Cooper Spur...Almost

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Zia

Cooper Spur...Almost

Post by Zia » December 21st, 2014, 5:15 pm

I had rare day off in the middle of the week last Thursday and we decided to head out and see how the northeast side of Mt. Hood was doing and do the Cooper Spur hike for the first time. Our son is home and we dragged him along with us as well as my brother in law. We got a later start than what we had hoped to and did not get to the trail head until 9:30 am. The road to the TH wasn't bad and there was already a few cars in the lot.

We geared up and started off. There was snow from the get go from trace to about 2 inches. We headed up the easier route up Pollalie Ridge Trail. I've never been there so I do not know how much stuff was already down on the trail but there was definitely a ton of newer stuff down on the ridge and trail.

This slowed us down quite a bit but we kept on and finally made it to Tilly Jane A Frame and decided it was a great spot to eat lunch. The snow here was still just a few inches deep and easy to maneuver around.

We took off after lunch and the clouds started coming in a bit thicker and snow showers started up. The snow started to get deeper the further up the trail we went. Once we broke through the treeline the snow changed quite a bit. There were areas where the snow was 4 feet or so drifts and, some areas that were hard and iced over, and some that were about a foot deep. Snow shoes would have probably been helpful starting around this area.

Image Image

We trudged very slowly up mountain and made it to the timberline trail crossroads at about 2:30 pm. We knew we were super close to our destination but the winds were coming in and the clouds had gotten even thicker. Our visibility was worsening and we couldn't see the shelter we knew wasn't too far off. Daylight was running low and sadly other than my light source, we were not prepared for night hiking, so we made the choice to call it quits for the day and come back another time.

Even though we didn't' get to our destination we had a fabulous day on the mountain. Some snowballs were thrown, snowman made, and left the trail with a smile.

Image Image

rainrunner

Re: Cooper Spur...Almost

Post by rainrunner » December 22nd, 2014, 4:46 pm

Oh, and you were so, so close to the shelter... Glad you go to that side of the mountain.
The mountains are calling and I must go.
John Muir

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » December 22nd, 2014, 9:09 pm

Great TR and pics, Z. Nice that you got to spend a day on the mountain with the family and great job getting as far as you all did, snow showers included :)

The snowmen are great too, is that a cone for a nose?

Zia

Post by Zia » December 22nd, 2014, 9:33 pm

rainrunner wrote:Oh, and you were so, so close to the shelter... Glad you go to that side of the mountain.
Yes so close heh but we will go back and get ourselves there. :)

Zia

Post by Zia » December 22nd, 2014, 9:35 pm

Sean Thomas wrote:Great TR and pics, Z. Nice that you got to spend a day on the mountain with the family and great job getting as far as you all did, snow showers included :)

The snowmen are great too, is that a cone for a nose?
LOL yup it was a cone for the nose. We utilized what was handy :lol:

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » December 24th, 2014, 7:41 am

You've convinced me, I think! I need to do this hike in the winter. All that blowdown is a bit of a surprise, though. Sure don't remember it being that bad this summer. That could be a real hassle with snowshoes. But right now, anything without rain and mud would be very welcome! :)

Looks like a great trip, especially since your son was home and was able/wanted to go along! :D
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Zia

Post by Zia » December 24th, 2014, 11:55 am

kepPNW wrote:You've convinced me, I think! I need to do this hike in the winter. All that blowdown is a bit of a surprise, though. Sure don't remember it being that bad this summer. That could be a real hassle with snowshoes. But right now, anything without rain and mud would be very welcome! :)

Looks like a great trip, especially since your son was home and was able/wanted to go along! :D
I'm glad I convinced you (or maybe convinced you :D )

No showshoes would be needed at the ridgeline yet, well unless they got a ton of snow this past week :mrgreen:

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » December 24th, 2014, 12:03 pm

Zia wrote:
kepPNW wrote:You've convinced me, I think! I need to do this hike in the winter. All that blowdown is a bit of a surprise, though. Sure don't remember it being that bad this summer. That could be a real hassle with snowshoes. But right now, anything without rain and mud would be very welcome! :)

I'm glad I convinced you (or maybe convinced you :D )

No showshoes would be needed at the ridgeline yet, well unless they got a ton of snow this past week :mrgreen:
Heh, that was a bit non-committal, wasn't it? :lol: I heard the melting wasn't as much as predicted, but the snow levels are dropping again fast in next few days. Would probably be ideal to carry them over that blowdown, and not need them until up higher, alright! :)
Karl

Zia

Post by Zia » December 24th, 2014, 12:13 pm

kepPNW wrote:Heh, that was a bit non-committal, wasn't it? :lol: I heard the melting wasn't as much as predicted, but the snow levels are dropping again fast in next few days. Would probably be ideal to carry them over that blowdown, and not need them until up higher, alright! :)
Non-committal? Naw not at all :lol: But seriously you know you want to...

The only other person we saw that day was coming down the ridgeline, carrying his snowshoes.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » December 24th, 2014, 12:32 pm

Zia wrote:
kepPNW wrote:Heh, that was a bit non-committal, wasn't it? :lol: I heard the melting wasn't as much as predicted, but the snow levels are dropping again fast in next few days. Would probably be ideal to carry them over that blowdown, and not need them until up higher, alright! :)
Non-committal? Naw not at all :lol: But seriously you know you want to...
I think so, yep! ;) :lol:
Zia wrote:The only other person we saw that day was coming down the ridgeline, carrying his snowshoes.
Sounded like they would've helped up above timberline. Post-holing gets old really fast!
Karl