Turkey sub - 35 miles in the Tillamook State Forest: 11-21

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Sean Thomas

Turkey sub - 35 miles in the Tillamook State Forest: 11-21

Post by Sean Thomas » November 24th, 2014, 9:29 pm

Have you guys heard of the new Thanksgiving submarine ride from Keenig Creek to Elk Creek!?! I know I've joked in the past but this one really exists, promise! :D :roll: ODFS, the Oregon Department of Forestry and Submarines opens up the route every year around Thanksgiving so flocks of tourists can watch all the little baby saggtortamouses(pronounced sagg tort uh muss) make their way upriver for their annual winter spawn. I lucked out this year and scalped a few tickets at the TH, which was even more jam-packed than usual with a big Thanksgiving Cabelas Jet Ski Sale:

Setting off from Keenig and we were at Wolf Creek in no time:

This Western Redbacked Salamander was spotted by one of the guests, its sort of a half-land half-water sub so its pretty cool:

Once we reached Wilson Falls the rain started getting in the sub:

And the beautiful Wilson River:

The recent saggtortamous migration has been pretty rough on all the holiday greens the volunteers put up:

Rising above the Jones Creek Campground and we were in for our first good look at a young Saggtortamous. Having branched off from the Hipposaggapotami(hippo sagg uh pot uh my?) about 25 years ago, these animals love water:

Unfortunately for the nearly extinct saggtortamous, "the people of walmart" still illegally sell hunting tags for the rare beast. This one was issued by a Mr. Big Foot:

Unlike the balloon ride, there were no spectacular views promised in the brochure:

By the time the submarine reached the Kings Mtn TH technical difficulties due to the rain had ended the tour. "Isn't this a submarine?" howled the guests. The original tour was meant to start at Keenig and travel the whole Wilson River Trail over to Elk Creek. There it would swing up to Elk and Kings Mtn with a Kings Jr cutoff back to the WRT and eventually back to Keenig Creek :shock: Unable to get the motor restarted after puttering out at Kings, the rescue mini sub arrived and we all jammed in to make the trip back to the TH. Angry guests were soon soothed as we were all about to witness a miracle of nature, a saggtortamous mating call in action. They often imitate a domestic turkey, jaws open staring straight up at the rain like an idiot:

The mini rescue sub stopped at Lester Creek Falls again to dry out a bit:

Or not :)

Back to the TH after a heck of a day, 35 miles of hiking and running err submarining in the rain and I was toast:

I really should pick up one of these rescue subs at the next rei used gear sale:

Back at home I realized I had lost my jacket somewhere along the subs route. Determined to get it back Jo and I set out the next morning and hired a couple of nosy detectives to help us get it back:

The detectives turned everything on its side during there search:

Love those old burnt snags too!

One of the guests from yesterdays trip was still enjoying himself:

Pretty much all of the fall color has been knocked off the trees by the saggtortamous migration:

Back at the TH after finding the coat and we just wandered around the area for a bit. The river was gorgeous:

Being so close to Tillamook Jo and I decided to head down to the petting zoo at Blue Heron. This guy was in heavy derp mode for the gift shop pellets:

And I think this guy just derps out in general:

Although seemed to be looking for a kiss:

This hen was quite a character:

And this guy too:

Here you can see Jojo cheaply trying to get the chicken in the picture :lol:

Good chicken :)

The End

Eric Peterson

Re: Turkey sub - 35 miles in the Tillamook State Forest: 11-

Post by Eric Peterson » November 25th, 2014, 6:25 am

Rain sagging at it's finest!

Where do you buy the clear submarine fabric?

CraigG

Post by CraigG » November 25th, 2014, 9:34 am

Awesome aquatic adventures!

Lurch

Post by Lurch » November 25th, 2014, 12:56 pm

Sean Thomas wrote:ODFS, the Oregon Department of Forestry and Submarines opens up the route every year around Thanksgiving so flocks of tourists can watch all the little baby saggtortamouses(pronounced sagg tort uh muss) make their way upriver for their annual winter spawn. I lucked out this year and scalped a few tickets at the TH, which was even more jam-packed than usual with a big Thanksgiving Cabelas Jet Ski Sale:

Seems legit to me! Image

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » November 27th, 2014, 4:21 am

Thanks guys! Just wait for the black Friday underwater hover craft ride from... ok nm :)

They sell the sub fabric at the gift shop where you start the tour. I've heard the people of walmart and maybe even a guy named freddy grubmeyer sells em too :D

Thanks Lurch! I knew that really realistic looking submarine would get the message across!

Rustygoat

Post by Rustygoat » December 2nd, 2014, 4:35 pm

Thanks for the TR Sean...I had a good laugh. It looked as fun as the balloon ride...just wetter! :lol:
Tim

Chasing waterfalls can be addictive.
NW Off-trail Waterfalls -Facebook Group