Observation Peak/Trapper Creek Loop: 12-14-14

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Sean Thomas

Observation Peak/Trapper Creek Loop: 12-14-14

Post by Sean Thomas » December 17th, 2014, 10:27 pm

Jo and I had a great time in the Trapper Creek Wilderness last Sunday as we hiked the Observation/Trapper loop with a side trip to OB Peak. The sunrise was pretty incredible as we headed east toward the gorge:

Zoom looked kind of like a painting:

But First! :D A bunch of pictures from the meet and deet on Saturday. It was great seeing so many familiar faces and meeting some new ones too. Just a room full of legends! :) Thanks to all who did the hard work putting things together!

And big thanks to roadtripmom for making the awesome artwork we won in the raffle!

Moving on to the hike and we left off for the loop from the Trapper Creek TH near the old horse camp. There was quite a bit of blowdown on the Observation Trail as well as the Trapper Creek Trail:

I was crushed by the sight of the all the recent damage:

After moving a few more we continued up the Observation Trail and admired the elders:

And the oddities:

We saw a guy driving a tree(solar/CO2 powered) looking for directions back to 84! :o :D

Some more cleanup:

Closing in on the peak we stopped a few more times to admire the forest floor. Running Clubmoss:

The spur trail to the top of the 4,207 ft peak looked like it might not afford the awesome views witnessed on a clear day. But the lightly docked trees were pretty to have some lunch under:

Our first bid to the summit was locked in a world of clouds but Jo didn't seem to mind :)

It was pretty amazing up there as the clouds moved on and off the summit, revealing some incredible views all the way over to Mt Adams before stealing them away again in just a few seconds ;)

Pano before being covered in the clouds :)

Finally the fierce wind and the desire to finish off the loop pushed us back into the forest:

Reminders of a great legend(Basil Clark) live on in these parts through countless signs throughout the wilderness. He also put up signs on the Oregon side of the gorge but I think he may have loved Trapper Creek the most:

Not a drop of snow throughout the whole loop as of December 14th. The upper crossing of Trapper Creek was running pretty strongly though:

We ended up hiking the last couple of miles back to the car in the dark but it was worth it to get to spend a while admiring the falls before heading back :)

kepPNW

Re: Observation Peak/Trapper Creek Loop: 12-14-14

Post by kepPNW » December 18th, 2014, 6:07 am

It really was good seeing you guys at M&D, too!
Sean Thomas wrote:After moving a few more we continued up the Observation Trail and admired the elders:

That's hilarious! I gotta remember this perspective pose. I have other shots of that tree, but none that paint quite that picture! :lol:
Sean Thomas wrote:Reminders of a great legend(Basil Clark) live on in these parts through countless signs throughout the wilderness. He also put up signs on the Oregon side of the gorge but I think he may have loved Trapper Creek the most:
I remember thinking the same thing up there, in particular over in the area of the Sunshine Trail. Really took a liking to that Wilderness this last spring. Looks like you guys had a great day up there! :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

-Q-

Re: Observation Peak/Trapper Creek Loop: 12-14-14

Post by -Q- » December 18th, 2014, 1:04 pm

Great TR :D
Love the Trapper Creek Wilderness. Such a fun place to explore.