Green Pt. Mt. – 4th time is a charm 1-25-15

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Jack

Green Pt. Mt. – 4th time is a charm 1-25-15

Post by Jack » January 27th, 2015, 4:12 pm

After doing this hike 3 times, previously, over the last 3 months in heavy rain, light snow, and moderate sleet and hail, I just couldn’t seem to get above the clouds. The 4th time was a charm, only there were no clouds to get above. It was a beautiful t-shirt day, even at 4700’, in January.

Started at the Herman Cr. TH and headed up Nick Eaton Way. The Herman Creek drainage and Wooly Horn Ridge from 2400’.

Down the Columbia and Table Mt. on the right.

Adams from around 3400’ on the steeps leading up to the top of Nick Eaton Ridge

Mt. Defiance from the Casey Creek jct. at 4000’

---Image[/url]

From the beginning of the switchbacks leading up to the Green Pt. plateau

Spitfire on the go

Snow was patchy to none above 4400’

Drifts were a little deeper the last 100’ to the top, but made for a fun contrasting tread

The summit was bare and dry

Rainy Lake and a bare looking Mt. Defiance across the way

Rainier and Adams

Hood

Down at the junction with Rainy-Whatum Tr., Gorton Cr./Green Pt. Mt. Tr., and Herman Cr. Cutoff Tr. on the other side.

It was here at the start of the Herman Cr. Cutoff Tr. that the final patch of snow was seen on the south side.

Entering Cedar Swamp area at 2900’

A Douglas and a Cedar coexisting on the Herman Cr. Tr.

The 2 main creek crossings were easy, but not with dry boots

Slide Creek Falls

The other falls coming down from No Name Cr.

They were amazing conditions, if not a little scary from the lack of snow, up there. Hoping we all can enjoy it while we can, and for a late snow pack. It was a fun day on the trail. 19 miles/5200’ gain.

Last edited by Jack on July 17th, 2015, 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sean Thomas

Re: Green Pt. Mt. – 4th time is a charm 1-25-15

Post by Sean Thomas » January 27th, 2015, 4:33 pm

Great loop and great pics! I love that shot of the Herman Creek drainage.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » January 27th, 2015, 5:32 pm

Wow, I still haven't seen anything but fog from Green Point. Your report gives me reason to keep on hoping. (Next time up will be the fourth, afterall!) Beautiful shots. We were a couple bumps to the west, soaking up sun on Tanner. Most awesome day!!!
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

sgyoung

Post by sgyoung » January 27th, 2015, 6:20 pm

Wow - those pictures are amazing. This one just got added to my (ever growing) list of hikes to do when next in the gorge. Thanks for posting this TR and glad the weather cooperated with you this time!

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » January 27th, 2015, 7:58 pm

Jack wrote: The summit was bare and dry

Amazing! I was up there the day before you and there was still some snow.

#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Jack

Post by Jack » January 28th, 2015, 10:37 am

Sean Thomas wrote:Great loop and great pics! I love that shot of the Herman Creek drainage.
Thanks Sean. I’m always expecting to run into you out there near Cedar Swamp and the Herman Cr. Tr., somewhere. All I would see is a flash as you zipped by, though. :D
kepPNW wrote: We were a couple bumps to the west, soaking up sun on Tanner. Most awesome day!!!
The 360’s on Tanner, to me, are the best in the gorge, Karl. Nice choice for such a springlike day. Did you see many other hikers up there? We didn't see any until down around 1800' on the Herman Cr. Tr.
sgyoung wrote:This one just got added to my (ever growing) list of hikes to do when next in the gorge.
You'll love this hike. It's is one of my favorites in the gorge, although the snow gets quite deep during normal winters. Then it’s a great snowshoe.
Bosterson wrote:Amazing! I was up there the day before you and there was still some snow.
It looked like it had been melting fast, alright, Nat. Needless to say, the bypass trail just a few feet behind those trees still had a good 6” of very wet snow as did the trail on the south side of the summit for quite aways.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » January 28th, 2015, 11:44 am

Jack wrote:
kepPNW wrote: We were a couple bumps to the west, soaking up sun on Tanner. Most awesome day!!!
The 360’s on Tanner, to me, are the best in the gorge, Karl. Nice choice for such a springlike day. Did you see many other hikers up there? We didn't see any until down around 1800' on the Herman Cr. Tr.
Totally agree! Brought two friends up who'd never been, and I think they wondered about my claiming that "best of" status as we marched through miles of trees. But the expressions on top were priceless! Only folks we saw all day were TFFs MarsIsCobra and Obera, just leaving the summit as we arrived. PH just seems to own Tanner in January. Really expected/hoped to find you and Spitfire up there, too. I know it's one of your Sunday haunts. :)

Speaking of 360's, ... here's a photosphere I took on top that day.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » January 28th, 2015, 7:45 pm

Nice report, Jack. Sunday sure was an amazing day for January. As I wandered around a couple dozen miles to the west of you, I wondered what it was like even higher up as I encountered warmer and warmer breezes as I climbed higher. I just love inversions! (though, some real winter weather would not hurt - I'd like to justify the expense of all my winter gear!)

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller