Tualatin Mtns - Wildwood Trail (one-way) Nov-23-2014

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
CraigG

Tualatin Mtns - Wildwood Trail (one-way) Nov-23-2014

Post by CraigG » November 24th, 2014, 9:24 pm

Greetings All -

A friend (Janice) and I hiked the entire length of the 30.2 mile Wildwood Trail, along the Tualatin Mtns on Sunday. We knew that rain would be the order of the day, but that wasn't going to stop us. We were on a mission.
Since it was a one-way hike, we setup a car shuttle and met at the NW end of the Wildwood Trail adjacent to Newberry Rd at 6am Sunday. It was dark (no photo).
The next phase of the car shuttle involved leaving one car at Newberry Rd and taking the other car to Starbucks on the Sylvan hill at 6:30am. Nothing like starting your 30.2 mile hiking day with a mocha!
We headed to the Portland Zoo where there was ample parking at 6:55 am. Valet service was not available, so we helped ourselves - first!
The hike commenced at 7:10am as morning light appeared to the east.

The hike can best be described by its mile markers:

Miles 0-3: Beautiful morning as sunlight was cast through the clouds. We didn't run into a single soul. Peaceful. The day was full of promise.

Miles 4-6: Still a nice day in partly cloudy skies. No rain. Warmer than I expected. no wind. Spirits were very high going past the Arboretum. A disproportionate number of golden retrievers were observed on the trail. All dogs happy. Lots of tail wagging. Trail runners past us every once in a while.

No one yet at this parking lot either:

Miles 7-9: Begins to cloud up a bit. Quick snack. More folks out. Continued tail wagging (continued from miles 4-6). Trail was in fantastic shape! Thanks to all the volunteers who keep up this trail! :D

Mile 10.5: Janice stops in her tracks and yells "Oh my gosh!". :o Janice immediately informs Craig that her car shuttle keys were left in Craig's car at the Zoo. Craig is surprised :shock: - tries to rationalize a good outcome - suggests options and informs Janice that "at least it wasn't his fault". :D

Mile 10.51: Janice utters the best phrase of the day and I quote, "Just because it wasn't your fault, doesn't mean that you are going to be OK". :evil:

Mile 13: Dark clouds move in from the west very quickly. Air temperature drops a few degrees. It starts to rain.

Mile 13.5: Lightning strike blisters the sky less than 1000 feet from us. :shock: Hike suspended 15 minutes - Janice and Craig retreat to nearest fire lane, 1/10 of a mile behind us. US Forest Service truck parked at the intersection of the Wildwood Trail and the fire lane - no one inside truck. We check to see if vehicle is locked in an effort to get out of potential lightning storm coming our way. Vehicle locked. Craig tries to rationalize situation, suggesting a probable good outcome. :)

Mile 14: After hearing/seeing no more strikes, we continue to walk west on trail. Continues to rain. No more lightning strikes.

Mile 17: Janice and Craig pass a fellow with a small tree saw in hand. This person doesn't say a word to us in passing. Seems strange and (maybe) a little creepy. :? Janice and Craig periodically look over their shoulders for the next 10 miles. :?

Mile 18: Janice confirms by cellphone that somebody will leave her extra set of car keys in her vehicle at Newberry Rd before we arrive. Hooray! Well done Janice! :D

Miles 19-22: Rain tapers off. A clearing is seen to the north through trees.

Miles 23-25: Rain stops. Hooray! :D Craig talks a lot. Janice takes this time to get out a quick snack while hiking.

Mile 26: Janice grows tired of Craig slowing down when he talks. Janice gets "on a mission" (her words) and leads hike. Janice moves faster than Craig. Craig keeps up.

Mile 27.5: Gets dark - headlamps come out. Craig dutifully follows woman "on a mission".

Miles 28-29: Hike continues in dark. Quiet, peaceful, don't slip and fall because legs are getting tired.

Mile 30: Janice points out the street lights that appear in the (short) distance to the west. Craig uses every ounce of willpower to avoid guesstimating the remaining distance. Craig holds back the comment, "it might be about a quarter mile more(tm)". 5 minutes later, Craig realizes the guess would have been correct. However, he was more satisfied he didn't say anything. ;)

Mile 30.2: Finished at 5:45pm! Hooray! Car unlocked, backup keys in car as advertised! We are good! :D Well done Janice!

The Wildwood Trail was in GREAT shape! No ice (too warm) and only a handful of short muddy sections.
We finished in 10:35, which included a 15 minute hike stoppage to find cover in case of a potential lightning storm (see Mile 10.5).

kepPNW

Re: Tualatin Mtns - Wildwood Trail (one-way) Nov-23-2014

Post by kepPNW » November 25th, 2014, 6:50 am

CraigG wrote:Mile 10.51: Janice utters the best phrase of the day and I quote, "Just because it wasn't your fault, doesn't mean that you are going to be OK". :evil:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Words to live by, Mister! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds like a great adventure! One I still need to do. I've always heard that trail gets real muddy, so it's nice to hear that's not "always" the case.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » November 25th, 2014, 8:35 am

