Lost Lake 1/26

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
pdxgene

Lost Lake 1/26

Post by pdxgene » January 26th, 2015, 4:29 pm

Another beautiful January day in the Oregon Cascades :D Though it sure didn't look like that for a long long time. There was a super thick layer of fog throughout the Hood River Valley and I didn't break free of it until maybe the last mile or so to the lake. So somewhere near 3,000'. I kept thinking, 'it's gotta break, it's gotta break' and was sure relieved when it finally did.
Arriving at the viewpoint at about 930 this morning...

A lot more ice than I was hoping to see having carried my kayak down there with me..

Off on my lap around the lake on the loop trail..

The warm sun hitting the ice was creating a layer of fog over the lake.

And creating great rays in the forest along the trail..

The low angle of the winter sun..

Wildlife alert! That's an otter (really, trust me..). This was the time I needed a zoom lens...sigh..

He actually found some solid ice to run across and I could hear his nails scraping the ice as he scurried along. Unfortunately in the wrong direction to get a better picture. He checked out the view first..

The official opening of the 2015 Cascades kayaking season..

Though I promise to get some sun on these before this scene pops up again. Hopefully the white doesn't blind anyone.. :P

Mt Hood reflection on ice..

And water..

As the afternoon clouds moved in and I decided to beat the rush hour traffic and head on back..

It's always fun to run into someone, ask them if they've been there in winter before and find out it's their first time ever. And tell them there can be 5-10' of snow or more here in most winters. For example, here's the booth today. The pole leaning against it is 5' tall..

As compared to say, late spring-- May 5 '08 to be exact--

Not much of a difference... :lol:
Album from another quiet and great Juneuary day here..
http://picasaweb.google.com/pdxgene/LostLake29

Sean Thomas

Re: Lost Lake 1/26

Post by Sean Thomas » January 26th, 2015, 9:02 pm

Great way to spend a Monday! :D

Those comparison pics are nuts tho!! I wonder what it will look like on May 5th of this year?

Guy

Post by Guy » January 26th, 2015, 9:56 pm

Great photos Gene, love the first one in particular!
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

miah66

Post by miah66 » January 26th, 2015, 10:05 pm

How did you get up there?!
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » January 26th, 2015, 10:32 pm

Guy wrote:Great photos Gene, love the first one in particular!
Thanx! :)
miah66 wrote:How did you get up there?!
If you look behind the gate in the last picture from today of the entry booth that's my little blue Honda back there.
So it's a pretty easy drive to the gate. There's a couple inches of compacted snow/ice off and on the last couple miles, mainly in the big sweeping turns. The road just doesn't get the sun. But a bit more rain should wash it away. There's a set of tire tracks to follow though the snow/icy spots, but only one set, so you just don't want to meet someone in those stretches. And there's a couple trees down covering the right hand lane as you head in. They're easy to see and go around.
The road stays wet. If it's near or below freezing when you go, expect spots to be icy.

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » January 26th, 2015, 10:36 pm

Sean Thomas wrote:Great way to spend a Monday! :D

Those comparison pics are nuts tho!! I wonder what it will look like on May 5th of this year?
I have some amazing snow pics from there when they used to be nice enough to plow to the forest service boundary..
May 15th , 2009 here..

Peder

Post by Peder » January 27th, 2015, 8:28 am

pdxgene wrote:The official opening of the 2015 Cascades kayaking season..
I am still convinced that you do the best hikes! I am sure you omitted the nutritional shots to avoid excessive jealousy!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » January 27th, 2015, 8:38 am

"I am still convinced that you do the best hikes!"

Where's that pesky "like" button?

How about +1?

Nice having a job where you work on weekends

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » January 27th, 2015, 11:44 am

retired jerry wrote:"I am still convinced that you do the best hikes!"

Where's that pesky "like" button?

How about +1?

Nice having a job where you work on weekends
I'm just doing my share to maintain a certain balance in the universe. With all the hard working people out there raising families and doing other important things there's a need for those who don't. It's a heavy burden that I'll just have to try and carry.. :P

JustinPoe

Post by JustinPoe » January 27th, 2015, 7:22 pm

How much ice was on the lake and how thick was it? Do you think it will be all gone by this weekend?

Temps for Lost Lake appear to be above freezing all week, but there are some many variables involved, so it's kinda hard to tell what it will do. I'm actually hoping there will still be some ice on the lake come Saturday. I'm hoping to take a few ice/reflection shots at sunrise.