Snow Camping Fun on Mt. Adams, Jan. 6-8

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
cunningkeith

Snow Camping Fun on Mt. Adams, Jan. 6-8

Post by cunningkeith » January 9th, 2015, 11:22 am

I took advantage of the “balmy” weather to do some snow camping on Mt. Adams this week.

There was so much sunshine on this trip that I worried about whether I had brought enough sunscreen—a good problem to have in January.

Both nights were spent around Horseshoe Meadow, near the intersection of the PCT.

Shockingly, not another soul was out there the entire trip! ;)

I drove on FS 23 until I hit snow/ice, about 8 miles or so from Trout Lake. I figured the snow would get more serious around 3,000 ft., and sure enough, when I turned off FS 23 to FS 70, the road became tougher to navigate and I parked about a mile up the road.

I hiked all the way up FS 70 until it dead-ended near the wilderness boundary (note: I did not actually start at the Stagman Ridge TH). Hiking NE I arrived near Horseshoe Meadow close to nightfall. As usual, the hike was harder than I planned, with deep, heavy snow making every step an effort (like tying sandbags around both legs).

The hike in this area is mostly through remnants of the 2012 Cascade Creek Fire. I don’t really like hiking through burn areas, but it does make navigation easier in the snow. Horseshoe Meadow (my first time there) is quite lovely, with a big view of Mt. Adams. The area is about 50% burned.

The next day, I day hiked north to Crystal Lake (also my first time).

Intersection of PCT at Horseshoe Meadow

This is a lovely trek along the PCT (or at least what my GPS said was the PCT). The burn area slowly dissipates as you head north.

You get nice views of St. Helens and Rainier in the distance on your way to Crystal Lake.

Crystal Lake is very scenic in the winter, and because it’s off-trail, you avoid the crowds :D . Any evidence of the Cascade Creek Fire ends right around here.

Some observations:
• It is crazy-quiet snow camping. No animals, bugs, flowing water, nothing but the occasional airplane.
• If anybody knows how to keep your boots dry on a trip like this, please let me know. Even with great, waterproof leather boots and gaiters, everything was soaked-through by the first day.
• Snow camping is cold.

miah66

Re: Snow Camping Fun on Mt. Adams, Jan. 6-8

Post by miah66 » January 9th, 2015, 11:25 am

Keith! I live for this kind of trip! Fantastic!
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » January 9th, 2015, 12:31 pm

nice!

did you have an extra mattress? Like a close cell foam + air mattress? The snow is like a heat sink.

cunningkeith

Post by cunningkeith » January 9th, 2015, 2:18 pm

Thanks for the kind words on the trip. It was a fun one!
retired jerry wrote:nice!

did you have an extra mattress? Like a close cell foam + air mattress? The snow is like a heat sink.
Yes, that's my exact setup. The foam mattress is key because not only can you use it as a base beneath your normal mattress at night, but it doubles as a place to sit while resting on the "trail" (i.e. snow), and it triples as a base for your snow-melting operation (preventing your canister stove from sinking in the snow). I actually cut my foam mattress is half to allow for different configurations.

rainrunner

Post by rainrunner » January 9th, 2015, 7:23 pm

We love snow camping and haven't had problems with wet boots ~~ only frozen ones one time on our son. It took 16 entire minutes just to wrangle one boot onto his foot. Thanks for sharing your trip with us.
The mountains are calling and I must go.
John Muir

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » January 9th, 2015, 8:50 pm

remember to really stretch your boots after you take them off, so when they freeze, you can still put them on :lol:

johnspeth

Post by johnspeth » January 10th, 2015, 9:39 am

cunningkeith wrote: • If anybody knows how to keep your boots dry on a trip like this, please let me know. Even with great, waterproof leather boots and gaiters, everything was soaked-through by the first day.
The classic wet boot problem. It seems unavoidable to me. I've found that water can come from two places. One is outside water from a warm day and another is melting snow due to heat from your foot. I've found that good sturdy wool socks can alleviate the heat transfer problem. The downside is your poor feet can over heat. I carry extra wool socks on multiple day trips so that they can dry while you're "wettening" another pair.

drm

Post by drm » January 10th, 2015, 11:24 am

Fortunate to be able to do this trip while you can drive a fair way up the mountain. Once there is more snow on the roads, you would have another 10 miles to hike through the snow.

For wet boots, you have to figure out whether the water is coming from outside or inside (sweat). If you have waterproof boots then it presumably is inside. The solution is not hard but nonetheless impossible for many: slow down. Don't sweat. I've read many stories of travels in much more frigid climates up north. They simply must pace themselves so that they do not sweat when it is 30 below outside.

texasbb

Post by texasbb » January 10th, 2015, 12:36 pm

Thanks for that report, CK. That's the kind of thing that makes me want to take up winter backpacking. The beauty of the snow, the quiet, the solitude, the unique views, all of it makes me want to gear up and give it a try. My primary hesitation is what to do with the loooong nights. I normally like to keep moving all day, stopping just in time to eat and then sleep, so I'm not sure what I'd do with 16 hours of dark. But your report edges me closer to giving it a go.

cunningkeith

Post by cunningkeith » January 11th, 2015, 8:39 am

Thanks for the suggestions on the wet boots. I've never been able to crack that one. I did, however, solve the frozen boot problem by putting them in a bag in my sleeping bag. Now in the morning they're just wet, not frozen. Much more pleasant.
drm wrote:Fortunate to be able to do this trip while you can drive a fair way up the mountain. Once there is more snow on the roads, you would have another 10 miles to hike through the snow.
That's interesting. I had done an elevation profile on FS23 and noticed that it really starts to climb about where I left it at 3,000 feet. Does it typically hold snow for extended periods at 2,000 feet? That would surprise me.

texasbb wrote:My primary hesitation is what to do with the loooong nights. I normally like to keep moving all day, stopping just in time to eat and then sleep, so I'm not sure what I'd do with 16 hours of dark. But your report edges me closer to giving it a go.
Well the calendar is on your side with longer days. Even this time of year, though, you can add a little more light to the published sunrise/sunset time. Even after total darkness, I stayed outside my tent until 7ish and came out around 7. So it was more like 12 hours in the tent. I know, still a lot of time. I think April and May are the best times to go snow camping--warm weather, longer days, etc. You might give it a try then.