Bad conditions on Wyeth Trail

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
drm

Bad conditions on Wyeth Trail

Post by drm » December 6th, 2014, 1:06 pm

I planned for a decent workout today on the Wyeth Trail, maybe going all the way to Green Point Mtn, or at least the pass at the junction with the trail going up. But I was stopped by ice. It's all melted down near sea level in the Gorge, but I was not prepared for how much there was from 1000 feet up. Branches were still heavily coated, blocking the trail in many cases. And while the ice on the trail mostly was either sleet or had fallen from branches, the mat of slush had in some cases frozen into a slippery coating. And I had stupidly left my Kahtoolas at home. The temps were slightly above freezing but just barely and it was not melting fast. Since ice storms often are worst in a narrow altitude band, I had hoped to get beyond it and then it would melt by the time I came down. But it just kept getting worse, with more blockages of the trail and more slippery. I need to follow my plan of just leaving the Kahtoolas in the pack for the rest of the winter.

I think we're going to need to work on our trails a lot next spring.

ImageImage

weathercrazy

Re: Bad conditions on Wyeth Trail

Post by weathercrazy » December 6th, 2014, 1:21 pm

There was a similar event last year or a few years back where a narrow band got absolutely nailed. I know it affected the angel's rest trail. In fact there are still branches down visible on the side of the trail on the way up.

How far up did you go before you turned around?

drm

Post by drm » December 6th, 2014, 1:33 pm

It's certainly not as bad - yet - as that horrible storm a few years ago. I got up to the high teens, maybe 1800 feet or so, before turning back. I think I'm heading out to Coyote Wall this afternoon. I sat in front of the computer too many hours last week to stay in this afternoon.

airoff

Post by airoff » December 6th, 2014, 7:33 pm

Even a trip to Devil's Rest requires traction. Annoying! :evil:

romann

Post by romann » December 7th, 2014, 12:04 am

Too bad about the ice. Makes nice pictures though (when/if you get there) ;)

In the middle of the week it was a bit icy on Salmon River trail in spots, but we never felt we needed traction. I guess it's all melted there by now.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » December 7th, 2014, 7:54 am

Interesting! Two ridges over, the ice really wasn't that much of an issue yesterday. We started hitting it about 1500', continued up the PCT towards Benson Plateau until about 3000', and there it was really more snow than ice. And nothing but clouds up higher, so we did divert there. But other than a few branches across the trail, it wasn't an impediment at all.

Just below 2000' on the PCT.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » December 7th, 2014, 6:19 pm

Don't feel bad about the spikes drm. I had spikes in my bag the whole day on Friday and was just too stupid and lazy to take them out :roll: :lol:

miah66

Post by miah66 » December 8th, 2014, 12:48 pm

Yes, very bad on Tanner Butte trail right from the start. We had to turn back on Saturday. I was also thinking I should ALWAYS have my microspikes.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

-Q-

Post by -Q- » December 8th, 2014, 4:10 pm

I just bought my Kahtoola microspikes like 2 weeks ago, so I am psyched to try em out.
Almost knocked myself unconscious last year falling on the ice... into a tree :oops: