Mt Arab, NY Adirondacks 9/24/14

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
jime

Mt Arab, NY Adirondacks 9/24/14

Post by jime » October 25th, 2014, 5:30 pm

Short report for fire lookout fans (including justpeachy :) ). Hike to a restored 1918 steel fire tower.

Volunteer Staffed Museum Cabin

Lunch with a View

Peder

Re: Mt Arab, NY Adirondacks 9/24/14

Post by Peder » October 26th, 2014, 7:55 am

Where is the "like" button on this site? Just joking - I dislike "like" buttons but I loved the trip report! That looks like a memorable day.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » October 26th, 2014, 9:11 am

Wow... more trail signs without bullet holes! I didn't think that was possible..! ;)

Great pics -- I'm fascinating by the lookout tower footings... bolted to solid rock! I guess you can't build a better foundation, though you'd want to make sure the bolts don't get rusty... :-)

Which one of you carries the lumbar pack? Looks like the same Mountainsmith line that I've been using for a few years. I love it, except that I tend to carry too much crap in it, which kind of defeats the function... :lol:

Tom :)

jime

Post by jime » October 27th, 2014, 7:21 pm

Splintercat wrote: Great pics -- I'm fascinating by the lookout tower footings... bolted to solid rock! I guess you can't build a better foundation, though you'd want to make sure the bolts don't get rusty... :-)

Which one of you carries the lumbar pack? Looks like the same Mountainsmith line that I've been using for a few years. I love it, except that I tend to carry too much crap in it, which kind of defeats the function... :lol:
Not sure any other choice than to bolt into the rock. All the peaks are solid rock and not much soil. The Adirondacks were sculpted by glaciers.

Yes, Debbie wears the Mountainsmith pack. She had a shoulder injury and can't wear a regular pack.

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » November 6th, 2014, 9:13 am

yeah for lumbar packs!!
Woodswalker