Beached seal , Netarts Spit-Cape Lookout SP 5/3

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
pdxgene

Beached seal , Netarts Spit-Cape Lookout SP 5/3

Post by pdxgene » May 3rd, 2009, 6:48 pm

There was just the slightest break in the clouds on the webcams at the beach this morning so I figured it was worth a shot and was rewarded with a day of nothing but full out sunshine. The Netarts Spit hike is basically a walk up the beach side of the spit that covers 5 miles from the parking lot at the Cape Lookout State Park day use site. Enter beach, head north. Even I can figure that one out. And way off in the distance was today's goal..
FL010001.jpg
The sun sparkled in the bubbles of sea foam..
FL010003.jpg
And combined with the wind in the shallows..
FL000036.jpg
Not enjoying the day quite as much was this molting elephant seal..
FL000001.jpg
I had seen a ranger coming back from checking on him about 15 minutes earlier so I knew he would be there. She said he had been there a couple days and just to give him space. But that it was ok to take a few pictures.
FL000007.jpg
More on him on the homeward leg.. There were bright colored crab shells sctattered across the beach. A little white barnacle was attached to this one.
FL000008.jpg
And literally thousands of broken sand dollar shells before...
FL000013.jpg
After about 5 miles and 2 hours the sand comes to an end as the ocean meets the bay. Looking across to what I'd imagine is Netarts..
FL000017.jpg
Netarts Bay and the Pacific Ocean..
FL000018.jpg
Coming back the clouds hover over Cape Lookout...
FL000030.jpg
I was coming back at low tide and at least a good 30 yards farther from shore than the outward leg. And the seal must have figured it was time to go also as in the couple hours since I had last seen him he had moved below the high tide line and was awaiting the incoming tide.
FL000032.jpg
I had timed it just about right. Soon he'd be on his way..
FL000035.jpg
In a couple hours these and the rest will be in higher res at
http://picasaweb.google.com/pdxgne/NetartsSpit
What a great day. After the first mile there wasn't another soul on the beach until about a mile out coming back. If you want a long beach hike to yourself, it certainly did not appear much traffic heads out there. There were no other prints than mine today.. Yay!

Peder

Re: Beached seal , Netarts Spit-Cape Lookout SP 5/3

Post by Peder » December 30th, 2012, 4:48 pm

Hi Gene! I saw your report when looking for a hike for tomorrow; you do not get many hits when you Google "Netarts Spit." That moulting elephant seal must have been fascinating!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

pdxgene

Re: Beached seal , Netarts Spit-Cape Lookout SP 5/3

Post by pdxgene » December 30th, 2012, 5:03 pm

Peder wrote:Hi Gene! I saw your report when looking for a hike for tomorrow; you do not get many hits when you Google "Netarts Spit." That moulting elephant seal must have been fascinating!
That's funny, I saw the subject and thought, 'what a coincidence that you saw one, I saw one there too..' Then I realized it was the same one :)
A different trip I saw an eagle feeding on a dead seal there too. There should be a trip report for that one somewhere back there. But I've never tried it in the winter. There's usually tons of shells at the far end. More full sand dollars than I remember seeing most any other place.