A trip to the Tamanawas Dog Park

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Limey

A trip to the Tamanawas Dog Park

Post by Limey » October 25th, 2014, 3:29 pm

My personal sherpa has been out of town, so I haven't hiked for a month. Well, he came home just long enough to get ready to leave again so I told him rain or no rain, I've got to hike. We chose Tamanawas cuz it is close by and about all I can manage after being housebound for so long. Only 3 cars at the trailhead when we got there but that soon changed. We hadn't gone very far when people started to overtake us. I'm very slow and take a lot of pictures. It soon got to the point where getting a photo without people in it was difficult to say the least. Here are the ones I liked best.
Tamanawas October 001 (1024x575).jpg
Tamanawas October 006 (1024x575).jpg
Tamanawas October 007 (1024x575).jpg
Tamanawas October 010 (1024x575).jpg
Tamanawas October 013 (1024x575).jpg
Tamanawas October 016 (1024x575).jpg
Tamanawas October 020 (1024x575).jpg
Tamanawas October 023 (1024x575).jpg
We didn't get rained on until we started back down the trail. So, where does the dog park come in? Well, on the way in we saw a total of four dogs, not one on a leash. On the way out there was a group of five dogs, all off leash and running ahead of their owners. Only one of the dogs we met was staying with its owners and only one of the other owners made her dog sit so we could walk by. And of course there was the numerous bags of doggy poo alongside the trail. It was still a good hike and it felt wonderful to get out again. Now tomorrow my sherpa is leaving again, only for a week this time though.

Sean Thomas

Re: A trip to the Tamanawas Dog Park

Post by Sean Thomas » October 25th, 2014, 9:27 pm

Glad you were able to make it out for a nice hike. That picture of the cedar and its roots is awesome!

I've still never been to Tamanawas but its on the list. :)

Limey

Post by Limey » October 26th, 2014, 6:15 am

Thanks Sean. That tree root pic was my favorite, I gave up trying to get a shot minus people, there was a steady stream of them.

Stefrobrts

Post by Stefrobrts » October 26th, 2014, 9:55 am

Beautiful spot!

As a dog owner who carries full poo baggies in my pocket until I can find an appropriate disposal, I apologize for those idiots who leave them by the trail. I have no idea why anyone would think that's ok! Seems like it's a week for bad dog owner stories on here.
Stephanie
Vancouver, WA

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » October 26th, 2014, 10:41 am

I love the shots, especially those with the roots. I don't mind the people they add a sense of scale. Sorry about the dog poo. I'll carry my dog's poo back although I hope that some of those people intend to pick it up on the way back, not that I'm holding my breath.

It's a water fall I hope to visit too. It's an easy hike and because it is it will attract a lot of people and those with dogs.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » October 26th, 2014, 10:46 am

Something cool for those who pack it out.
http://www.rei.com/product/853861/nite- ... -waste-bag

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Limey

Post by Limey » October 26th, 2014, 1:27 pm

Waffle Stomper, that is a really cool bag. Wish I'd had one when I had my dog. Hope I didn't give the impression that I was anti-dog. My last dog went with me everywhere, sometimes off leash but that was usually off trail, never on a crowded trail. She was incredibly smart and easy to train. About 90% of our communication was through hand signals. I would give her a new verbal command paired with a hand signal for that command and she usually got it on the first try. She was a very loyal and amazing friend and I miss her terribly.