Another Indian Heaven Looplet

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
drm

Another Indian Heaven Looplet

Post by drm » October 15th, 2014, 7:24 am

Junction Lake is well named, with the PCT passing by it and the East Crater trail going southeast and the Lemei trail going northeast. The map shows no trails trending west, but there are a number of them. In the past I have hiked to Junction Lake from Chenamus Lake. This trip (Oct 12) I hiked from Junction Lake to Rock Lake. The trail cuts SW just south of the footbridge on the PCT. It is the most southward heading of the obvious trails going west from the PCT near that bridge. It is 1.2 miles to Rock Lake. There is another junction about 1 mile out where you have to turn right. I don't know where that trail goes if you don't turn right there, but I'm guessing it goes to near Lake Sahalee Tyee, where an obvious trail (marked as Not Maintained) joins the Thomas Lake Trail. For me, after a nice break at Rock Lake at the same place where a group of us camped amidst the snow in June, I took the maintained trails to Blue Lake and then back to Jcn, making for a small loop. The day was mostly overcast with a temp in the low 50s.

East Crater Trail has some nice small meadows

Rock Lake campsite

Here is that same campsite in early June

Lakes are usually pretty gray on overcast days. but Blue Lake somehow keeps in color even in the clouds

And as usual, IH has good shroomage

jdemott

Re: Another Indian Heaven Looplet

Post by jdemott » October 15th, 2014, 8:02 am

I don't know where that trail goes if you don't turn right there, but I'm guessing it goes to near Lake Sahalee Tyee, where an obvious trail (marked as Not Maintained) joins the Thomas Lake Trail.
That's correct...if you continue straight, instead of turning right to Rock Lake, you will pass through some nice meadows and end up near Sahalee Tyee about a quarter mile north of Blue Lake. Much prettier than the current alignment of the PCT between Junction Lake and Blue Lake, IMO.

Sounds like you had a great hike. Thanks for posting.

Splintercat

Re: Another Indian Heaven Looplet

Post by Splintercat » October 20th, 2014, 7:55 pm

Nice report, Dean - that's beautiful country this time of year! And bug-free, too..!

Tom :)