The Many Ways to the Tanner Butte TH: 12/14/14

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Born2BBrad

The Many Ways to the Tanner Butte TH: 12/14/14

Post by Born2BBrad » December 15th, 2014, 8:25 pm

What: The many ways to get to the Tanner Butte trailhead
When: 12/14/14
Who: Me (Born2BBrad), Buddy the dog and Timmy the dog

Opening picture:

It’s been a while since I’ve posted a trip report. It’s not like I haven’t been out on the trails. Either those trips were not TR worthy or I didn’t feel like writing one.

I thought of a way to write one that is a little different. It’s about the many different ways to get to the Tanner Butte TH on road 777. Not only did I want to document them, but track each of them to identify the shortest route. What else am I gonna do, go on a 25 mile death march?

Six different ways are documented here. If you wanted to get technical, there are other roundabout, backwards ways that could get you there.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Option 1: Eagle Creek TH/Stairs/Cutoff/Rd 777/Trl 400 Jct

Tracks for option 1:

Park at the Eagle Creek Recreation Area:

Go north along Eagle Creek and cross the bridge (I-84 off-ramp):

Stay left, then go up the stairs:

Just after the stairs, turn left (uphill) at the stop sign for the cut-off trail:

When you get to the junction with the trail that comes from the Toothrock TH, turn left (uphill):

Go left (uphill) where the cut-off trail comes out at the hairpin turn on road 777:

Continue on road 777 left (uphill) at the junction with Trail 400:

Right after that you’ll be under the power lines:

Continue another 0.97 mile to the Tanner Butte TH.

Pass the first of the two cleared out mudslides:

Pass the power line spur road that is also the Wauna Direct Trail (note: it’s a butt-kicker):

Pretty soon you’ll be at the Tanner Butte TH:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Option 2: Eagle Creek TH/Trl 400/Rd 777/Trl 400 Jct

Tracks for option 2:

As with option 1, park at the Eagle Creek Recreation Area. This time go south following Eagle Creek on the road.

You won’t see an empty parking lot here in the summer:

Cross the footbridge that goes over Eagle Creek:

View of Eagle Creek from the footbridge:

After crossing the footbridge, take the trail that goes uphill to the right, not the trail on the right that follows the creek:

Continue straight (uphill) at this unnamed trail junction:

Stay straight at the junction with the Wauna Viewpoint trail:

Some old growth trees along trail 400:

View of Bonneville Dam and the Columbia River:

Go left (uphill) where the cut-off trail comes out at the hairpin turn on road 777: Image

Follow the directions from option 1 to continue to the Tanner Butte TH.

Option 3: Toothrock TH/Rd 777/Trl 400 Jct

Tracks for option 3:

Park at the Toothrock TH:

Go west on the pavement to gated road 777:

Stay on road 777 the entire way, passing under power lines twice:

Soon you will be at the hairpin turn where road 777 meets the cut-off trail and trail 400:

Follow the directions from the previous options to continue to the Tanner Butte TH

Option 4: Toothrock TH/Rd 777/Cutoff to Trl 400/Trl 400/Rd 777 Jct

Tracks for option 4:

Park at the Toothrock TH:

Go west on the pavement to gated road 777:

Just after the hairpin turn after the gate, turn right on an unnamed cut-off trail:

Turn left (uphill) where the cut-off trail meets trail 400:

After a couple of switchbacks, pass a sign for trail 400 that baffles me why it is there. The trail is obvious, so why is it there?

Cross a seasonal creek just before going under the power lines:

In the open area under the power lines:

Just after going under the power lines the trail meets a road, then splits. Both roads go up to road 777. The left option is actually trail 400, but the right option is shorter:

Once at road 777, turn right (uphill) and follow the direction for previous option to get to the Tanner Butte TH.

Option 5: Toothrock TH/Substation/Eagle Creek Cutoff/Rd 777/Trl 400 Jct

Tracks for option 5:

Park at the Toothrock TH as the previous two options.

Head east on the gated gravel road:

The gravel road meets a paved bike path that passes Acton Substation:

Why is it called Acton Substation? Here’s the answer:

Take the unnamed cut-off trail on the right (uphill):

Soon the cut-off trail meets the cut-off trail that comes from the Eagle Creek TH:

From here, follow the directions as described in option 1.

