Tualatin Mtns - Wildwood Trail (one-way) Nov-23-2014

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
CraigG

Re: Tualatin Mtns - Wildwood Trail (one-way) Nov-23-2014

Post by CraigG » November 26th, 2014, 11:31 am

Surridge wrote:Thanks for the TR. What was your water plan? What sources did you filter/treat from? How much water did you carry? Food? Thanks!
Thanks for the reply.

I brought 2L of regular (not Lo Cal) Gatorade, which worked out nicely in cooler weather. No water filter. There were enough small streams that day to filter from due to the afternoon rain if I had chosen that path. In the spring, I would consider bringing a water filter. Balch Creek was running fine and was filterable.

Other folks have hid food/water along the trail the day before in bear cans.

For food, I had 6 dense energy bars, 2 packets of "Gu" and a small container of peanut butter in a lumbar pack. I didn't use a regular sized hiking pack - too "heavy". I think getting a calorie laden mocha before heading out helped with initial energy/calorie stuffage in the morning.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » November 28th, 2014, 7:25 pm

CraigG wrote:The last 10 miles of the trail is slightly tilted to the right as the trail winds counterclockwise around the NE corners of numerous ridge-lettes. I found my left knee was rather sore at the end due to a slight twisting of the left knee to compensate for the trail tilt. I may consider wearing a brace on the left knee for extra support next time, or putting a lift in my right shoe after mile 20 - it was that noticeable.
Tip: next time, turn around and hike back to Washington Park. It all balances out! :lol: (not that I'm claiming I have)

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » November 28th, 2014, 7:37 pm

or walk backwards for half the distance? :)