Ramona Falls / Sandy Guard Station cabin 12/16

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
kepPNW

Re: Ramona Falls / Sandy Guard Station cabin 12/16

Post by kepPNW » December 17th, 2014, 1:32 pm

miah66 wrote:showing me where that cabin actually is.
N45.37850° W121.78322°
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » December 17th, 2014, 1:34 pm

kepPNW wrote:
N45.37850° W121.78322°
That would be the much shorter, more concise description... :lol: :lol:

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » December 17th, 2014, 1:49 pm

pdxgene wrote:
kepPNW wrote:
N45.37850° W121.78322°
That would be the much shorter, more concise description... :lol: :lol:
:lol: I swear, I hadn't seen your post before doing that, either! :lol:
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

miah66

Post by miah66 » December 17th, 2014, 5:46 pm

Thanks guys!
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » December 17th, 2014, 5:58 pm

miah66 wrote:I have one or two tarps i'd be willing to donate in exchange for a ride out there and someone showing me where that cabin actually is. No weekend plans yet.
You're on. I can go this weekend and pick you up wherever you want.
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » December 17th, 2014, 6:03 pm

pdxgene wrote:You'd need a guide and someone to carry the resupply doughnuts. That must mean I'm in.. :P

Someone went thru a lot of trouble to carry that ladder out there. They had to get it across the Sandy (not easy unless they actually laid it down and used it as a sort of bridge) and carry it quite a ways. It's not exactly light and convenient to carry. I almost have a hunch I stumbled into their unfinished plan. Because nothing really appeared to have changed from last time except the addition of the ladder. It was a bit strange that it was just laying on the ground 10-20 yds away. I can't imagine someone going through all that trouble just to get it there for no specific reason. It'd have been a pretty tough task for a single person too. I know I couldn't do it.
I guess in theory it could've been taken in on horseback. To a small degree that almost makes more sense than carrying it.
Donuts, yum! One of the basic food groups.

The ladder makes this task all the easier. I was discussing a re-tarp with someone a few years ago but I don't remember who. Anyway, the sooner , the better.

Don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Rustygoat

Post by Rustygoat » December 17th, 2014, 7:10 pm

Sadly...I think the cabin is lost. :( I was up there on Sunday with Melinda and didn't check out the old guard station. After reading Gene's report I thought it would be neat with the ladder there to tarp up the old building. Melinda and I headed up there today after work, me packing up the giant tarp and Melinda carting up the smaller one. I climbed inside to see what structural damage has been done. The forest service shored up a couple of beams last time the roof was covered. Those main beams are really bad. Lots of rot, mold and the roof is pulling away from the chimney. My foot crashed through the floor while I was just standing there and Melinda was taking pictures. :o There are many holes in the roof along with iffy spots, I decided against climbing on the roof and trying to tarp it. The roof is caving in...tarp or no tarp. :( I'm not trying to be a party pooper.... I just don't want to see anyone getting hurt crashing through the roof. The best way to cover it is to bring a gigantic tarp and blanket the entire building. I'm pretty beat from packing up and back my tarp, hammer, nails and wood that I carried to nail it down. :shock: Borrowing a pack horse might make the trip easier. :P
Tim

Chasing waterfalls can be addictive.
NW Off-trail Waterfalls -Facebook Group

Rustygoat

Post by Rustygoat » December 17th, 2014, 7:11 pm

Nice report and pictures Gene! :D
Tim

Chasing waterfalls can be addictive.
NW Off-trail Waterfalls -Facebook Group

merelunacy

Post by merelunacy » December 17th, 2014, 9:05 pm

Cool trip report Gene. Got inspired and wanted to see about saving the place unfortunately it seems the cabin is too far gone. A sad video I took on the inside... :cry: there is black mold on the walls as well (my bloody nose confirmed it).

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » December 17th, 2014, 9:48 pm

That's a bummer. We talked about going inside but I didn't trust the roof to be in there. It looks like the fireplace (and most of the stonework) will last longer than the wood. We did find the little spigot outside that used to turn the water on and off.
I still can't help but think whomever brought that ladder out there had some kind of plan. Unless they saw the same thing you did and gave up.

I guess I didn't hide the ladder all that well :lol: