Mt. Hood - Vista Ridge to Hood River Meadows 10/11/2014

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
hikerbot

Mt. Hood - Vista Ridge to Hood River Meadows 10/11/2014

Post by hikerbot » October 14th, 2014, 6:12 pm

Our goal: Timberline Trail in 2 days with our overnight stay at Timberline Lodge. 44 miles, 22 miles a day.
Our team: 4 lovely ladies, all runners and experienced hikers

Saturday morning, we met up at Gateway Park and Ride at 5:45am for the drive to the Vista Ridge TH. The forecast called for 60% chance of showers before 11am. It was raining a bit more than we expected, so before heading out, we talked about weather. It was supposed to clear. It might be a bit windy. It wasn't anything to worry about. So we loaded up the car and were on our way.

We took a little bit of time getting to the TH, making a stop for coffee and taking a couple of wrong turns. When arrived at Vista Ridge just before 8am, we were the first there. The rain had slowed to a drizzle, so we grabbed our packs and headed up the trail.

We passed through the burned trees from the Dollar Lake Fire as we hiked up Vista Ridge. The wind was moving the fog through the trees, which was both beautiful and eerie.
vista ridge.jpg
After about 2.7 miles were at the Timberline Trail.
Timberline sign.jpg
Then the fall colors near Elk Cove.
elk cove.jpg
The cloud cover started to lift as we approached the Coe.
Coe.jpg
We made our way across the Coe using the same log that was in Guy's TR in September. We celebrated the completion of our first major crossing by stopping for a snack.

As we continued along the trail, the clouds continued lifting. Just as forecasted. :)
mountain.jpg
It was sunny by the time we reached Compass Creek.
Compass Creek 1.jpg
Compass creek 2.jpg
It stayed sunny as we descended to Eliot Creek. We found a spot to cross about 0.25 miles upstream from the ropes.
Eliot.jpg
As we exited Eliot Canyon, the clouds started settling back in over the mountain. The winds were picking up, with several strong gusts. The wind was expected, but the clouds? The forecast said it was supposed to clear up for the afternoon, so this would blow over, right?
eliot 2.jpg
We continued hiking towards Cooper Spur, taking a very short lunch break on the trail about halfway up from Cloud Cap. Shortly after we passed Cooper Spur, light hail started falling from the sky. I am very protective of my camera, so at this point, I put my camera in a dry bag in my pack. Still thinking it would pass, we pressed on. The hail then turned to sideways hail. As we reached the Timberline High Point, the hail turned to snow. A few minutes later, we heard thunder. At that moment, we all knew that we needed to get off the mountain FAST. We started running / jogging down the trail for the next two miles followed by the occasional roar of thunder, until we got into the trees below Lamberson Spur. As we headed down the mountain, the hail and snow turned into heavy rain. Despite wearing rain gear, we were all soaked. We had a friend who had hoped to meet up with us at the Elk Meadows Junction, but with the horrid weather, we knew it was likely she had headed out. But we knew that we needed to get to shelter, so we took a gamble and quickly hiked to the Elk Meadows TH. I was concerned about the Newton Crossing. We had just gotten hit by torrential rains, but those concerns were unfounded, as the Newton Crossing at the Elk Meadow Trail was an easy log walk. Just as we reached the parking lot, the rain became a drizzle, but there was no one there to greet us and we had no cell phone signal. Knowing that movement was the key to keeping warm, we started walking along Hwy 35 towards Timberline, while trying to hitch a ride. Luckily it was less than 15 minutes before we were able to find a ride to Timberline and warmth!

My thoughts: No one expected such bad weather, based on the forecast. We had an agreement in advance to leave the trail if it got too dangerous. Unfortunately for us, that point came when we were likely at the worst possible place, the Timberline High Point. We were 3 miles from Cloud Cap, 3 miles from the Gnarl Ridge Trail. Continuing to Gnarl Ridge would get us below tree line sooner, and closer to Hwy 35, where we would be likely to get to shelter quickly. Also, we knew it was much more likely we would be able to get a ride from the Elk Meadows TH than the Cloud Cap TH. I was fortunate to have the dry bag in my pack for my electronics. Water had gotten into my pack and pooled at the bottom, even with a well fitting pack cover. I am thankful we had a strong group that worked together as a team. There was no second guessing, we knew collectively what we needed to do.

And that was it. We knew our attempt at a TT360 was over for this year. There was no way we could have continued, our gear and boots were too soaked. (Note: Three days later, my GTX boots still have not dried out.) Sunday morning, we "hiked" to brunch at Timberline Lodge, took a tour, and then had a friend, who came up on Saturday evening, drive us back to Vista Ridge TH to pick up the car.

