Hiking Washington, DC Nov 10-11, 2014

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
BurnsideBob

Hiking Washington, DC Nov 10-11, 2014

Post by BurnsideBob » November 15th, 2014, 9:10 am

Walking THE Mall, Nov 10

My oldest son and I travelled to Washington, DC to celebrate my youngest son’s birthday. No trip to DC is complete without mall walking, plus we planned to attend the Concert for Valor Veteran’s Day evening. If you haven’t visited DC, the city is laid out on a grand scale, so, since you can’t park downtown, you end up walking long distances. I really missed my hiking boots!!

Here are a few scenes from the trip:

Washington Monument with Moon.

The low building houses the ticket office. There were 50 or so people lined up for free tickets at a door on this side of the building. The actual ticket window is on the other side of the building, facing the monument. 5 people were lined up at the correct window—an example of the “sheeple” principle.

Washington Monument With Flock of Birds.

West View from Washington Monument Observation Deck. WWII and Lincoln Memorials.

South View—Jefferson Memorial. Note arriving tour buses.

East View to Capitol Building. Arched structure on mall is Concert for Valor stage.

North View to White House. A crane is lifting national Christmas tree into position in circular area.

North East View, Federal Offices, Museum of Afro-American History under construction bottom right.

Lincoln Memorial Perspective from WWII Memorial.

Washington Monument from Lincoln Memorial.

Lincoln Memorial from Reflecting Pool edge.

US 495 bridge to Arlington National Cemetary from plinth of Lincoln Memorial.

Relecting Pool and Capitol Building from Lincoln Memorial.

A uniformed NPS ranger is rousting the breakfasters from their spots in the sun. No picnicking at the monument. A security force helicopter is canvassing the mall.

Korean War Memorial. More Koreans than Americans paying their respects.

Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial.

Nov 11, Veteran’s Day, was a “late” day, so I walked to Wheaton Regional Park to catch sunrise. The park is for locals so it doesn’t register on the tourist scene, but does have many interesting attractions, including sports complexes, a Japanese Garden, Botanical Garden, a narrow gauge excursion train, an authentic antique carousel, picnic areas, playgrounds, miles of hiking trails, and fields of second growth trees, now quite large.

Forested area, Wheaton Regional Park, Wheaton, MD.

Reflecting Pool at Japanese Garden.

Colorful Understory—large trees have largely lost leaves—pinky red is Winged Euonymus.

Lower Pool at Japanese Garden.

Deciduous Forest—mostly Tulip Trees, but some Eastern Red Oak, Linden, and Maple mixed in.

Sole Sugar Maple--Not a native in this area.

That afternoon we sampled more museums. I really enjoyed the Phillips Collection, a private collection which, while much smaller than the National Portrait Gallery, has a truly phenomenal collection of amazing pieces. My favorite was Renoir’s ‘Luncheon of the Boating Party’, which has a luminosity to it that does not carry thru in any reproduction—it has to be seen in person.

The National Portrait Gallery has so many interesting and historical pieces you could spend days there. It exhibits several Bierstadt paintings of the Sierra Nevada as well as glass negative prints, all from the era when the Sierra was terra incognita. A portrait of John Muir hangs with a quote—probably from a letter since there was no attribution—describing how he disliked cities.

The following photo is of the National Portrait Gallery’s enclosed courtyard. Undoubtedly a wonderful place to hang out when the weather is bitterly cold.

Ultimately, we decided not to attend the Concert for Valor. We had to be up at 3:30 AM to catch our flight, so getting home via mass transportation at 10PM with 800,000 other people didn’t seem workable.

This was a great time to visit—no crowds anywhere.
I keep making protein shakes but they always turn out like margaritas.

raftingdog

Re: Hiking Washington, DC Nov 10-11, 2014

Post by raftingdog » November 15th, 2014, 12:49 pm

my weekends were long walks in Washington when in Army during 1967-8 beautiful streets.... things were different after MLK death and riots

Zia

Post by Zia » November 15th, 2014, 2:28 pm

I was just there hiking myself the week prior. Went back east to Norfolk to see my son home from deployment and the family took 2 days and explored downtown D.C. It's one of my favorite places to go whenever I take a trip out to Norfolk.

vibramhead

Post by vibramhead » November 15th, 2014, 3:02 pm

Hey, that's my home town! Great shots. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. If you get back there, take a hike on the Chesapeake & Ohio Canal (generally just called the C&O Canal) towpath, which starts in Georgetown and runs 184 miles along the Potomac to western Maryland. Most of it looks like this:

Time spent hiking will not be deducted from your life.

