Bennett Pass Snow Hike (Nov 16)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Splintercat

Bennett Pass Snow Hike (Nov 16)

Post by Splintercat » November 16th, 2014, 11:10 pm

Bolted up to the mountain today (via the Gorge) to enjoy the first big snowfall of the year -- and clear skies! There some slick spots along I-84, especially east of Cascade Locks. Stopped and took some photos of Mitchell Point when I came upon a multi-car accident that had slowed the freeway traffic to a crawl... Mitchell Point was looking quite handsome:

Passed another pair of vehicles that had just gone off the the road near the crest as you reach Hood River -- be careful if you're traveling through the Gorge! Highway 35 and 26 over the mountain were fine - just packed snow and some manageable ice. When I got to the Bennett Pass TH, I was thrilled to discover that it was completely still -- no wind at all, in contrast to the stiff winds in the Gorge (oddly enough, there were strong winds in the Brightwood area, where gusts were coming through Lolo Pass).

I thought about snowshoes for this trip, but with just 12-18 inches of snow, I decided to keep it simple, and hike with boot traction and posthole as necessary. It turned out to be fine, especially after the sun when down and the temperatures dropped fast into the teens (and firmed up the snow).

Some pics from the trip, starting with my new winter day pack -- so far, so good! A place to put my tripod, generous water bottle pockets and lots of small zippered pockets -- that's the first thing I look for in a pack... :-)

New snow on the noble fir - nature's flocking!

Some old fool tromping around in the snow... ;)

Mount Hood from one of the viewpoints:

Close-up of the SE face and White River Glacier:

Lamberson Butte as the sun dropped toward the horizon:

Just before sunset (not too much alpenglow tonight):

Very nice to be out in the snow again! This is a particularly sweet window, as the ski resorts are still closed, so it's MUCH less nuts up there..! Fantastic to drive down the Laurel Hill grade without skiers in a hurry (and dubious driving savvy) riding my rear bumper down the mountain..! :D

Tom :-)

Peder

Re: Bennett Pass Snow Hike (Nov 16)

Post by Peder » November 16th, 2014, 11:40 pm

Some old fool tromping around in the snow... ;)
Great selfie, though I still vote for the beaver cap!

Looks like a great day outside and you lucked out with there being no wind. :)
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » November 17th, 2014, 8:09 am

The Beaver cap has been secured in an undisclosed location... permanently... ;)

Tom :lol:

miah66

Post by miah66 » November 17th, 2014, 9:52 am

Tom,

Cool, I was up on Tri-County Ridge on Saturday. It was wonderful! So cold though, and once at the top of the ridge there was alot of wind that dropped the temps down to below zero! I've never hiked rom Bennett Pass. What was your approximate route, mileage?
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » November 17th, 2014, 10:08 am

Beautiful photos. I love hiking after the first snows of the season.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » November 17th, 2014, 12:47 pm

Me too, Don! A clear day after the first big snowfall is unbeatable..! :D

@ miah: it's as long as you want it to be. If you hike (or snowshoe or ski) to the Terrible Traverse, I think it's about 4 miles round trip, with modest elevation gain. This time of year, the traverse is less intimidating, so you can extend beyond that all the way to Bonney Meadows or Gunsight Butte, if you're energetic.

Tom :)

mjuliana

Post by mjuliana » November 17th, 2014, 7:47 pm

It's great to see all of the TR's with snow. I missed out on the Saturday fun this weekend as we had a house-full of guests enjoying some college football and BBQ brisket. I'm going to need to sneak out again soon though. Mt Hood is magical when it is all cloaked in white. :D
Thanks,
Mike J

mtnhiker56

Post by mtnhiker56 » November 17th, 2014, 7:53 pm

Nice area, nice pics!

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » November 18th, 2014, 9:39 am

Splintercat wrote:The Beaver cap has been secured in an undisclosed location... permanently... ;)

Tom :lol:
So I had this vision of Splintercat wearing a Daniel Boone/Davey Crockett style hat only made of beaver, then I remembered the Beaver baseball cap. Whew.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » November 18th, 2014, 10:54 pm

Yes...THAT orange hat whose name shall not be spoken... ;)

But a coon skin hat would be nice in the current weather... might need to look into that. It would take an extra-large raccoon to make a hat that fits my basketball head, however...

Tom :D