Trinity Alps- Stuart Fork - Alpine, Morris & Smith Lakes

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
arundodonax

Trinity Alps- Stuart Fork - Alpine, Morris & Smith Lakes

Post by arundodonax » November 19th, 2014, 7:26 am

10/11-13/14

25.5 miles, 8750' gained, 2 nights

An excellent weekend trip to these very nice lakes. We had some time trying to find the off trail route through the manzanita and oak trying to get up to Morris and Smith lakes, but once the path was found it was much easier going—quite a few nicks and scrapes!

No one else seen once we left the Stuart Fork trail. A very nice trip, with nice weather. Highly recommended as an alternative to some of the busier lakes in the area. Bring your band-aids!

drm

Re: Trinity Alps- Stuart Fork - Alpine, Morris & Smith Lakes

Post by drm » November 19th, 2014, 7:36 am

Bring your band-aids!
Or wear heavier clothes as protection, which should not be so bad in the Fall. I've got some abrasion-resistant pants that are designed for climbers that do well in heavy, pointy brush. I suppose a pointed manaznita branch will stab through anything under some conditions.

I think that northern Calif is forecast for a decent snowfall later this week. So these areas may be closing for the season. I'm assuming you got up fairly high with those EG stats. Maybe some lower areas will still be accessible once these storms pass.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » November 19th, 2014, 7:42 am

There are so many places to hike there. I could spend a lifetime before I got everywhere there.

Surridge

Post by Surridge » November 19th, 2014, 9:45 am

what an awesome looking area. What were the temps like this time of year? Planning on moving to Ashland next summer, can not wait to explore the trinity Alps

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » November 19th, 2014, 9:48 am

arundodonax wrote: Image
This is very nice, Chris!

Granite.... :mrgreen:
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » November 19th, 2014, 11:07 am

Great TR! Love the granite. Curse you (but in a nice way ;) ) for forcing me to add yet another hike to my bucket list!

drm

Post by drm » November 19th, 2014, 3:10 pm

Alright everybody, granite shmanite! Where is the moss? (on the south side of the trees) Where are the huge cedars? How about a volcano or two? Oh right - Shasta. What about freezing rain on the road to the trailhead? Any of that in the Trinities? :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol:

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » November 19th, 2014, 5:56 pm

when I was there November 1 it barely got below freezing

weather report NOAA

you can scroll around and get weather for any spot. It was within a few degrees for my trip Nov 1

RobinB

Post by RobinB » November 19th, 2014, 10:14 pm

Wow! Like Jerry said: there's so much there. We went in June, and now I want to go back and do what you did. Thanks for the trip report :)
drm wrote:Alright everybody, granite shmanite! Where is the moss? (on the south side of the trees) Where are the huge cedars? How about a volcano or two? Oh right - Shasta. What about freezing rain on the road to the trailhead? Any of that in the Trinities? :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol:
:D

arundodonax

Post by arundodonax » November 20th, 2014, 7:25 am

drm wrote:
Bring your band-aids!
Or wear heavier clothes as protection, which should not be so bad in the Fall. I've got some abrasion-resistant pants that are designed for climbers that do well in heavy, pointy brush. I suppose a pointed manaznita branch will stab through anything under some conditions.

I think that northern Calif is forecast for a decent snowfall later this week. So these areas may be closing for the season. I'm assuming you got up fairly high with those EG stats. Maybe some lower areas will still be accessible once these storms pass.
We read that there was a clearly marked path—and there was—but we had a hard time finding it so we went straight through where it was really thick. If you know where you're going it's not a problem.

I'm hoping that snow levels stay about 6000' this weekend—I'm crossing my fingers.
Surridge wrote:what an awesome looking area. What were the temps like this time of year? Planning on moving to Ashland next summer, can not wait to explore the trinity Alps
This was about a month ago—temps were highs in the 70s lows in the 40s. The trinities run pretty hot, so the fall and spring are great times to go—the summer can get too hot, however (it's not fun to climb 4000' when it's 95 out).