The Many Ways to the Tanner Butte TH: 12/14/14

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Born2BBrad

Re: The Many Ways to the Tanner Butte TH: 12/14/14

Post by Born2BBrad » December 17th, 2014, 8:00 am

It’s good people find the information useful, or at least relevant. It seems most people prefer option #1. When there is a camp host there at the EC TH, that is my preferred route.
CraigG wrote:Thank you for the TR! You answered one of my (many) questions on where a certain unmarked trail went! Your canine companions are awesome!
I’m glad I was able to answer one of your questions.
Bosterson wrote: When did they put that bench in at the Tanner TH? I don't remember that being there, though I don't think I've been up there since spring.
Copying my reply to Sean on his “A couple of days on the Tanner Creek Trail” TR:
The bench attached to the sign at the old Tanner Butte TH was put in on April 26th of this year. I was walking up road 777 and caught up to an older gentleman walking with a big board over his shoulder. He said he was going to install a bench at the old TH. I knew an older guy had done trail work on the Tanner Butte Trail at the stream crossing and up by the power line road. I asked if that was him and he said it was. I thanked him for his effort. He was relaxing on the bench when I got back to the old TH, so I joined him for a few minutes.
Eric Peterson wrote: Named the stair case route Portage Road short cut as, IIRC, DN mentioned to us that the old portage road ran around ToothRock around that general area.
It shall be forever known as Portage Road, at least in the PH world.
miah66 wrote:I always wonder what is on the other side of the bridge over Eagle Creek. Where does the lower trail along the creek go?
The trail splits three ways on the west side of the bridge. Airoff describes the left path. My guess is that the path to the far right (not the path on the right that goes up, which is trail 400) just follows EC north to the other bridge.

There is a mystery path that leads down to the left off trail 400 not to far after the footbridge. That is noted in the TR. Maybe I’ll follow that someday.
Don Nelsen wrote: Excellent documentation of what is probably the most confusing assortment of TH's for a major gorge trail. Well done!
Thanks. If I get bored, maybe I’ll do something similar for “all the ways to Table Mountain” because I believe that is even more confusing.
pablo wrote: Useful information thx for taking the time to put this together - I wonder if it can be worked into the field guide for the Tanner Butte TH as the trails and roads in there can be confusing. There is some discussion of these routes in the trail guide but a map would be useful. Maybe a link to this trip report.
That’s a good idea. One of the field guide admins would need to do that.
pablo wrote:I like throwing in Wauna Viewpoint and following the powerline road to the.
That was one of the roundabout ways I was thinking of. Also, a person could go up to Nesmith Point, come down and cross Tanner Creek, then follow the Tanner Creek Trail to road 777.
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

obera

Post by obera » December 18th, 2014, 10:51 am

This is GREAT! Thanks for putting it together!! :)
oh-beer-ah

MarkInTheDark

Post by MarkInTheDark » December 20th, 2014, 4:56 pm

Thank you! Have been wondering about that since my Eagle Creek/Tanner loop trip.... especially towards the end of that hike!

DannyH

Post by DannyH » December 22nd, 2014, 8:15 am

Just two weeks ago I was going through the field guide trying to figure out the best place to park in order to access the 777 road. Thanks for putting this together, I'm book marking this trip report!
"It isn't the mountain ahead that wears you out; it's the grain of sand in your shoe."