Icy Multnomah Falls and snowy Basin/XMas lollipop 11-16-14

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Eric Peterson

Icy Multnomah Falls and snowy Basin/XMas lollipop 11-16-14

Post by Eric Peterson » November 16th, 2014, 7:02 pm

The flip flopper flood gates were locked up but some of them still got through and were sliding all over trying to get up to the Benson Bridge.

Kind of fun taking pictures of the non micro spiked below -

And since their were no hoards to deal with I actually went down to the falls viewing platform for once -

Peder Logjam was looking very tempting, almost went for it to gain the ridge known as Meadow Ridge
for a alternate way up into the Basin but decided to be more or less normal today -

Never ever seen this plaque before!

Always love this spot no matter what time of year -

That was my face after reading about how the return trail is closed down on the highway, was going to do a Wahkeena loop but changed it up to a Basin snow romp instead.

Heading up the Highwater Trail to get up into the Basin -

There's a new bridge over Winter Creek too!

And there are some new signs too!

X-Mas trail seems very apropos right now!

Headed over to Bickel Pt to get some views -

Only thing I forgot today were my gaiters, for some dumb reason I thought there'd only be about 3 or 4'' of snow but it was getting up towards 10-12'' just up in the Basin!

After Bickel Pt. I cut across using the Cougar Rock trail and almost headed down the wrong ridge towards
the Elevator Shaft, the snow hiking is fun! :D Main GPS stayed packed away, would have had to dig it out
for a Buick hunt but had no time for that anyway.

At the end getting closer to the locked up flopper flood gate -

GPS watch got stopped by accident somehow and lost some of the hike stats but I'm thinking about 7 miles and 2500'.

Great day to be out, if not a bit windy and cold :)

Don Nelsen

Re: Icy Multnomah Falls and snowy Basin/XMas lollipop 11-16-

Post by Don Nelsen » November 16th, 2014, 7:10 pm

Nice! - I was up at Triple falls as you were daring Multnomah. I stopped by Multnomah on the way be and was surprised by the small flow of the stream. Hope this is a harbinger of things to come! Snow, cold, bring it on!!!!

Don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Peder

Post by Peder » November 16th, 2014, 7:22 pm

flopper flood gate
:D :D :D I knew it had a name, I just did not know what name till now!

Great loop and great selfies!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Jack

Post by Jack » November 16th, 2014, 9:00 pm

Nice pics EP. Went up to Larch via Wahkeena - Devils Rest, today. Surprisingly, the snow got less and less the higher up. Only about 3-4 inches on top with less wind, too. The views were spectacular, but hands were too cold to take pics. I’ve never seen that Weisendanger sign, either. Interesting!

Crusak

Post by Crusak » November 16th, 2014, 9:08 pm

EP went hiking! That makes Crusak do a happy dance. ;) Nice TR. I've gotta get up there and do a loop that includes Larch Mtn soon.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » November 16th, 2014, 9:15 pm

Really nice pics, Eric!!! I was on my way there yesterday, but it was just so windy so I turned around at Bridal Veil and headed back to the mountains of Estacada. Now I wish I wouldn't have weenied out. Is that flip flop gate near the Benson new? I didn't notice it there last year when we had all that cold weather. If we go around it like you did, we won't get into any trouble will we?

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » November 17th, 2014, 6:25 am

Hey Will, the gate didn't have a trail closed sign just a warning about conditions. A USFS worker was shoveling
snow right next to it and didn't say anything to anyone. I'm assuming they know that prepared hikers are going to go around the gate and hike the area? Wasn't like the recent Benson Bridge closure where they stated people would be fined if going around the barrier...

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » November 17th, 2014, 8:07 am

I've seen lots of flip flops on the upper trail, even a woman in high heels at Weisendanger Falls... but the capper was a barefoot guy I ran into a couple of years ago above Ecola Falls..! Wow... lots of sharp basalt between there and the asphalt path... maybe he was on some sort of vision quest..? ;)
And there are some new signs too!
Hmm... very DIY -- must be Trails Club! Nice to see -- and helpful, too. The Gorge USFS staff seem more tolerant of this sort of thing than... ahem... other USFS staff... :roll:

Nice report, Eric!

Tom :)

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » November 17th, 2014, 8:25 am

Wow, that looked great! I was planning on going up there but the reports of gusts to 55 mph discouraged me and so I just went to Forest Park. However it was on the Multnomah falls trail that I first discovered the wonders of microspikes. I was hikeing in a few inches of snow packed down to solid ice by the tread of multitudes of feet. Having paused to contemplate a particularlay slick spot, I saw a women bombing down the trail with what looked like tire chains on her feet. I was awestruck. Being an older Oregon women I was too shy to ask her what they were. Many of us pride ourselves on always being prepared for weather without a lot of extraneous gadgets. Although I do own a Subaru. :lol: A rather hilarious websearch ensued and I now am the proud owner of a pair of micro spikes. I just have to remember to bring them along. Thanks for the update on the bridge and new signage. It looks beautiful up there right now.
Woodswalker

Ron Goodwin

Post by Ron Goodwin » November 17th, 2014, 10:34 am

The Weisendanger plaque was put up in the middle 90's after the remodeling of the Lodge and the Visitor Center was put in. He was the long time Ranger at Eagle Creek and started the Keep Oregon Green movement. Those were the days when the Forest Service has real stewards on the ground.

The gate has been there for years but it does little good as people just go around it. There should be a cam at Benson Bridge watching people slip and fall as they approach the bridge. There is no way to change that angle and sand, etc. does not help as the mist just gets on it and freezes again with the mist on top to make it extra slippery.