Soda Peaks Lake via Trapper Creek - Jan 11, 2015

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
johnspeth

Soda Peaks Lake via Trapper Creek - Jan 11, 2015

Post by johnspeth » January 13th, 2015, 5:33 am

So little snow and lousy skiing brings me to explore parts not usually easily accessible this time of year. I took a stab at reaching Soda Peaks Lake via the longer access from the Trapper Creek TH. The two mile approach along Trapper Creek belies the steep ridge climb to the lake. Elk tracks were all over the trail. I startled a buck hanging out near the trail (really he startled me when he bolted). There was a few inches of old snow, near the top only. Otherwise the trail was clear except for a major blowdown of two trees that took me two tries to find the trail. I was impressed by the large timber along this trail. There must have been a huge storm recently because I found several totally splintered trunks that smelled freshly cut.

Weather was foggy and slightly drippy but not really rainy. I was treated to a wet snowfall after arriving at the lake. The lake was filled with solid ice with a thin layer of water for a nice reflective surface. A rarity for me was the absolute solitude. I encountered nobody. My car was the only one in the TH lot when I arrived and when I left.
IMG_4310.JPG
Splintered blowdown
IMG_4318.JPG
Not sure who made this
IMG_4333.JPG
Ice covered Soda Peaks Lake
IMG_4337.JPG
Ice covered Soda Peaks Lake
IMG_4353.JPG
That's the second biggest one of these I've ever seen

sprengers4jc

Re: Soda Peaks Lake via Trapper Creek - Jan 11, 2015

Post by sprengers4jc » January 13th, 2015, 7:04 am

Nice TR! This is definitely an area not usually accessible this time of year without a ton of snow hiking to reach it. Nice to see the lake so icy, and devoid of people :).
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

drm

Post by drm » January 13th, 2015, 9:50 am

That top section of the trail just before the lake can often be quite icy for off-season trips. Did you need (or want) traction?

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » January 13th, 2015, 10:48 am

Thanks for posting. Maybe I'll have to try a Observation Peak loop this weekend if a dumping of snow does not happen.
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

johnspeth

Post by johnspeth » January 13th, 2015, 3:53 pm

drm wrote:That top section of the trail just before the lake can often be quite icy for off-season trips. Did you need (or want) traction?
There was no snow or ice on the trail until the last 100 yards. That snow was old, shallow, and soft. No need for any non-boot traction.

-Q-

Post by -Q- » January 13th, 2015, 6:11 pm

Was a Sno-Park permit required to park??

I know this is an official Sno-Park, but sometimes WA doesn't require it if there is no snow on the ground at the TH.

romann

Post by romann » January 13th, 2015, 10:14 pm

Nice to see familiar place so late (early?) in the season. I only visited Soda Peaks Lake via upper trail in August, needless to say it looked a little different :? .

Even in the summer it was pretty quiet up there, with major hikers' magnet (aka Indian Heaven) only a few hills away...

johnspeth

Post by johnspeth » January 14th, 2015, 6:07 am

-Q- wrote:Was a Sno-Park permit required to park??
There was one Sno-Park permit sign that I saw. Certainly enforcement would be a waste of tax dollars under these conditions. ;)

Related, I'm an OR resident with an OR Sno-Park permit. I think WA and OR stopped reciprocal acceptance a few years ago. I still pretend though when I ski in WA. ;)

drm

Post by drm » January 14th, 2015, 8:02 am

Right. I think that technically it is required, but I doubt they are out writing tickets. You could call and ask to confirm.

-Q-

Post by -Q- » January 14th, 2015, 5:42 pm

johnspeth wrote:
-Q- wrote:Was a Sno-Park permit required to park??
There was one Sno-Park permit sign that I saw. Certainly enforcement would be a waste of tax dollars under these conditions. ;)

Related, I'm an OR resident with an OR Sno-Park permit. I think WA and OR stopped reciprocal acceptance a few years ago. I still pretend though when I ski in WA. ;)
Reciprocity definitely ended with WA. I think it was 2 years ago. Thats the last time I bought a permit. Oregon resident here too.

Reciprocity is still good with CA and ID I believe