Horsethief Butte - 1-15-15

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
arieshiker

Horsethief Butte - 1-15-15

Post by arieshiker » January 15th, 2015, 6:46 pm

Been meaning to explore this neighborhood area for over five years and since today was all sleety and rainy and drizzly, it seemed the perfect time. I can't begin to count the number of times I've driven past this place and barely glanced in to see a mostly empty parking lot. I'm sure it's packed in good climbing weather, which would explain today's empty lot as I parked. A ranger came in behind me, but he was out checking all the Columbia Hills sites. As you start out you come to a fork in the trail, left dead ends in maybe fifty yards to a rock fall area that could be taken up a notch on the butte, or probably used for a climbing base. Right at the fork is the primary trail around the iconic butte. This trail goes around the vertical walls. following them fairly closely for not quite a mile and dead ends at another notch where way down and ahead you can see another trail probably at river level, or at least rail level. I suspect there's a way down there if one searches and wander long enough, but the access isn't direct and isn't mentioned on any site I've found so far. The trail might be on private or tribal lands? There's some fencing along the ledges as one wanders around, but it's mostly broken down, so whether or not it's marking boundaries, I've not a clue. I wasn't going to head down there anyway - too wet, too slippery and as the wind picked up, the temperature didn't. I had a weird senior moment when I first started out - it started sleeting, really tiny flakes, and as they bounced off my rain jacket it sounded a bit like the sound coming from a fresh bowl of Snap, Crackle and Pop cereal, which I probably haven't eaten in more than sixty years, and didn't like it anyway - but the sound was, well, interesting. It's really pretty up there, even on a crummy day. Definitely a place I'll do again when the weather's better and allows for more time exploring the climbing areas.
Attachments
HorsethiefButte-Jan2015 (1).JPG
HorsethiefButte-Jan2015 (3).JPG
HorsethiefButte-Jan2015 (7).JPG
HorsethiefButte-Jan2015 (8).JPG
HorsethiefButte-Jan2015 (11).JPG
HorsethiefButte-Jan2015 (16).JPG
HorsethiefButte-Trail'sEnd-Jan2015 (18).JPG
HorsethiefButte-Jan2015 (21).JPG
HorsethiefButte-Jan2015 (24).JPG
HorsethiefButte-Jan2015 (30).JPG
HorsethiefButte-Jan2015 (39).JPG

airoff

Re: Horsethief Butte - 1-15-15

Post by airoff » January 16th, 2015, 9:14 pm

I've only been there once, but it's a super unique and fun place to explore. And the views are great. If you're a parent, I would imagine kids would love climbing all around on the rocks. The only drawback is that climbers use it for practice so it can get crowded. Nice report!

arieshiker

Post by arieshiker » January 17th, 2015, 6:20 am

airoff wrote:I've only been there once, but it's a super unique and fun place to explore. And the views are great. If you're a parent, I would imagine kids would love climbing all around on the rocks. The only drawback is that climbers use it for practice so it can get crowded. Nice report!
Thanks airoff - - have to agree. For parents, however, I'd suggest keeping a very close eye on them and for the really small kids, don't let them wander beyond your reach around those ledges. As you can see, there's nothing but danger lurking. And of course around the rock climbing area, remember the snakes.

airoff

Post by airoff » January 17th, 2015, 9:31 pm

arieshiker wrote:
airoff wrote:I've only been there once, but it's a super unique and fun place to explore. And the views are great. If you're a parent, I would imagine kids would love climbing all around on the rocks. The only drawback is that climbers use it for practice so it can get crowded. Nice report!
Thanks airoff - - have to agree. For parents, however, I'd suggest keeping a very close eye on them and for the really small kids, don't let them wander beyond your reach around those ledges. As you can see, there's nothing but danger lurking. And of course around the rock climbing area, remember the snakes.
And as you can tell, I'm not a parent. :D

Excellent points!

Bozo Texino

Post by Bozo Texino » January 25th, 2015, 2:43 pm

I've been out there a few times, and once (briefly) saw a rattler on the south-facing side of the butte--which is about as prime a habitat for The Gorge's cold-blooded denizens as you could find.

You can get down to the river via a bit of scrambling and a relatively well-worn trail--if memory serves me, one heads east near the NE corner of the butte, and then switches back southwest down a long scree-lined gully to the tracks and the river. I think there's a steeper way down, directly from the southside of the loop trail, though it looked pretty sketchy and I chose to go the long way. I too have no clue if it's legit or one is bending some rules... There is hardly a soul around once you leave the main trail, so I can't see that you'd be offending anyone. And there's a nice little island that's a short swim from the rip-rap along the tracks/shore. The hike back up is less fun...

Obviously, the railroad right-of-way is private property, though I've seen railfans shooting pictures down there. The trains, much like the landscape, the wind, and the water, tend to be large, powerful, and surprising, so beware if you're adventuring down that way.
"Careful, man, there's a beverage here!" --Jeffrey The Dude Lebowski