Herman Creek dressed in white and a visit from brother bear

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Sean Thomas

Herman Creek dressed in white and a visit from brother bear

Post by Sean Thomas » November 23rd, 2014, 12:30 pm

Jojo and I couldn't resist getting out for a hike in a little fresh powder last weekend. A full day on the Herman Creek Trail up to the top of Tomlike Mountain seemed like a good idea to catch those crisp, clear views from the summit. We were so fascinated with the snow it must have taken some 5 or 6 hours to get to the swamp. After that we just kinda slogged up past the east fork crossing and called it a day. Whiskey Creek was really the star of the show though, where we spent about an hour just admiring the snow and ice:

Back to the TH and the start of the hike, where even the picnic tables were wearing white clothes:

I always wonder what this sign next to Nick Eaton Falls originally said before it was destroyed:

Jojo is in the bottom right of this picture for scale:

Moving on toward Casey Creek and the sun began to reach the forest floor where it could, making for a magical day on the trail:

Occasionally the wind would come sweeping through woods, sending frozen bits of beauty from the boughs of trees:

Slide Creek Falls was no to be overlooked either:

Whiskey Creek was partially frozen near the edges with every mid-stream rock sporting a white hat for the coming winter:

And it was amazing:

Crossing the creek was just cold :)

Just past Whiskey Creek and things got a lot more interesting. A black bear had just walked across the trail past the crossing, heading straight for the east fork:

I was so intrigued I followed the tracks for a few hundred yards off the trail until reaching a point just above the creek. I couldn't spot the bear but it was interesting to note its track pattern and habits when traversing through the woods. Every time it encountered a downed log that was generally pointing in the bears direction of travel, it would walk the length of said log every time it had the option to do so:

Anything impeding its direct progress and it would just go over:

Now on full alert for a bear sighting :D we kept on through more sunbathed and snow covered trail:

This was the first time I chose to go under the giant cedar log past the swamp. Here is Jo teasing me before I flopped to the ground and waddled my way under:

The east fork was a bit chilly to cross but beautiful nonetheless :)

About a mile past the crossing and we encountered another set of the bears tracks, once again traversing a log:

Not much past the tracks pictured above and we decided to turn around. We weren't that far away at that point but things were slow going and neither of us felt like slogging it out in the dark. Bummed that we didn't get the epic views that Tomlike was sure to offer we dropped back down toward the east fork. Just as we neared the creek luck would turn in our favor and we would get to witness something even more spectacular than the views we had been trying to reach all day. The Bear! It walked across the trail again just below us, seemingly unaware that we were even around. Once it reached the trail, it took a quick sniff of our tracks from earlier that day and then seemed to pick up its pace a little bit. The wind was blowing right at us so maybe it didn't smell us and it never seemed to look in our direction. But it was just an incredible thing to watch as it traversed across the snow covered landscape like it was nothing at all. After what feels like a lifetimes worth of good experiences on this trail we finally got to see a bear on Herman Creek! "My day was made, Christmas came early and life is good" I though as we descended down the trail. We made one last little stop at a huge Doug Fir below the swamp before shuffling back to the TH after another outstanding adventure in the Columbia River Gorge ;)

Can you spot Santa?

retired jerry

Re: Herman Creek dressed in white and a visit from brother b

Post by retired jerry » November 23rd, 2014, 12:45 pm

Too bad none of the pictures are visible. I wonder if it's just me

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » November 23rd, 2014, 2:20 pm

So awesome! What a great day for you two :D.
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » November 23rd, 2014, 5:24 pm

"This was the first time I chose to go under the giant cedar log past the swamp"

How do you normally get past that log? I always go under it. I've considered making a hiking trip there just to make more clearance under the log. Maybe mcds will saw that log someday :lol:
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » November 23rd, 2014, 5:44 pm

Nice! I really like the snow hats on the rocks in the creek.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

weathercrazy

Post by weathercrazy » November 23rd, 2014, 7:33 pm

Firm believer in fate!

Everything happens for a reason! One missed view is an opportunity for another!

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » November 23rd, 2014, 8:35 pm

retired jerry wrote:Too bad none of the pictures are visible. I wonder if it's just me
I think your tri focals are steamed up, Jerry! :lol: :lol:

Nice pictures, Sean! Especially of the bear tracks! How very cool! And I thought bears hibernated during the winter. Maybe he woke up for a quick snack. ;)

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » November 23rd, 2014, 9:03 pm

Thanks everybody :)

Brad - There are a couple of stumps and fallen logs near the cedar that can be used to climb up onto it. Its pretty wide and flat on top, that thing must have been upright for a long time!

Thanks DN! All the creeks were like that but Whiskey Creek was probably the prettiest. It really gave everything a pristine and picturesque feel.

Thanks WC :) That's a good way to look at it, a few seconds difference in the days events and we probably wouldn't have crossed paths.

Thanks FK - I read the other day that female black bears usually enter their dens a little earlier than the males, going in mid to late November(right about now I guess) with the males hitting the den in early-mid December. But that probably depends on the year and or location/conditions etc too. That means there's still a chance to see a big male roaming the woods before winter :)

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » November 23rd, 2014, 9:14 pm

Ahhh, now I can see them, nice!

It just doesn't seem like there should be that much snow around yet :)

Are you sure it's wise to follow the bear prints? :lol:

Get Out Backpacking

Post by Get Out Backpacking » November 23rd, 2014, 10:25 pm

Wow, the best critter I ever saw in that area was a trapdoor vole by Mud Lake's inlet, thanks for sharing!