A Perfect Day on the Lewis River (1-25-15)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
AAdamsPDX

A Perfect Day on the Lewis River (1-25-15)

Post by AAdamsPDX » January 26th, 2015, 7:52 pm

Like many of you, I couldn't resist a perfect, warm Sunday in January. Unlike many of you, I chose a river hike over a view hike - with the lure of big trees and hopefully some fog for mystery. I was not disappointed!
Lewis River_0006.jpg
I hiked along the Lewis River Trail from the lower trailhead on FR 9309 (near Curly Creek Falls). I only made it as far as the Bolt Camp shelter because my hike went something like this: walk a quarter mile, photograph a tree for 15 minutes. Walk 50 feet. Repeat. The low winter light, combined with the constantly-rising mist as the sun warmed the trees, was amazing.

I love cedars. Each has its own personality, and these cedars are among my favorites:
Lewis River_0011.jpg
I've seen some interesting fungi in my life, but nothing quite like this. What are we looking at here?
IMG_1258.jpg
Someone has done some amazing trail/bridge work since the last time I was here:
Lewis River_0104.jpg
Maybe at the same time as the shelter was restored?
IMG_1259.jpg
Lewis River_0075.jpg
And here are some more photos from the day:
IMG_1246.jpg
Lewis River_0025.jpg
Lewis River_0043.jpg
Lewis River_0070.jpg
Lewis River_0094.jpg
Lewis River_0102.jpg
Lewis River_0107.jpg
Lewis River_0120.jpg
...And my favorite shot of the day:
Lewis River_0116.jpg
I returned (reluctantly) to the city - feeling much restored.
"The world begins where the road ends." ~Eddie Vedder
http://www.hriggsphotography.com/

kepPNW

Re: A Perfect Day on the Lewis River (1-25-15)

Post by kepPNW » January 27th, 2015, 6:53 am

Just stunning! I have yet to get there, and simply must. (Really long drive, right?) Appreciate the kick! :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

miah66

Post by miah66 » January 27th, 2015, 8:00 am

kepPNW wrote:Just stunning! I have yet to get there, and simply must. (Really long drive, right?) Appreciate the kick! :)
Next rainy saturday, perhaps?

Nice TR!
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

AAdamsPDX

Post by AAdamsPDX » January 27th, 2015, 8:56 am

kepPNW wrote:Just stunning! I have yet to get there, and simply must. (Really long drive, right?) Appreciate the kick! :)
The drive was about 1.5 hours from north Portland/almost Vancouver, though for some reason the stretch along Swift and Yale always seems longer than an hour! I like going the Wind River Road-Curley Creek Cutoff route (though I think it's longer) because I love the views of St. Helens. I wasn't sure if it would be open all the way, though, so I took the lower elevation route.
miah66 wrote:Next rainy saturday, perhaps?

Nice TR!
Thank you!

And I love old growth hikes in the rain. (In any weather, actually!) All that moss turns crazy shades of green.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » January 27th, 2015, 10:43 am

AAdamsPDX wrote:
The drive was about 1.5 hours from north Portland/almost Vancouver, though for some reason the stretch along Swift and Yale always seems longer than an hour! I like going the Wind River Road-Curley Creek Cutoff route (though I think it's longer) because I love the views of St. Helens. I wasn't sure if it would be open all the way, though, so I took the lower elevation route.
Wow, that's encouraging! For some reason I was thinking it was more like 2.5 hours. This news and your beautiful shots are pushing this very high on my list. :)
miah66 wrote:Next rainy saturday, perhaps?
It's a good thought! Sometime this spring. (Thinking longer days will allow more miles to offset the long-ish drive.) I know someone else who's very interested in going, as well. :)
Karl

AAdamsPDX

Post by AAdamsPDX » January 27th, 2015, 7:42 pm

kepPNW wrote:Wow, that's encouraging! For some reason I was thinking it was more like 2.5 hours. This news and your beautiful shots are pushing this very high on my list. :)
It IS a longer drive up FR 90 to get to the Lewis River Falls (lower, middle, and upper) - also, the drive further along 90 was a bit slow last time I was up that far (I think it was 2013) because the road had washed out in places and the temporary fixes were pretty rough. To be clear, this hike was from the trailhead that is very close to where FR 25 splits off to go north towards Windy Ridge. You probably knew that, but the whole Lewis River area used to confuse me completely so I thought I'd be sure!

Also, there was a "road closed to motorized traffic" sign posted on FR 90 just past the turnoff for 9309 heading down to the trailhead. It said something about winter closure to protect elk and deer herds. Probably something most people already know but it was news to me because I've never really headed up this way in the winter!

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » January 27th, 2015, 7:51 pm

AAdamsPDX wrote:You probably knew that, but the whole Lewis River area used to confuse me completely so I thought I'd be sure!
No, this is very good info to have! I'm sure it'll all be far clearer after getting up there, but it's a totally new area for me to explore so all clues appreciated. Thanks...
Karl

Gray Jay

Post by Gray Jay » January 27th, 2015, 10:48 pm

The Old Smokeys, a group of retired Forest Service employees, restored the Bolt Camp Shelter and may have done the trail improvements, too.

AAdamsPDX

Post by AAdamsPDX » January 28th, 2015, 7:01 am

Gray Jay wrote:The Old Smokeys, a group of retired Forest Service employees, restored the Bolt Camp Shelter and may have done the trail improvements, too.
Love it! They did a really beautiful job.

tednottodd

Post by tednottodd » January 28th, 2015, 8:58 pm

We usually go up through Stevenson, Carson. I'm not sure how long it takes, because I really rarely care once I've decided to go someplace I just go. I've driven to east of Missoula to fish for one day though, so I guess I'm crazy.

As far as campgrounds go, the Lower Falls campground on the Lewis River can't be beat.

I think the folks at Mt Hood National Forest could learn a lot from the Gifford Pinchot people.