St Helens from Climbers Bivoauc -- Oct 4th 2014

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
IslandCougGirl

Re: St Helens from Climbers Bivoauc -- Oct 4th 2014

Post by IslandCougGirl » October 22nd, 2014, 4:44 pm

I climbed in early June and there was still quite a lot of snow-made going down so much more fun than going up!

RobinB

Post by RobinB » October 23rd, 2014, 12:17 am

Congratulations! I can't imagine going up all that rock. We went up on Mother's Day, and I got tired walking up what was essentially a kicked in staircase. I'm sure you had to deal with much worse.

hiker4fun

Post by hiker4fun » October 23rd, 2014, 12:08 pm

IslandCougGirl wrote:I climbed in early June and there was still quite a lot of snow-made going down so much more fun than going up!
Do people normally slide on the east or west of the boulder section? Coming down from the rim, left side of the rock should be the eastern side and seemed to be the one for the winter hike.
RobinB wrote:Congratulations! I can't imagine going up all that rock. We went up on Mother's Day, and I got tired walking up what was essentially a kicked in staircase. I'm sure you had to deal with much worse.
Thanks. It wasn't too bad even though I didn't expect these much of rocks for such a long distance. Some of our friends who didn't do much of training hikes felt it much more than some others who did those. People say that doing Mt Defiance is ideal for this one. I would say that it's much more different and difficult than Mt Defiance, but doing that definitely helps. Did you do this before your hike?

Just went thru your TR and pictures. Vow, amazing pictures and crowd. It's much more beautiful to see the snow covered mountain and path. Some of the pictures seem like a ski resort. :)

sgyoung

Post by sgyoung » October 24th, 2014, 10:08 am

Thanks for this report, hiker4fun. I have my eye on MSH for maybe the end of next summer (if the stars align, anyway), so a TR that shows the snow-free experience of hiking the mountain is useful. Congrats on what looks like a fun day (and there can never be too many Mt Adams pictures).

RobinB

Post by RobinB » October 24th, 2014, 3:13 pm

hiker4fun wrote:People say that doing Mt Defiance is ideal for this one. I would say that it's much more different and difficult than Mt Defiance, but doing that definitely helps. Did you do this before your hike?
I didn't really train in any meaningful way. I spent the spring doing some longer gorge hikes - the Eagle-Benson Loop, Ruckel Ridge, a few loops to Larch Mountain - but nothing with the thought of preparing, largely because I didn't really decide to go until a couple days before.

I think I might head up to Defiance soon though, before the snows come. How's the steepness compared to Helens?

Peder

Post by Peder » October 25th, 2014, 1:17 am

RobinB wrote:I think I might head up to Defiance soon though, before the snows come. How's the steepness compared to Helens?
I have no clue! If you can do one of them, you can do the other. Enjoy!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

rick6003

Post by rick6003 » October 25th, 2014, 6:16 am

Nice report,

I did the same thing after climbing Mt Hood. Every time I saw it I would say " I was up there".

You mentioned Broken Top, its a very fun climb. if you decide to climb more mountains give it a go. Its a bit more technical though and unless your a good scrambler a rope is useful for safety purposes.

hiker4fun

Post by hiker4fun » October 28th, 2014, 7:17 am

sgyoung wrote:Thanks for this report, hiker4fun. I have my eye on MSH for maybe the end of next summer (if the stars align, anyway), so a TR that shows the snow-free experience of hiking the mountain is useful. Congrats on what looks like a fun day (and there can never be too many Mt Adams pictures).
Glad to hear that, thanks. I wish you the best for your plans to hike MSH, you will enjoy it. :)

RobinB wrote: I didn't really train in any meaningful way. I spent the spring doing some longer gorge hikes - the Eagle-Benson Loop, Ruckel Ridge, a few loops to Larch Mountain - but nothing with the thought of preparing, largely because I didn't really decide to go until a couple days before.

I think I might head up to Defiance soon though, before the snows come. How's the steepness compared to Helens?
St Helens is steeper, but has solid non-moving rocks for the major stretch. In defiance, it's pretty much normal but steep trail in some spots. Going up was fine. But, coming down on Defiance trail, I had to sit and slide at couple of spots. It wasn't too bad, I broke a pole and hence struggled a bit.

hiker4fun

Post by hiker4fun » October 28th, 2014, 7:23 am

rick6003 wrote:Nice report,

I did the same thing after climbing Mt Hood. Every time I saw it I would say " I was up there".

You mentioned Broken Top, its a very fun climb. if you decide to climb more mountains give it a go. Its a bit more technical though and unless your a good scrambler a rope is useful for safety purposes.
Thanks Rick. Is Hood considered technical if you want to go to the top of the ridge, without reaching the actual summit?

I have been looking at Broken top, and it seems like it's a non-technical hike till almost the last hundred feet or so. If that's the case, I would like to go till at least that point. I don't want to somehow will my way to the top only to find that I can't come back. :(