Cape Horn Trail

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Ron Goodwin

Cape Horn Trail

Post by Ron Goodwin » January 26th, 2015, 10:50 am

Katie and I did the Cape Horn trail clockwise (usually the other way) on the 22nd with a strong East Wind which was not very strong on top. The trail is in great shape and clockwise seemed easier. Met 10 people on the trail including two young ladies who were wearing ballerina shoes with no socks. The each had a sequoia cone tattooed on their right foot. They said they hike barefoot in the summer. I want good boots on that rocky lower section.
The lower section does close this Sunday for the peregrine falcon that nests there. Two years ago the peregrine laid 4 eggs and fledged all four as they were being observed by scope from Crown Point.

bobcat

Re: Cape Horn Trail

Post by bobcat » January 29th, 2015, 9:54 am

Thanks for the report on the falcons: good to know the closure produces results.

Of course, there are whole communities of people in other parts of the world who travel barefoot in terrain that makes the Cape Horn Trail look like an amble on a downtown sidewalk. I suppose the bare footers are simply getting back to their Paleo roots . . .

cfm

Post by cfm » January 29th, 2015, 7:32 pm

...two young ladies who were wearing ballerina shoes with no socks. The each had a sequoia cone tattooed on their right foot. They said they hike barefoot in the summer.
I'd like to try that sometime (with loose ballerina shoes that have a big toe box).

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » January 29th, 2015, 7:41 pm

I have on occasion seen barefoot hikers. Of course in the gorge where I am most often but also in much more isolated spots: I encountered a trail clearing crew in far north Idaho in 2013 in the north of Boundary County and saw one young woman working with a shovel and no shoes. Think about it, though: We humans only learned how to fashion foot ware a few thousand years ago. Our bodies respond to wear and tear by thickening our skin on the exposed parts. Nature will provide.

dn

ps, and no, I'm not going to go without foot ware! I'm such a wuss!
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » January 29th, 2015, 7:46 pm

Like Bobcat, I'm glad the closure for the peregrine falcon produces good results! 4 out of 4 sounds excellent!