Shirtsleeves and no snow at Coldwater lake

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
woodswalker

Shirtsleeves and no snow at Coldwater lake

Post by woodswalker » January 27th, 2015, 9:30 am

I went with a meetup group on Sunday to hike the loop around Coldwater Lake. I hadn't been up to that area since the blowup in the 80's. I had spent a lot of time up there prior to that in that general area so I was curious to see what the mountain looked like now. We had originally planned a snowshoe but there was no snow at all so we left the snowshoes at home and switched to a hike.

We were doing the loop counter clockwise so parked at the boat ramp and did the road walk over to South Coldwater Trailhead.

The area is covered in leafless Alder right now so it felt very open and sunny. Pretty much immediately switched out of winter gear into tee shirts and shorts! Lots of vistas of the surrounding area as we climbed.
View back down to Coldwater Lake. Where is all the snow!
Before too long we came to the machinery monuments.
Our lunch spot views

Looking into the blast crater of Mt St Helens from about 4000 feet
Mt Minnie and the only snow we saw all day.

After lunch we moved pretty quickly down the ridge and crossed over to the northern side of the lake at the bridge. I expected to lose the views once we descended the ridge, but with the leaves down on the Alders we still had some great vistas
Still amazing views from the north shore!

Almost back to the boat ramp!Looking back to Mt Minnie
One final shot of Mt St Helens and we made it back to the boat ramp at dusk.
It was a great day with beautiful views, but we really need tons more snow!

retired jerry

Re: Shirtsleeves and no snow at Coldwater lake

Post by retired jerry » January 27th, 2015, 9:46 am

What's funny is, when I hiked around there in 1960s, there were old, rusting mining and timber relics.

Now, we have new relics.

weathercrazy

Post by weathercrazy » January 27th, 2015, 10:32 am

How was crossing that waterfall on the north side of the lake? It's usually rushing so much you're bound to get wet.

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » January 27th, 2015, 12:25 pm

retired jerry wrote:What's funny is, when I hiked around there in 1960s, there were old, rusting mining and timber relics.

Now, we have new relics.
It's true and the newish ones are both photographically fascinating and a bit eerie at the same time.
Woodswalker

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » January 27th, 2015, 12:28 pm

weathercrazy wrote:How was crossing that waterfall on the north side of the lake? It's usually rushing so much you're bound to get wet.
Crossing was actually fine. One long step to a rock that was just a hair under the water and another long step to the bank which was very steep. A helping hand as I landed was much appreciated. I think it was helpful that there had been no rain in awhile and there sure wasn't anything to melt up above.
Woodswalker

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » January 27th, 2015, 6:04 pm

I really can't get over the lack of snow up there! A year ago yesterday, we went up South Coldwater, and even though that was an incredibly low snow year there was still far more than you saw. Which, I suppose, means there actually was snow, so it's not saying much. :lol:

Looks like you had a great day! The reflection shots off the lake are habit forming. :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

romann

Post by romann » January 27th, 2015, 9:52 pm

Great pictures, especially one with red sunset on Minnie (I can almost "hear" how quiet it was). This loop is one of my favorites, I just like to do it in other direction, to see the reflections of Minnie Peak first half of the hike.

It seems strange to not have any snow, and not see greenery popping up everywhere - I think the nights are still pretty cold there.

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » January 28th, 2015, 8:37 am

romann wrote:Great pictures, especially one with red sunset on Minnie (I can almost "hear" how quiet it was). This loop is one of my favorites, I just like to do it in other direction, to see the reflections of Minnie Peak first half of the hike.

It seems strange to not have any snow, and not see greenery popping up everywhere - I think the nights are still pretty cold there.
It area was indeed so very quiet! Also we saw absolutely no one on the trail all day. There was a fisherman in his boat on the lake and that was it.

Karl@ "Looks like you had a great day! The reflection shots off the lake are habit forming. :)"
So true! Now I want to up there with some of my photographer friends. I'm looking forward to going back and exploring the area with longer days when I can take more time with pictures.
Woodswalker

payslee

Post by payslee » January 28th, 2015, 9:00 am

woodswalker wrote: So true! Now I want to up there with some of my photographer friends. I'm looking forward to going back and exploring the area with longer days when I can take more time with pictures.
Woodswalker
I second that! I thought about MSH for last weekend but trouble with headlight glare makes long drives in the dark a no-go for me. But I want to go back!

I also highly recommend the Hummocks to Johnston Ridge (or beyond) route. Amazing Helens views the whole way, hardly any folks, and crazy flowers in June.

ttys,
payslee