Douglas Trail from the west (Harvey Rd trailhead)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
AaronPDX

Douglas Trail from the west (Harvey Rd trailhead)

Post by AaronPDX » January 30th, 2015, 11:52 pm

Hello good Portland hiking people!

Went up Douglas Trail today. All fine, but muddy in spots on the Eagle Creek trail leading up to Douglas Trail junction. And before that, coming up Harvey Rd from the west, big-time mud-filled potholes! Definitely for the all-wheel-drive vehicles this time of year.

Many newly downed trees on both trails so plan for a bit of stepping over or crouching under, or bring that trusty handsaw for a day's work in trail maintenance!

Only went a few miles up Douglas, maybe a mile beyond the junction with decommissioned FS road 255 (at least I believe that's the name of the overgrown asphalt road that connects the west portion with the east portion). Got to the creek crossing -- quite nice stepping stones to cross it -- and went a bit farther. Unfortunately there was ample evidence of unconscious visitors, the worst being a little burn site of plastic cups, a cassette tape, etc. Disgusting. I packed a bit of trash out with me though. (Note to self: always keep an empty trash bag in each pack.)

On return, long period of gun shots south of the west trail side (on the mountain south of Eagle Creek Trail?). Definitely took me out of the peaceful nature vibe and into the ashamed-of-my-culture vibe.

All told, though, a nice day outing and the weather was heavenly.

Splintercat

Re: Douglas Trail from the west (Harvey Rd trailhead)

Post by Splintercat » February 3rd, 2015, 7:30 pm

Thanks for packing some of that trash out, Aaron -- always disgusting to see how a few people treat our public lands, but thankfully people like that are in the minority... but annoying, nonetheless. Ugh. :x

TKO has been working with the USFS to gradually improve the trailhead access in the Wildcat area, with the hopes of eventually chasing off the shooters/dumpers/off-roaders. More hikers will definitely have that effect, as the people who shoot/dump/drive off-road up there are well aware that they're breaking the law... and thus fear being watched by law-abiders.

I've posted this photo many times, but it never fails to be therapeutic for those who think that shooters aren't held accountable: a few years ago I happened upon a Clackamas County deputy who had busted some illegal shooters at the wide pullout near the upper Douglas trailhead -- they were on their knees picking up their brass (and probably more than that)... I snuck a picture as I drove slowly by:

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

-Tom :)

greenjello85

Post by greenjello85 » February 3rd, 2015, 8:54 pm

I had always avoided areas like wildcat and tumalo because of the crowds that were up there. I recently walked all over the wildcat area. There is still a lot of trash but it's getting better! The parking areas are trashed but the trails are actually fairly nice and so close to Portland. The new mcintyre ridge th actually has offroaders driving up the trail! As Tom said, the more hikers that use the area, the better it will get. I also heard gunshots up there. Thanks for sharing and picking up some trash!
Dan

AaronPDX

Post by AaronPDX » February 19th, 2015, 3:28 pm

Thanks Tom and Dan. Very validating! :)

Hoping to hike to the east end of Douglas this weekend, possibly camp.

AaronPDX

Post by AaronPDX » March 2nd, 2015, 7:27 pm

Did the full Douglas Trail Saturday. That quarry is a frightening and sad site, but just a few dozen feet beyond, where the trail continues to the east, what a jaw-droppingly beautiful spot and view! (As long as you avoid looking down to the right, at the trash-strewn south side of the quarry.)

Crossed paths with 4 different parties and all seemed pretty cool, which gives me hope for the area. Was able to pack out most of that burn trash I mentioned before, too.

Next to try McIntyre ridge...
Attachments
IMG_1895 small.jpg
View from Wildcat Mtn

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » March 2nd, 2015, 8:04 pm

Hey, thanks for bringing good karma to that area, Aaron! :)

BTW, that viewpoint just beyond the quarry? It's one of the few easily accessible places where you can see Chak Chak Falls -- across the canyon with a very long zoom:

I first noticed it way back in the early 80s, and finally got around to going in there with a group in 2008... nice big falls hidden in the wilderness!

Tom :)

AaronPDX

Post by AaronPDX » March 3rd, 2015, 12:06 am

I read your account of the Chak Chak expedition... intriguing. I'll try to spot it next time i'm at that viewpoint.

Speaking of trailblazing... do you know if anyone has ever tried to climb up (south) to Baldy Lake from Eagle Creek Trail (501)? Looks like about 2000' elevation gain in 1.3 miles or so...

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » March 3rd, 2015, 1:14 pm

Yes! Pablo posted a report on it shortly after our trip to Chak Chak Falls:

Old Baldy Mtn & Lake

Tom :)

AaronPDX

Post by AaronPDX » March 3rd, 2015, 2:54 pm

Very cool, Tom (and Pablo)! I'm excited to give it a try.