Herman Creek dressed in white and a visit from brother bear

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
RobinB

Re: Herman Creek dressed in white and a visit from brother b

Post by RobinB » November 24th, 2014, 1:59 am

Wow! Gorgeous as always. And is it just me, or is that a crazy amount of snow? Do you think it's there for the season? I was up last December, and it was clear to at least Cedar Swamp.

drm

Post by drm » November 24th, 2014, 4:42 pm

RobinB wrote:Wow! Gorgeous as always. And is it just me, or is that a crazy amount of snow? Do you think it's there for the season? I was up last December, and it was clear to at least Cedar Swamp.
I would think most of it is gone already, at least below the swamp, and maybe higher.

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » November 24th, 2014, 6:19 pm

Yeah, im with drm. Its probably mostly gone. I've been able to get up to Tomlike without too much trouble well into January some years.

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » November 24th, 2014, 6:20 pm

retired jerry wrote:
Are you sure it's wise to follow the bear prints? :lol:

:? maybe? :shock: :D

mtnhiker56

Post by mtnhiker56 » November 24th, 2014, 6:48 pm

Are you sure it's wise to follow the bear prints? :lol:

Old wise man once said...its better to chase bear than have bear chase you.... :o

Thomas M

Post by Thomas M » November 25th, 2014, 9:05 am

I was up there last week. The snow was a little more stale at that time. I love the thought that the animal relatives are out there and more than likely making more "hiker sightings" than the reverse.

Not often have I witnessed such as I did on that hike. I was on my way out on the Herman Creek Trail and I came to the last waterfall (first if you're going in). I felt like I should stop and take a look at the falls with my light....it was a little foggy and a slight drizzle was in the air.
Suddenly there was the sound of a rock slide and boulders crashing into the small pool at the base of the falls......Well, my first thought was, "Oh, cool", but then I came to my senses and quickly turned and ran as fast as I could back up the trail....imagining huge rocks tracking behind me !!!!
I didn't really see anything as all of this happened in a split second of the first sounds of rock.
I recalled the huge rocks that have recently crashed the bridge at Multnomah Falls and proceeded to cross the small stream, pausing, but soon thinking that the rocks may not be finished with their dive down the falls!!!! I moved on and looked back....the Rock People were still.

CraigG

Post by CraigG » November 25th, 2014, 9:28 am

Greetings Sean -

I was out last weekend/Monday also, at Horsetail Falls. I needed microspkies on Oneonta Trail due to the ice, but it was wonderful. Thanks for sharing.