Naches Peak Loop and Dewey Lakes (Mt. Rainier)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
weathercrazy

Naches Peak Loop and Dewey Lakes (Mt. Rainier)

Post by weathercrazy » October 13th, 2014, 8:19 am

Another hike I have done several times, the loop, but I've never went down to the lakes. This hike I completed on September 28th, 2014.

All pics from the first few days at Rainier...

http://weathercrazy.smugmug.com/Landsca ... ainier-914

I always start out at Tipsoo Lake and hike clockwise.

The flowers are done, and the colors were starting to show. Some of this area will likely be under snow in the next couple of days. The low point is about 5,400' around Chinook Pass, with a second low around 5,200' if you go down to the lakes.

Lovely little tarn, that is usually overcrowded in the summer, but on a Sunday after Labor Day, it's not. During the first portion of the hike, I only saw a few people. I did see quite a few people on the return in the afternoon. Normally I avoid hiking on the weekends for that reason, but the weather was changing so I didn't have much of a choice.

Fall colors on the trail

Dewey Lakes below...

From here the trail drops about 800' down to the lakes which offer camping (really a close camp for those new to backpacking)

More fall colors. The colors seemed to be better on the east side of the park as opposed to Paradise.

Down at the lakes...I can't believe I've never went down there. It was beautiful!

Heading back up wasn't nearly as much fun, but took me less time, probably because it's so steep on the way down, you have to go slow to save the knees!

I headed back a little bit as someone had spotted mountain goats. They were so far off in the distance, I won't share the few pics I took of them.

With the sunny Sunday, people were out enjoying.

Then you come around the bend, and there She is!

I don't know how many photos I took of this area, but it was a lot!

This trip was 7.5 miles RT with just 1,600' of elevation gain.

bobcat

Re: Naches Peak Loop and Dewey Lakes (Mt. Rainier)

Post by bobcat » October 16th, 2014, 10:22 am

Great little series on Mt. Rainier in the fall! I must spend some time there one September . . .

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » October 20th, 2014, 7:53 pm

Great timing on the colors and the weather, Tyler -- and some fresh snow on the mountain, too..! Nice! Thanks for posting these.

Tom :)

raftingdog

Post by raftingdog » October 20th, 2014, 9:45 pm

after 37 years hiking in Northwest .. with many bakpak trip in Mt Rainier park...your photos are best I seen of this truly spiriited site ... thank you and I hope to return thru your eyes