Bench and Snow Lakes (Mount Rainier)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
weathercrazy

Bench and Snow Lakes (Mount Rainier)

Post by weathercrazy » October 27th, 2014, 7:45 am

And oldie, but a goodie haha

This is from October 5th, 2014.

All pics from this trip:

http://weathercrazy.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Rainier-1014

The fall colors were simply stunning on this trip, along with the sunny skies. I opted to wait till later in the day to do this hike because I had always done it early in the morning, and wanted to see different light. Being a weekend, it was a little crowded for me.

This trail is only 2.8 miles RT with 700' of elevation gain, but to me, more annoying because it has so much up and down :)

Of course, never a clear day for me...

On the trail, no wonder it took me so long to hike this, I kept stopping for photos.

Bench Lake

Snow Lake

I LOOOOOOOOVE mountain hemlock trees...so much, I now have 4 in my yard...little baby guys.

Heading back...

I have a few secret places up there that I won't divulge. I missed the huckleberries, but that's okay, the fall colors were better!

woodswalker

Re: Bench and Snow Lakes (Mount Rainier)

Post by woodswalker » November 6th, 2014, 8:54 am

I've been really loving your series on Mt Rainer!! Great photos as always. It exactly what I am looking for in a trip report for up there. It's on my list for next year for sure. It's a long way to go for a day hike from PDX so I didn't make it this year. But next year I'm going to car camp and do a bunch of those shortish day hikes. In alpine country my slow hiking style slows to a crawl. Unless I can talk one of my friends into pulling off some shared driving for a day trip :D
Woodswalker

miah66

Post by miah66 » November 7th, 2014, 10:30 am

Summer Tip: If you stand in Bench Lake, you get a view of the mountain.

Or you could wait until winter and walk out on it I suppose.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

weathercrazy

Post by weathercrazy » November 8th, 2014, 7:54 am

There are lots of options! I usually have a list I do every year as the trails melt out. I went up there 10 times I think this year for 2-6 days each time. I always find it amazing!
woodswalker wrote:I've been really loving your series on Mt Rainer!! Great photos as always. It exactly what I am looking for in a trip report for up there. It's on my list for next year for sure. It's a long way to go for a day hike from PDX so I didn't make it this year. But next year I'm going to car camp and do a bunch of those shortish day hikes. In alpine country my slow hiking style slows to a crawl. Unless I can talk one of my friends into pulling off some shared driving for a day trip :D
Woodswalker