GPS tracks on Wikiloc.

Peder

Post by Peder » November 16th, 2014, 7:40 pm

I looped the Mall with my daughter in August. I can see from your pictures that we should have gone to the top of the Washington Monument!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

raftingdog

Post by raftingdog » November 16th, 2014, 10:03 pm

best way to see top Washington Monument.... ride eleuator to top and walk stairs down...

arieshiker

Post by arieshiker » November 17th, 2014, 6:30 am

Terrific series of photos - - I worked in D.C. for twenty-seven months (not that I was counting?) a few decades back, and it is truly a place to have a work-hate relationship with your environs. Lunch breaks and softballs games on the mall after work were a treat, as were the long-sunlit summer days after work when you could walk the mall area with camera on occasional day when the tourist flow was below normal. The pacific northwest is in my DNA now, but parts of the east coast are inspiring with all the revolutionary/civil war sites close at hand.

drm

Post by drm » November 17th, 2014, 8:04 am

I lived there, in the other Washington, before moving to this one, for five years. There is a great 11 mile loop hike that follows Rock Creek up one side and down the other. The southern end is somewhere north of the Zoo and the northern crossing is near the Maryland border.

BurnsideBob

Post by BurnsideBob » November 17th, 2014, 8:33 pm

Thank you all for sharing your DC experiences and the tips about venues. Washington, DC is a great city and I hope to visit again.

My previous visit, last February, coincided with the winter’s biggest snowfall—more than 12” overnight. Washington, DC has official snow days, not just for schools, but for most everybody. So my son Chris got a surprise day off.

We celebrated in the gathering light of dawn by piling into his Subaru and speeding around a deserted and unplowed Washington Beltway to the George Washington Parkway, and then to the Capitol Mall. The streets around the mall had been plowed, but not the parking areas, so we parked illegally to visit a deserted Jefferson Memorial. We returned just in time to talk our way out of a parking ticket—police and security agencies did not get a snow day, and were conspicuously present with the absence of everyone else.

The second morning after The Big Snow sidewalks remained unshoveled in contravention of city ordinance. The snow plows shove the snow up against the parked cars, trapping them, and leaving just enough space for traffic to scrape by. My wife and I, plus a legion of commuters, walked the streets amidst the cars to Metro! It was surreal; there was nowhere for pedestrians to go!

I did see one snippet of the C & O Canal at Great Falls National Park. The canal was frozen, although not solidly. We watched as several deer crossed the parking lot, jumped the fence, and crossed the snow covered ice. We feared the deer would break thru, but they passed the canal safely and disappeared towards the Potomac. We took the Olmstead Walkway to view the Great Falls of the Potomac, which are impressive. Sadly, the old pub was closed, but it looked like a worthy watering hole.

BurnsideBob

Post by BurnsideBob » November 22nd, 2014, 8:41 am

It's a cold, wet morning at my house, so instead of doing anything productive I played with Gmap4 to answer that nagging question about how far we walked on the Capitol Mall. Looks like our excursion from Metro thru the various monuments and then to the Air & Space museum came in at 4.0 miles, per the following map. After getting our tickets for the WA Monument we walked to the Marriott on Pennsylvania Avenue and back for coffee, but that would have made a confusing map, so I left that loop off--close to 5 miles if included.

A guided walking tour of the Washington Monument is offered. You take the elevator to the top, and walk down the steps with a NPS guide. This wasn't offered the day we were there and is only offered once a day when offered. The inside of the monument incorporates memorial plaques and friezes donated by the states and various agencies and even foreign goverments. Most were placed at the time the monument was being built, but others, like the NYFD frieze memorializing Sept 11, 2001 are recent. You do get to see a few of these on the elevator trip down.

And here's a Gmap4 map of Wheaton Regional Park: