sound rather loud, but we were miles from anyone and completely alone. It was very awe-inspiring and a much-needed bit of relaxation for us both.

As we headed home on the trail the next day, we heard multiple songs from Oregon's state bird, the Western Meadowlark, singing and heralding...spring? I guess we will take an early spring :). Regardless, our overnight stay on the Deschutes was a memorable one for many reasons, and an experience we will cherish.

A new two-day backpacking total for us of over 12 miles. GPS track: http://gpsfly.org/a/3931
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
Greenery abounds!
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

romann

Re: Lower Deschutes Overnight: 2 Sprengers and a (Fur)Baby

Post by romann » February 1st, 2015, 12:33 am

Nice report! That's beautiful area.

It's pretty cool to camp in your own cabin with a view.

UTurn

Post by UTurn » February 1st, 2015, 7:16 am

I love picture #5 and #12! Nice!

AAdamsPDX

Post by AAdamsPDX » February 1st, 2015, 8:20 am

Enjoyed your report - thank you! I've had a few Sunday nights recently where I've thought "Darn, it would have been totally possible to do an overnight this weekend without snow camping. What a missed opportunity!" Good for you for going for it!
"The world begins where the road ends." ~Eddie Vedder
http://www.hriggsphotography.com/

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » February 1st, 2015, 9:07 am

Thanks, all. We had a great time and really love that trail! One of these days, we will make it all the way to the end of it on foot :).
-Unknown

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » February 1st, 2015, 5:07 pm

Nice hike!

I've camped in that railroad car before

Did you get water from the river?

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » February 1st, 2015, 9:51 pm

retired jerry wrote:Nice hike!

I've camped in that railroad car before

Did you get water from the river?
Hi Jerry, we brought three liters with us but as usual in such a dry area, we drank all of it so I purified another 1.5 liters from the river. First time using the Sawyer Squeeze (NOT recommended--definitely got more water in my shoes than in that thing) and the Sawyer Mini (highly recommended) :D . I hope there isn't some reason not to have gotten water from there...:/.
-Unknown

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » February 2nd, 2015, 7:04 am

I drink from the Deschutes, but I wonder, because it drains Bend, Madras, Redmond. There is a lot of water though to dilute anything. It looks pretty clear.

How is it you got more water in your shoes with Squeeze?

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » February 2nd, 2015, 7:48 am

retired jerry wrote: How is it you got more water in your shoes with Squeeze?
Standing at the edge of the river to try to scoop the water with the squeeze was not working well, so I had to get closer than I liked and the small waves coming into shore kept overlapping my shoes :lol: .

As for drinking from the Deschutes, this is the second time we have done it using a filter and haven't gotten sick yet ;).
-Unknown

texasbb

Post by texasbb » February 2nd, 2015, 8:40 am

retired jerry wrote:I drink from the Deschutes, but I wonder, because it drains Bend, Madras, Redmond. There is a lot of water though to dilute anything. It looks pretty clear.
I think the main concern is chemicals--fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides, etc--the filter will deal with everything else. Unfortunately, the only other option is a few dribbly sources in the tributary canyons, but those all come down from agricultural land, too. My approach is to filter, drink, and not worry since I'll only be in there for brief periods. I'm pretty sure I get a heavier dose of nastiness just walking by Abercrombie and Fitch in the mall. :|