Final Stats: 18.8 miles, 4833' EG, 9 hours, 3 minutes (Includes about 1.2 miles of road walk)

Note: A big thank you to the awesome driver who picked us up on Hwy 35 and dropped us off at Timberline. I don't know if you read the PH forums, but I know you're a hiker. We are all extremely grateful for your kindness and willingness to go 30 miles out of your way to get us out of the cold and wet weather!

Another note: Planning has commenced for Timberline in 2 Days 2015! Yay for TFFs!
Last edited by hikerbot on October 14th, 2014, 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

retired jerry

Re: Mt. Hood - Vista Ridge to Hood River Meadows 10/11/2014

Post by retired jerry » October 14th, 2014, 6:21 pm

Smart move to bail out. Sounds like a great adventure you'll remember better than if it had gone as planned. Type 2 fun...

hikerbot

Post by hikerbot » October 14th, 2014, 10:06 pm

retired jerry wrote:Smart move to bail out. Sounds like a great adventure you'll remember better than if it had gone as planned. Type 2 fun...
Thanks Jerry! I totally agree. The best memories come from when things don't go as planned! :)

TheOtherBob

Post by TheOtherBob » October 15th, 2014, 7:00 pm

Well met, Hikerbot!
I think I went past your party on the way down from Cooper Spur on Saturday... a bit before you reached the cutoff to the Spur. I was wearing the black camera holster on my chest.
I had the same (though less ambitious) idea to get out for a hike after seeing the weather report.
This was from my way up in the 10-1100 window.
01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
I stopped at the first set of rock shelters and had lunch thinking I had plenty of time to walk the rest of the ridge. But then the clouds started setting in.
04.jpg
So I hurried up to the high shelter and took a few shots before hurrying back down.
05.jpg
06.jpg
Sorry you got caught in the nasty weather. I was wondering about your party and the other three that I had seen on their way up to the spur while I was driving through the hail on my way back down from Cloud Cap. Glad your party had a safe exit.

One [good?] outcome from the weather was the dusting that it brought to Hood. Ebishop and I went up to Lookout Mtn from the 35 on Sunday and enjoyed the look of things to come...
01_from Lookout Mtn.jpg
... which was reduced somewhat later in the day.
02_from Lookout Mtn.jpg

SE Ben

Post by SE Ben » October 15th, 2014, 9:35 pm

I lost my bullet-proof invulnerability about the time I hit 30. Yay for caution over bold risk-taking and hypothermia! Good on you for pre-planning what to do if the weather went south... and then actually doing it, Hikerbot.

When we heard the Saturday weather report, I and a guy from Wisconsin accelerated our trip from 4 to 3 days and finished TT on Friday to avoid this. We met a pair of young studs with beards (at about 2 pm at Mt Hood Meadows ski area) heading counterclockwise from Timberline Lodge. They knew about the weather and didn't care. Said, "It'll be interesting."

I ustabee that hard-core.

Glad I'm not anymore. :)

hikerbot

Post by hikerbot » October 16th, 2014, 10:04 am

TheOtherBob wrote:Well met, Hikerbot!
I think I went past your party on the way down from Cooper Spur on Saturday... a bit before you reached the cutoff to the Spur. I was wearing the black camera holster on my chest.
Sorry you got caught in the nasty weather. I was wondering about your party and the other three that I had seen on their way up to the spur while I was driving through the hail on my way back down from Cloud Cap. Glad your party had a safe exit.
I think I remember you. I was the first person you passed in our group. I was wearing green pants, orange jacket, and a pack with a blue pack cover.

We were concerned about a couple we passed near the Timberline high point. What caught my attention is that he was wearing JEANS. I am guessing they made it back to Cloud Cap ok.

hikerbot

Post by hikerbot » October 16th, 2014, 10:10 am

SE Ben wrote:
When we heard the Saturday weather report, I and a guy from Wisconsin accelerated our trip from 4 to 3 days and finished TT on Friday to avoid this. We met a pair of young studs with beards (at about 2 pm at Mt Hood Meadows ski area) heading counterclockwise from Timberline Lodge. They knew about the weather and didn't care. Said, "It'll be interesting."
Curious about the weather report you saw. Everything we saw said 60% chance of showers before 11am, clearing in the afternoon. I even checked the posted daily forecast after we arrived at Timberline to see if anything had changed (It hadn't). If we saw something more ominous, we may have made a different choice about starting out that day...

SE Ben

Post by SE Ben » October 16th, 2014, 6:35 pm

We didn't have smartphones so we asked people we met on the route for weather updates... and thus didn't get a clearer picture than that there would be precipitation on Friday night and Saturday... and since we were both pessimists, assumed the worst.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » November 6th, 2014, 3:48 pm

Still catching up on my reading here. :) My sense is you'll be telling this story to your grandkids. Them's the times we remember most. I like the idea of the 2-day/1-night (at Timberline!) plan, too. That'd sure cut down on pack weight! Good adventure; Great ending.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...