The Spring at Newton Creek. Oct 24, 2014

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
BurnsideBob

Post by BurnsideBob » October 25th, 2014, 10:00 am

Opening Photo—Newton Creek Spring (Yellow swash mid ground of photo).

The spring at Newton Creek sits off trail 4/5 of a mile upstream from the TT 600 Newton Creek crossing. I had spotted it on an earlier trip to Gnarl Ridge and marveled at its wild look. I imagined a lush oasis visited by wildlife, a wonderful font of life in an apparent sand desert. I had to visit!

ImageIMG_9814
Quest’s beginning: Spring from Gnarl Ridge on Oct 1, 2014.

Gmap4 map centered on spring location 45.358520,-121.656790

Mt. Hood from Bennett Pass, Oct 24, 2014 8:15 AM

The forecast was rain after 11 AM, courtesy of an approaching warm front. The cloud deck was above Mt Hood’s summit as I crossed Bennett Pass, so a fast half-day hike in the mountain’s rain shadow side looked doable. My route: Elk Meadows Trail from Elk Meadows TH to Newton Clark Trail to TT 600 Trail to first switchback, then cross country to the spring—no stream crossings!!

ImageIMG_7119
Newton Creek Trail Sign at Elk Meadows Trail

The trail has been maintained and, as noted elsewhere on this board, trees are being blazed again. I spotted one fresh blaze on a tree blazed on the opposite side many years ago.

ImageIMG_7120
New Blaze.

ImageIMG_7121
Mountain View—trail being undercut by creek.

I soon hit the TT 600, turned right, and at the first switchback, pushed thru the trees to this view:
ImageIMG_7128

Having Figgie with me, I opted to travel side slope above the islands of trees. Footing was loose and sandy, so a better option might be on the shelf just above the creek. More brush and trees to push thru there, but consolidated footing. Many deer and some elk tracks as I followed game trails across a spur ridge from which I could see the spring, marked by the swath of foliage in center of photo:

ImageIMG_7129

ImageIMG_7133
Almost there!

ImageIMG_7135
Starts as a trickle.

ImageIMG_7138
Water boiling from under two big rocks.

ImageIMG_7144
Stark contrast of vegetation and sand.

ImageIMG_7149
No animal or people tracks.

ImageIMG_7137
One off note—a mylar balloon.

ImageIMG_7155
Grasses.

ImageIMG_7156
Head of the matter.

ImageIMG_7152
Looking further up canyon.

ImageIMG_7165
Willow patches where soil & moisture permit.

ImageIMG_7148
View back towards home. I’m going to head for boulder visible on skyline.

ImageIMG_7145
Figgie, having polished off her snack, waits for me to share mine.

ImageIMG_7167
Parting Shot of spring & environs.

ImageIMG_7171
Passing by Lamberson Butte. Cloud deck now to Lamberson Butte. How soon rain?

I stayed high and hit the TT 600 above the Newton Trail intersection.
ImageIMG_7173
Scene at big slideout on Newton Trail. Leaning tree looks like a gnarwhal tusk.

ImageIMG_7174
Ivory.

ImageIMG_7176
Fall Color. Brighter yellow = black cottonwood. Lighter yellow = larch.

ImageIMG_7187
Black Cottonwood.

ImageIMG_7178
Trailside mushroom—ID?

ImageIMG_7183
Bolete.

ImageIMG_7185
ID?

ImageIMG_7186
Coral Mushroom—fresh.

ImageIMG_7123
Golden Chanterelles.

A wonderful hike! No cars at TH when I arrived, 5 when I left. Saw one person—a trail runner—just before I hit the TT 600. Some signs of mushroom collecting—rejects left at TH.

This could be a great Spring hike for wild flowers. It certainly was a great hike for fall—very dramatic with snow on the ridges just above the spring. Would imagine that even on busiest day you would have solitude once you left TT 600.

Many small trees popping up along Newton Creek, so forest may eventually claim this slope.

Happy on and off trail to you!
I keep making protein shakes but they always turn out like margaritas.

Waffle Stomper

Re: The Spring at Newton Creek. Oct 24, 2014

Post by Waffle Stomper » October 25th, 2014, 1:52 pm

Truly one of my favorite trails. Good dog, Figgie, for guiding your Dad to the spring. :)
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

texasbb

Post by texasbb » October 25th, 2014, 2:01 pm

I love things like that. How'd it taste?

BurnsideBob

Post by BurnsideBob » October 25th, 2014, 4:27 pm

I swore off mushroom picking after several successful collecting forays in the Table Rock Wilderness a couple years back. The chantarelles I collected there just didn't smell or taste very good, either fresh or dried.

This was in contrast to collecting them on the Olympic peninsula. There they had a slight apricot aroma which carried thru when you cooked 'em and they were delicious. In the Olympics I found them under young second growth Doug Fir, so maybe the mycorhizal association makes a flavor difference. Ditto white chantarelles--very tasty.

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » October 25th, 2014, 9:25 pm

Great adventure, BB! Figgie looks like a great companion to have along on your hikes. Thanks for posting.

johnspeth

Post by johnspeth » October 26th, 2014, 5:32 am

Seeing way too many balloons in the wild, aren't we?

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 26th, 2014, 6:01 am

It always bugs me when I see people releasing balloons. They land somewhere, and then they're trash.

Most people don't just throw trash out their car window driving down the road :)

raftingdog

Post by raftingdog » October 26th, 2014, 7:18 am

Figgie may be eaten by house kat

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » October 26th, 2014, 7:47 am

Great trip report. The Newton creek trail is one of my favorites. There is usually oregon anenome there in the spring, which I really love. I was thinking about one last trip up there this week before it gets too snowed in. Although I think there might be some accumulation this weekend.
Woodswalker

BurnsideBob

Post by BurnsideBob » October 26th, 2014, 10:31 pm

I really enjoy the Newton Creek Trail, too. Not too steep, has views along the way, a good tread, and gets you to a scenic area while not being too claustrophobic with dense trees.

As for Figgie getting eaten by house cats--at 9 lbs she'll hold her own. BUT house cats aren't the only kitties around:

Image2009-13
The car key is 4 inches long.

I've never come face to face with a mountain lion, but we clearly share the same trails. I hope Figgie barks should we cross trails with one. I want some advance warning.

Springs have a magic of their own, and this one is no exception. The dramatic setting makes this one even more remarkable. I forgot to mention in the trip report that after I crossed the spur ridge, there were no more deer or elk prints. The spring itself, which I imagined to be a wildlife oasis, had no recent animal tracks or sign around it.

My all time favorite spring was one gushing forth from under a huge boulder in the middle of a large, open, flat meadow in the Eagle Cap. That was back in the film era and I don't have a digital photo to share.