Defiance Ascent and lunch at North Lake via Wyeth: 10-24-14

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Sean Thomas

Defiance Ascent and lunch at North Lake via Wyeth: 10-24-14

Post by Sean Thomas » October 25th, 2014, 10:31 pm

While Craig was out roaming the wildlands of the gorge further west I was tromping around the Defiance/lakes area on Friday. The reason for such a quick return was to snatch up a sweaty shirt I had stashed on the top of Defiance on the Ten Peak attempt a little less than a week ago :? The gate at Wyeth was closed so I parked my car and made my way into a lonely campground/picnic area before hitting the steep trail up to the Green Point Ridge junction. Before long and it was hard not to stop and admire one of the little branches of Harphan Creek the trail nears as it makes its way up the mountainside:

Wyeth is always a good challenge and never seems to have too many visitors no matter the time of year. Making my way up the steep trail on a rainless morning felt great :)

Mt St Helens looked absolutely awesome from some of the viewpoints higher up. Clouds were swirling in and out of the valleys and on and off the ridges with St Helens just looming over it all:

Just before I reached North Lake I starting seeing what I believe were several huge Conifer Coral Mushrooms or Bear's Head decorating the trees for halloween:

The fruiting body pictured here shows up around the start of fall on dead conifer wood and is good to eat:

This one, which I think is a Red Belted Polypore, is apparently too tough to eat :)

Im not sure on the rest of these but they were sure pretty in the misty air near the lake:

I didnt see any amphibians throughout the entire day but there was a crustacean sighting at North Lake, sort of :)

Here is the lake dressed in fall color:

The Pearly Everlasting was still putting on a nice display near the shore:

I continued over to the Mt Defiance Trail from North Lake and was digging the reflection of the forest in this trail-puddle:

This tarp out shelter near the start of the 413 seems to be growing:

Some of the Vine Maple near the top of Mt Defiance was the most beautiful deep red color, worth the hard work getting up there everytime:

Big bummer of the trip was that I couldnt find my shirt. Either someone took it home for themselves :? or some animal in need of a salt fix got a hold of it and dragged it off somewhere :? :lol: I did notice that some idiot had tried to start a fire right next to the little building closest to the huge propane tank. I just scattered it but wow:

The views from the top had left for the day as the rain and wind started up strong just before I hit the summit:

On the way back down I noticed all these tiny, green creepy crawlies all over the trail tread. They were so small it was hard to capture on camera, keep in mind the needles(which were short, an inch or less themselves) for scale:

The rain started in pretty good by the time I was about halfway down Wyeth and memories of last weeks waterslide began to take hold :D Pretty soon though and I was back at the car safe and sound(and warm!) after another awesome day in the gorge :)

Limey

Re: Defiance Ascent and lunch at North Lake via Wyeth: 10-24

Post by Limey » October 26th, 2014, 6:32 am

Another great report Sean. Can't believe someone would actually try to build a fire anywhere near that propane tank, guess "you can't fix stupid".

Peder

Post by Peder » October 26th, 2014, 7:41 am

I love the selfies and the shrooms!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

CraigG

Post by CraigG » October 27th, 2014, 10:17 am

Well done! It looks like you got more fall colors than we did. I really like the photo of the North lake in fall.

gene mc and I were talking about a 24 hr multi-peak hike/jog next summer - late June 2015. Would be neat to hit some of these peaks at night in the moonlight. My legs have asked me not to speak of it until then. :roll:

jdemott

Post by jdemott » October 27th, 2014, 1:42 pm

Great photos of many of the small details along the way! You're remarkably observant (I could only concentrate on huffing and puffing on a steep hike like that) and have a good eye.

Koda

Post by Koda » October 27th, 2014, 2:29 pm

edible eh, now that’s a lot of free food. The thought of eating wild mushrooms has take a couple years for me since I started identifying the classic Chanterell. Brought home about 3 lbs of chanterells the other weekend while elk hunting and diced and sautéed they were delicious for a few dinners. Apparently, this Coral mushroom is considered the delicacy of wild mushrooms….
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

UTurn

Post by UTurn » October 28th, 2014, 5:05 am

jdemott wrote:Great photos of many of the small details along the way! You're remarkably observant (I could only concentrate on huffing and puffing on a steep hike like that) and have a good eye.
I would agree with that!

Also, I've never seen or heard of Conifer Coral Mushrooms. Wow!! Very impressive, Sean!

bearyeller

Post by bearyeller » November 3rd, 2014, 1:45 pm

UTurn wrote: Also, I've never seen or heard of Conifer Coral Mushrooms. Wow!! Very impressive, Sean!
There are quite a few of them out right now. I came across at least a dozen, with a couple the size of basketballs, on the Lolopass-BaldMtn trail last weekend.