Petroglyph and Tent Rocks National Monuments, December 2014

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
AAdamsPDX

Petroglyph and Tent Rocks National Monuments, December 2014

Post by AAdamsPDX » December 18th, 2014, 2:23 pm

Albuquerque-12-14_0131.jpg
While all of you were enjoying windstorms ( :shock: ), as well as Meet 'n Deet and some great hiking from the looks of it, we were visiting family in New Mexico. We mostly go to spend time with a young niece and nephew (oh, and my brother and his wife!), but we managed to squeeze in some short but interesting treks this time. If you find yourself in the Albuquerque area with only a little time, these are some great outings with both natural and human history in spades.

Our first trip was a 2.5-mile trail up Rinconada Canyon in the Petroglyph National Monument on the western side of Albuquerque, where we enjoyed sun and quite a lot of wind, along with nice views of the snow-glazed Sandia Mountains to the east. We then dropped by the visitor's center, where the ranger on duty recommended the Piedras Marcadas Canyon trail. While Rinconada Canyon felt more isolated and more like a "real" hike, we found that the shorter Piedras Marcadas trail provided better (closer) viewing of the petroglyphs themselves, even though it was sandwiched between housing subdivisions.
Albuquerque-12-14_0300.jpg
Albuquerque-12-14_0290.jpg
Albuquerque-12-14_0268.jpg
We even came across several resident jack rabbits, a species I haven't encountered since I was a child visiting family in Wyoming. They seemed fairly unconcerned by us.
Albuquerque-12-14_0274.jpg
Later we visited Tent Rocks National Monument - which turned out to be unlike anything we've experienced before. The trail starts out in a fairly open area, with few hints of what is to come.
Albuquerque-12-14_0165.jpg
However, before long the trail enters a narrow canyon...
Albuquerque-12-14_0147.jpg
...which keeps getting narrower.
Albuquerque-12-14_0014.jpg
A note in case you have small ones: this hike was great for my three-year-old nephew and would be great for any kids up until it climbs steeply out of the valley. My nephew was having so much fun that he couldn't stop beaming and chattering away to himself. I dubbed him the Happy Little Hiker.

We only had to crawl under one rock:
Albuquerque-12-14_0025.jpg
The views just kept getting more interesting, and more like the photos we've seen of more famous slot canyons in Arizona.
Albuquerque-12-14_0141.jpg
Albuquerque-12-14_0125.jpg
Albuquerque-12-14_0149.jpg
Before too long (maybe a mile?), the trail climbs a bit steeply out of the canyon, providing more eye-level views of some of the rock formations.
Albuquerque-12-14_0115.jpg
After a brief 1.5 miles, the trail tops out with views south towards the Sandia Mountains above Albuquerque, north and east towards the Sangre de Cristo Mountains above Santa Fe, and north and west towards the Jemez Mountains.
Albuquerque-12-14_0081.jpg
Hope everyone enjoys the desert views, for something a little different!
Albuquerque-12-14_0071.jpg
"The world begins where the road ends." ~Eddie Vedder
http://www.hriggsphotography.com/

bobcat

Re: Petroglyph and Tent Rocks National Monuments, December 2

Post by bobcat » December 20th, 2014, 3:58 pm

Nice to read the report and see your photos as we begin to drown in the monsoon. I had never heard of Tent Rocks - Is it a relatively new National Monument?

AAdamsPDX

Post by AAdamsPDX » December 21st, 2014, 12:08 am

bobcat wrote:Nice to read the report and see your photos as we begin to drown in the monsoon. I had never heard of Tent Rocks - Is it a relatively new National Monument?
I know, it feels like we'll float away soon!

Both these monuments are relatively new - Tent Rocks was apparently created in 2001. I had never heard of either of them until we started visiting family who moved to the area a few years ago.

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » December 28th, 2014, 9:03 am

That is amazing. I have a someday wish trip to visit the desert there in the spring. Great to know about those spots. That picture of the pine in the slot canyon is beautiful.
Woodswalker

AAdamsPDX

Post by AAdamsPDX » December 29th, 2014, 9:45 am

woodswalker wrote:That is amazing. I have a someday wish trip to visit the desert there in the spring. Great to know about those spots. That picture of the pine in the slot canyon is beautiful.
Woodswalker
Glad you enjoyed! I have a feeling the desert would be even more beautiful in the spring - would be lovely to see those cactus in bloom!