Fall colors (not yet!) , Silver Falls 10/16

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
pdxgene

Fall colors (not yet!) , Silver Falls 10/16

Post by pdxgene » October 16th, 2014, 1:21 pm

You know, more or less they're all maples.. They could make life a lot easier for me if they'd all change color at the same time :roll:
Although this has been a great day in years past it's still a week or two away from the best show at Silver Falls. Kinda sucked more for the guy (who looked like a double for William Sullivan) that drove 3 1/2 hours from Tacoma than for me.. Weekday mornings are pretty deserted there. My general plan is to arrive and get the waterfalls without the sun glare and shadows on the outward leg and then have the sun light up the colors on the way back. But the best colors just aren't quite ready yet. Especially the vine maple which is just now barely starting to change. The rain in the forecast will fill out the waterfalls a bit more. There'll just need to be a break for some sunny days in there somewhere..
But for today... Starting at South Falls about 830a..

Looking down from the top of the stairs at the South Fork of Silver Creek as it leaves Lower South Falls..

Lower South Falls with its maples..

Big leaf maples line the hillsides along the Canyon Trail, pretty much from one end to the other..

A couple from Lower North Falls

Middle North Falls. The entire hillside will turn yellow eventually but it hasn't started yet..

North Falls and some sunbeams that looked better in person than they came out here...

Leaves fallen from the big leaf maples make for a cushy walking surface..

The bright October sun over Middle North Falls.. I don't know why but I always like to take pictures looking right into the sun. Probably why I can''t see worth a $#@! anymore.. :lol:

Behind Lower South Falls..

And finishing up a nice peaceful sunny day in the canyon back where I started at South Falls.

Album here.. http://picasaweb.google.com/pdxgene/Sil ... tatePark50
If it isn't stormy enough to just ruin them at the start of next week and we get a stretch of decent weather this is a great place to see fall colors that's easy to get to. Though if you can get there before 9a you'll enjoy it mostly to yourself the first couple hours..
Oh yeah... Go Giants!

Sean Thomas

Re: Fall colors (not yet!) , Silver Falls 10/16

Post by Sean Thomas » October 19th, 2014, 10:58 pm

Wow, looks amazing! Bummer for the guy from Tacoma but I bet he still had a good day of it :)

Im ashamed to say but I still havent been down there yet :? :lol:

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » October 20th, 2014, 4:31 am

Sean Thomas wrote:Wow, looks amazing! Bummer for the guy from Tacoma but I bet he still had a good day of it :)

Im ashamed to say but I still havent been down there yet :? :lol:
Wait for snow or ice. It turns into another world under those conditions..

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » October 21st, 2014, 11:44 pm

Probably why I can''t see worth a $#@! anymore..
You and Ray Atkeson, Gene - be careful with those..! :?

Nice pics, even if you missed the peak... but it's not like there's a BAD day at Silver Falls..!

Tom :-)