Multnomah Falls to Larch Mt. & Back - 2014/11/16

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Guy

Multnomah Falls to Larch Mt. & Back - 2014/11/16

Post by Guy » November 17th, 2014, 5:19 pm

Opening pic

Like lots of other folks here we were out playing in the new snow this past weekend. Chizuru, Chiyoko & I decided on a Multnomah to Larch & back leg stretcher. Arrived at the falls at 8:30 & the wind was howling, we could barely stand up in the I84 parking lot, it was a little better over by the Lodge. Lots of folks were already at the lower viewing platform.

The gate to the Benson Bridge was closed but there was no trail closed sign so we deftly stepped around it in our micro spikes & set off up the trail.

The trail to the top of the falls was solid ice the whole way, in some places there was no wind in other placed it was hard to stand up! Once we stepped over the ridge though to the other side there was an instant change, no wind at all & the ice was replaced by about 4" of powdery snow.

We began the slow slog up to Larch.

We didn't break any speed records as we hiked up, it took us about 4:20 to reach the final steps to the the top.

We had followed tracks all the way from Multnomah but these stopped on the actual Summit of Larch & did not continue on to Sherrard Point. It seemed that after hiking all that way some folks may have missed the main event because the snow on Sherrard point had not been disturbed since it fell.

We had the summit to ourselves for about 10 minutes then a couple of other groups arrived one from multnomah like us & another group who came up the road.

The wind wasn't bad on top but we decided to retreat to the warmer & more sheltered sunny parking lot for our hot lunch!

We set off from the summit at 2:00 for the trip back making much better time than we did going up!

We were back at the top of the falls in less than 2 hours & crunched our way back down the icy trail. Lots of folks were braving the ice to get to the Benson Bridge & lots of them were falling over but everyone seemed to be having a good time! We were back just in time to get a hot drink from the snack bar before it closed.

The hike came in at 14.8 miles with about 4300' of EG.
A good winter leg stretcher!
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

weathercrazy

Re: Multnomah Falls to Larch Mt. & Back - 2014/11/16

Post by weathercrazy » November 17th, 2014, 7:24 pm

Beautiful! I did Larch on January 1st this year. It was sunny and mild, no wind.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » November 17th, 2014, 10:05 pm

Excellent report, Guy - thanks!
We had followed tracks all the way from Multnomah but these stopped on the actual Summit of Larch & did not continue on to Sherrard Point. It seemed that after hiking all that way some folks may have missed the main event because the snow on Sherrard point had not been disturbed since it fell.
Odd... maybe a newbie who didn't know about the Sherrard Point trail (or couldn't find it in the snow)?

Tom :)

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » November 18th, 2014, 6:13 am

Wow, what a difference a few days makes! It was frigid cold up there last Tuesday, but none of the lovely snow. Especially loved the shots of that "low-water trail" section, and - for some odd reason - that little crossing below that. (Does that creek have a name? It's running lower than I've seen it right now.) Anyway, looks like a great day!
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Guy

Post by Guy » November 18th, 2014, 6:32 am

Thanks folks!

Karl, the name Winter Creek comes to mind not sure if that is correct. It can be a game changer sometimes, you never really know how it will be flowing until you get there! It's turned us around before!
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » November 18th, 2014, 6:38 am

Great shots and TR as usual Guy!

I want to second that regarding Winter Creek, it can be a sucky deal breaker when flowing full blast, it
drains out Multnomah Basin and one never knows what the flow will be like until reaching it.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » November 18th, 2014, 6:43 am

Guy wrote:Karl, the name Winter Creek comes to mind not sure if that is correct. It can be a game changer sometimes, you never really know how it will be flowing until you get there! It's turned us around before!
Yeah, that sounds familiar, now! I think I've heard someone (EP?) call it "Wet Shoes Creek" before. :lol:
Eric Peterson wrote:I want to second that regarding Winter Creek, it can be a sucky deal breaker when flowing full blast, it drains out Multnomah Basin and one never knows what the flow will be like until reaching it.
So far, I guess I've been fortunate, and always been able to get across. (Not always with dry shoes!) Here's what it looked like last week, before being the nice coating of snow...
    November 11: Lowest I'd ever seen Winter Creek crossing.
Thanks!
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » November 18th, 2014, 6:58 am

Guy,

Nice! Looks like you had the perfect day and great company.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Jack

Post by Jack » November 18th, 2014, 8:25 am

Nice TR and beautiful photos, Guy. You guys must have been over at the parking lot when we got there. This picture, one of only a handful, was taken at 1:51. Very surprised the east wind wasn’t even blowing from the east on top. Must have been some kind of phenomenon going on up there. Great place to be hiking this Sunday! Sorry we missed you. :)

Lurch

Post by Lurch » November 18th, 2014, 9:55 am

I've always simplycalled it Basin Creek, although I've heard Winter Creek before, and the "waterfall" below referred to as Anderson Falls, so possibly Anderson Creek?