Sounds like a great day! I have heard tales of many creepy people in Forest Park, along with stories of packs of wild dogs. Since you (and presumably, Janice) are still whole, looks like this one has to go on the list ;). One question, though: is camping allowed for a single overnight in the park? We cannot do as many miles as you folks do and would have to split it up into a couple of days to make it work. If not, we could just exit halfway through.
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

CraigG

Post by CraigG » November 25th, 2014, 9:08 am

sprengers4jc wrote:Sounds like a great day! I have heard tales of many creepy people in Forest Park, along with stories of packs of wild dogs. Since you (and presumably, Janice) are still whole, looks like this one has to go on the list ;). One question, though: is camping allowed for a single overnight in the park? We cannot do as many miles as you folks do and would have to split it up into a couple of days to make it work. If not, we could just exit halfway through.
Greetings -

Good question - I don't know if camping is allowed in the park. I didn't see any camp sites though. Since Forest Park is a city park, it is governed by Portland Parks & Rec. Oh wait - just found the rules and regs:

http://www.forestparkconservancy.org/forest-park/facts/

CraigG

Post by CraigG » November 25th, 2014, 9:24 am

kepPNW wrote:
CraigG wrote:Mile 10.51: Janice utters the best phrase of the day and I quote, "Just because it wasn't your fault, doesn't mean that you are going to be OK". :evil:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Words to live by, Mister! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds like a great adventure! One I still need to do. I've always heard that trail gets real muddy, so it's nice to hear that's not "always" the case.
Greetings Karl -

Thanks! I think this hike should be done as a small group - makes it fun and folks would root each other on, etc etc.

I can see it is a little dangerous if the temps are near freezing. Any icing on that trail for that distance is kinda risky - would be easy to slip and fall when getting tired.

I really liked the fall leaves/colors - added variety to the trail. It was great smelling that fall scent for so many hours.

By mid-morning, we were stopping every 200-300 ft for a few seconds to let folks by. I can see it may be better to start a little earlier, even in the dark.

Trail is very compacted/hard due to the amount it is traveled. Janice wore running shoes for the hike and was fine. Soft shoes, whether hiking or running shoes, seem highly recommended.

The last 10 miles of the trail is slightly tilted to the right as the trail winds counterclockwise around the NE corners of numerous ridge-lettes. I found my left knee was rather sore at the end due to a slight twisting of the left knee to compensate for the trail tilt. I may consider wearing a brace on the left knee for extra support next time, or putting a lift in my right shoe after mile 20 - it was that noticeable.

I would like to do this again in the spring to see what the trail is like (on a dry day ;) ).

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » November 25th, 2014, 9:41 am

Wow, that trail-tilt is bizarre! That it'd be that way for so long... Huh.

Running shoes would be my first pick, too, for anything of that distance. But for sure this one. Probably a few fresh pair of socks, too. :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » November 25th, 2014, 10:24 am

CraigG wrote:
sprengers4jc wrote:Sounds like a great day! I have heard tales of many creepy people in Forest Park, along with stories of packs of wild dogs. Since you (and presumably, Janice) are still whole, looks like this one has to go on the list ;). One question, though: is camping allowed for a single overnight in the park? We cannot do as many miles as you folks do and would have to split it up into a couple of days to make it work. If not, we could just exit halfway through.
Greetings -

Good question - I don't know if camping is allowed in the park. I didn't see any camp sites though. Since Forest Park is a city park, it is governed by Portland Parks & Rec. Oh wait - just found the rules and regs:

http://www.forestparkconservancy.org/forest-park/facts/
Bummer. Thanks, though. I can understand it, as they don't want to encourage camps to start popping up everywhere. 30 miles as a day hike is a bit extreme for us, but exiting midway and doing it in two days looks doable. Thanks for the map and the idea to do this.
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

wsevert

Post by wsevert » November 26th, 2014, 6:44 am

Nice report, Craig! I hiked the Wildwood all last winter and I found that the trail improved considerably as the temps dropped below freezing and the mud went from ooze you'd sink 6 inches deep in to something you could actually gain traction with. There aren't many places in Forest Park where standing water collects so even during that good freeze last year there was no need for the microspikes (but I had them with me just in case).

I'd like to say if you pick a dryer day I'll join you next time but I guess that doesn't happen now until next August!

Severt

Surridge

Post by Surridge » November 26th, 2014, 10:52 am

Thanks for the TR. What was your water plan? What sources did you filter/treat from? How much water did you carry? Food? Thanks!

CraigG

Post by CraigG » November 26th, 2014, 11:25 am

wsevert wrote:Nice report, Craig! I hiked the Wildwood all last winter and I found that the trail improved considerably as the temps dropped below freezing and the mud went from ooze you'd sink 6 inches deep in to something you could actually gain traction with. There aren't many places in Forest Park where standing water collects so even during that good freeze last year there was no need for the microspikes (but I had them with me just in case).

I'd like to say if you pick a dryer day I'll join you next time but I guess that doesn't happen now until next August!

Severt
Greetings Severt!

Thanks for the reply! I wouldn't have thought that about ice and Forest Park, but maybe I will have to check it out in the winter (and bring the microspikes along). Voices in my head linger from genemc, SamL and company about the Wildwood Loop. I know Sean has done it, and I am working my way to feeling Sean-esque about doing it. :)