Ramona Falls / Sandy Guard Station cabin 12/16

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
pdxgene

Ramona Falls / Sandy Guard Station cabin 12/16

Post by pdxgene » December 16th, 2014, 4:06 pm

Another day of empty trails today and it was actually pretty nice weather for mid-December. The rain stopped almost as we pulled into the empty Ramona Falls lot about 930 this morning. Jumping out of order a bit for the opening shot...

Almost the entire trail looked like this.. Trackless snow just covering the trail. We followed bobcat prints for about half a mile. They intersected some rabbit prints where it looked like there was a little scuffle in the snow. No visible bones or blood though.. :lol:

Ramona Creek is always pretty in the snow with lots of little photo ops..

The canyon walls always look brighter when they're wet which generally only happens with snow or ice melting from above. I've been there during and after downpours and rain just doesn't do it.

Hole-In-The-Log Falls is still running really nice..

Still a few icicles along Ramona Creek (though none really at the falls)..

Sandy Guard Station Cabin roof damage up close..

And no, I didn't get taller.. but the ladder is now there. Time to fix the roof? :twisted:

Damn, no bears hiding inside..

And the damage on the back side of the roof..

The fog rising over the Sandy as the sunlight hits the wet trees..

A quick snack break at the cabin and back to Ramona Falls..

There was no wind at the falls so it was easy to get close. Or on the trail either. I'm just noticing it gusting pretty good outside at home. Glad it didn't do that today on the trail.. :)
One more up close..

And one more nice little batch of icicles..

The afternoon sun thru the trees...

And even a peek at part of Mt Hood from down by the Sandy at the loop trail junction..

Finishing up the pictures with Eric crossing the Sandy..

It was actually easier crossing going in with some snow on the log. Coming out you're angled slightly downhill and it was kinda slick.. Crossing is relatively easy but no matter where you do it you really have to keep focused for a few seconds.
Album from a great day is here... http://picasaweb.google.com/pdxgene/RamonaFalls58

CraigG

Re: Ramona Falls / Sandy Guard Station cabin 12/16

Post by CraigG » December 16th, 2014, 5:26 pm

Great photos! Thanks for the report!

greenjello85

Post by greenjello85 » December 16th, 2014, 5:37 pm

I'm always amazed by the quality of your photos! Thanks for the report Gene.
-Dan

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » December 16th, 2014, 6:17 pm

Hey, thanx guys.. it was a battle against lens condensation today.
They need to make RainX for camera lenses... :idea:

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » December 16th, 2014, 6:43 pm

That roof really needs some folks who can camp out, know how to make shingles and know how to roof!

Would you say that if it's not done rather soon then the structure will be toast?

At the very least someone with some time and energy and a wife pass (not me) should re tarp it :D

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » December 16th, 2014, 6:59 pm

Eric Peterson wrote:That roof really needs some folks who can camp out, know how to make shingles and know how to roof!

Would you say that if it's not done rather soon then the structure will be toast?

At the very least someone with some time and energy and a wife pass (not me) should re tarp it :D
I'm in for a re-tarp. I will be happy to supply the tarps if there are some of you who can carry them. (back problems - darn!)

Let's not let this wonderful relic disintegrate more.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » December 16th, 2014, 7:35 pm

You'd need a guide and someone to carry the resupply doughnuts. That must mean I'm in.. :P

Someone went thru a lot of trouble to carry that ladder out there. They had to get it across the Sandy (not easy unless they actually laid it down and used it as a sort of bridge) and carry it quite a ways. It's not exactly light and convenient to carry. I almost have a hunch I stumbled into their unfinished plan. Because nothing really appeared to have changed from last time except the addition of the ladder. It was a bit strange that it was just laying on the ground 10-20 yds away. I can't imagine someone going through all that trouble just to get it there for no specific reason. It'd have been a pretty tough task for a single person too. I know I couldn't do it.
I guess in theory it could've been taken in on horseback. To a small degree that almost makes more sense than carrying it.

miah66

Post by miah66 » December 17th, 2014, 12:39 pm

I have one or two tarps i'd be willing to donate in exchange for a ride out there and someone showing me where that cabin actually is. No weekend plans yet.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

hikerbot

Post by hikerbot » December 17th, 2014, 1:01 pm

Keep me posted. I'd be willing to help if scheduling doesn't conflict with stuff already on the calendar.

Can haul up to 50 lbs, just as long as it fits in by 70L pack.

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » December 17th, 2014, 1:31 pm

miah66 wrote:where that cabin actually is.
The shortest route..
From the first loop trail junction shortly after you cross the Sandy on the way to Ramona Falls continue straight along the PCT (towards Timberline Lodge). When you get to the second loop trail junction that leads left to the falls a half mile or so away still continue straight on the PCT down the hill that's right in front of you. When you get to the flat area at the bottom of the hill, approx. 200 steps, look to your left. There'll be a couple little user paths up a hill. The cabin rests right up that hill. Once you've found it, if you want to continue on to the falls you can just double back (turning right at that falls junction) .
Or you can follow the narrow little footpath that travels up the hill behind the cabin and cut off half the distance. That'll dump you right back onto the trail going to Ramona Falls (you'll go right on the trail).
I think I've got the lefts and rights in the right order there...

Coming from the canyon route to the falls you'd go on past the falls and then you'd turn left at that junction instead of heading back towards the trailhead. Or just use the shortcut down the hill once you know where it is.
That dump out spot onto the trail for that little hillside path would be too hard to just try and describe without a gps mark but it's easy and obvious to spot once you know it.
Last edited by pdxgene on December 17th, 2014, 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.