Swale Canyon 10-16-2014 Nice hike, bad vibes

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
jdemott

Swale Canyon 10-16-2014 Nice hike, bad vibes

Post by jdemott » October 17th, 2014, 4:53 pm

Thursday's forecast promised a one-day break in our current rainy spell, so my wife and I decided to head east and try a new (to us) trail--the Swale Canyon section of Klickitat River Trail. Bobcat's excellent write-up in the Field Guide gave us directions and a good description.

Starting at the Wahkiacus trailhead, we found signs giving us the typical rules and cautions, but in unusual detail. Instead of a simple "dogs must be leashed" statement, there was a long explanation of why dogs should be leashed. Instead of a short caution that the area is "open range" there was a description of what open range means and what to do if you encounter cattle and why one should not come between a mother cow and her calfs. And of course there was the usual statement about motorized vehicles not allowed. Also, there was a detailed statement about the importance of staying on trail because the trail is bordered by private property and so the only way of avoiding trespassing is to stay strictly on the trail at all times.

Being fully informed and cautioned, we started up the canyon. The trail is a typical rails-to-trails pathway--a broad, level, gravel path with long straight-aways and gentle grades--very easy walking.

After a mile or so of walking, we heard the sound of a motor vehicle approaching. After a couple minutes, a pickup truck came into view from around the next bend, driving very slowly with a large black dog running alongside. Although the path was wide enough for the truck to easily pass, we stepped off the trail just to be sure. When the dog saw us, it began to bark ferociously and ran at us. I expected the owner would at least call the dog (since he was driving where he shouldn't be with a dog that should have been leashed, a more reasonable thing would have been to stop the truck and control the dog so we could go by). Instead, he steered directly at us, driving the dog directly toward us as well. Fortunately, the dog ran on by, but he steered ever closer, pushing us another step or two off the trail. He wasn't trying to hit us because he didn't speed up or swerve suddenly, but he definitely wanted to send a message that he could have hit us if he wanted to. My guess is that he was a local, and that was how he "walks" his dog, and he didn't like any non-locals being on "his" pathway.

Trying to put that rather disturbing incident out of mind, we continued our hike. A little way farther down the trail, we saw some pick-ups parked a distance off the trail in the woods and then saw two hunters set up with scopes about a hundred yards from the trail. After our recent encounter, I was a little nervous about meeting any armed locals, but fortunately their scopes were not pointed at the road and they responded with a friendly nod when I waved.

A little farther down the trail, there is a section with some really rough looking, off the grid homesteads. Old trailers, surrounded by eight or ten derelict vehicles, piles of trash, discarded appliances, collapsed sheds, etc. Perhaps it was just our encounter with the pickup, but I was getting very creepy vibes from the area. Happily, it was only vibes and there were no more encounters with the locals.

After passing the area with the homesteads, the canyon begins to open up and the scenery becomes prettier. The trees and grasses were beginning to show some fall color, the sky was blue, the sun was shining, and we got back to enjoying our hike. We walked maybe four or five miles and then headed back. Here are a few photos:

adamschneider

Re: Swale Canyon 10-16-2014 Nice hike, bad vibes

Post by adamschneider » October 17th, 2014, 5:23 pm

The south end (from the Warwick Trailhead on Harms Road) is less creepy.

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » October 17th, 2014, 6:49 pm

:) Pretty country! Too bad you had to deal with the cast from the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I definitely would be wearing my .38 Special on my hip to prevent hillbilly redneck "accidents" from happening. ;) Thanks for sharing.

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » October 19th, 2014, 12:33 pm

You take good photos. Some Photos of the pick up truck and driver would have been a nice addition to your trip report. :)
"Why are you always chasing women?"
"I'll tell you as soon as I catch one!"

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » October 19th, 2014, 2:27 pm

Nice to see the trees turning color in your photos, John. Joie and I might have seen the same dog last year near what I think must have been the old rail-line community of Swale. Her name was Suzie and although she was a barker she was very friendly :)
Attachments
DSCF3983.JPG

jdemott

Post by jdemott » October 19th, 2014, 3:46 pm

Joie and I might have seen the same dog last year near what I think must have been the old rail-line community of Swale. Her name was Suzie and although she was a barker she was very friendly
Might be the same dog. The one we saw was friendly, I think, after she got over the original barking and running. Lots of dogs will bark when they see someone unexpectedly. The owner was something else--we were as concerned that he was going to run over the dog as that he would hit us.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » October 19th, 2014, 4:29 pm

Yes, unfortunately that side of Swale has a history. People living near the tracks had many years of isolation from the general public (which is why they live there) after the railroad was decommissioned and before people began to walk the route in significant numbers. The most egregious incident was when some hikers' unleashed dog began chasing some chickens - the owner of the coop simply stepped out and shot the dog. Other conflicts happened when local ranchers strung fences across the railroad easement and ran cattle there. Most of those fences and gates are gone now.

There is a section of the track, maybe a mile or so, where locals are permitted to drive their vehicles. Don't know if your dog walker was within his rights or not, but his attitude certainly represents that of some of the local fauna . . .

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » October 19th, 2014, 10:24 pm

jdemott wrote:
Joie and I might have seen the same dog last year near what I think must have been the old rail-line community of Swale. Her name was Suzie and although she was a barker she was very friendly
Might be the same dog. The one we saw was friendly, I think, after she got over the original barking and running. Lots of dogs will bark when they see someone unexpectedly. The owner was something else--we were as concerned that he was going to run over the dog as that he would hit us.

"The owner was something else" is definitely true. The man we saw was pretty unpleasant and just started screaming at the dog to come back in until he noticed us petting her. But he wouldnt respond to our waves or hellos, he just kind of gave us the, "dont you think its time for you to leave" look. Like Adam said I would definitely go back and start at Harms Road, theres some really nice scenery up there too.

miah66

Post by miah66 » October 22nd, 2014, 9:26 am

Your pictures are excellent, per usual. I love that type of terrain.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » October 24th, 2014, 9:54 pm

Beautiful photos, John -- sorry to hear about rogue locals attempting to intimidate you from using public property. :x