Option 6: Trl 400 TH (by Wahclella Falls TH)/Trl 400/Rd 777 Jct

Tracks for option 6:

This option begins on trail 400 near the Wahclella Falls TH. You can park at Wahclella Falls TH. I have seen people park at the end of the Bonneville Dam I-84 off-ramp too.

People use to park right where the trail sign is, but there are now “No Parking” signs there:

Now people park on the side of the road just past the signs, half-way blocking the road.

Here is the trail sign that can be seen from the road:

Near the start is some kind of old hydo pipe flume thingy. That might not be what it is officially called:

Stay right (uphill) when you meet the cut-off trail from road 777 (option 4):

Once at this location, follow the directions as described for option 4 to get to the Tanner Butte TH.

Tracks for all options combined:

Spreadsheet showing distances:

I believe the mileage to be correct. I cleaned up the tracks and compared the results in GPS Fly and NatGeo Topo. I’ve always thought the mileage in GPS Fly was more accurate that my GPS trip computer.

My favorite route option is #4 because it gets you on the trail sooner than most of the other options. My least favorite option is #3 because it is on the road the entire way.

So there you have it! Not exciting, but different.

Hike away!!

Brad
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

CraigG

Re: The Many Ways to the Tanner Butte TH: 12/14/14

Post by CraigG » December 15th, 2014, 8:42 pm

Thank you for the TR! You answered one of my (many) questions on where a certain unmarked trail went! Your canine companions are awesome!

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » December 15th, 2014, 9:49 pm

Nice compilation, B2! Hopefully anyone who is looking to head up Tanner for the first time finds your report in their search, it would be a big help.

My favorite is the staircase method via EC :)

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » December 15th, 2014, 11:28 pm

Very thorough! I've always been curious which is the shortest. I used to start at Wahclella, and these days start at Eagle Creek and take the stairs.

When did they put that bench in at the Tanner TH? I don't remember that being there, though I don't think I've been up there since spring.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » December 16th, 2014, 7:22 am

When coming from the EC TH, I prefer your number 1 - the DN stair case method!

Named the stair case route Portage Road short cut as, IIRC, DN mentioned to us that the old portage road ran around ToothRock around that general area.

If my above 2 paragraphs sound rather rambling and incoherent then they probably are :D

miah66

Post by miah66 » December 16th, 2014, 9:13 am

:lol: You actually did it! Nice work, Brad, Timmy & Buddy.

I always wonder what is on the other side of the bridge over Eagle Creek. Where does the lower trail along the creek go?
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » December 16th, 2014, 9:17 am

Brad,

Excellent documentation of what is probably the most confusing assortment of TH's for a major gorge trail. Well done!

Don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

airoff

Post by airoff » December 16th, 2014, 7:56 pm

Nice work! Did you hike to the trailhead each time just to be certain? ;-)
miah66 wrote:I always wonder what is on the other side of the bridge over Eagle Creek. Where does the lower trail along the creek go?
It doesn't really go anywhere. Just in a tiny little loop. I seem to recall a little picnic area being in there, maybe?

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/crgnsa/r ... ecid=30068

miah66

Post by miah66 » December 16th, 2014, 9:11 pm

airoff wrote:
It doesn't really go anywhere. Just in a tiny little loop. I seem to recall a little picnic area being in there, maybe?

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/crgnsa/r ... ecid=30068
"This trail offers the most accessible examples of old-growth in the Columbia Gorge"

Interesting. Who knew?
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

pablo

Post by pablo » December 16th, 2014, 10:45 pm

Brad,

Useful information thx for taking the time to put this together - I wonder if it can be worked into the field guide for the Tanner Butte TH as the trails and roads in there can be confusing. There is some discussion of these routes in the trail guide but a map would be useful. Maybe a link to this trip report.

I think I've done them all except for option 5, the shortest - I will try that though my preference is to park at EC as I feel more comfy about my vehicle vs Tooth Rock.

I like throwing in Wauna Viewpoint and following the powerline road to the 777 - once I bushwhacked up the direct route off the 400 from Wahclella - not a time saver.

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.