Indian Heaven: Lemei Rock – Wapiki Lk.– Bird Mt. 10-05-2014

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Jack

Indian Heaven: Lemei Rock – Wapiki Lk.– Bird Mt. 10-05-2014

Post by Jack » October 9th, 2014, 1:28 pm

Thanks to VanMarmot, Romann, Koda, drm and the others who have posted TR’s and maps on this area, we thought we’d scout it out up in Indian Heaven. We started at the Thomas Lake TH and jumped on the old CCT from Rock Lake to Bear Lake. From there we cut over to Lemei Rock from the junction off the PCT just above Deer Lake. This started out as the Cultus Lake Tr. and turned off into the Lemei Trail.

We then took the cutoff to the amphitheater.

There, Spitfire scampered (er, scrambled) her way up to the ridge between the north summit (minor) and the true south summit. I was a distant second. Once here the views were gorgeous on this bluebird day.

Having quite a bit of ground to cover this day, we skipped either summit, saving that for another day. Instead making a short loop across and down the middle section of the ridge.

Even from the base, the scenery was amazing.

The east side of the true summit

From there, we made our way, counter-clockwise, down to the south side of Wapiki Lake on more than one use trail. The lake is just beautiful.

To complete this little loop, we dropped down another 200’ to the Lemei Tr. junction and then ascended 600’ elevation gain back up to the 5600’ Lemei Rock Cutoff Tr. Along the way were some great viewpoints.

Back at the junction

We saw what appeared to be the approach to get on the northwest ridge route up to the Lemei (minor) summit on our way in…

…so we decided to take a closer look on the way out.

Once we were back on the trail just past the Cultus Lake jct. we jumped off-trail onto a ridge which took us up to a string of meadows with a user trail leading us up to the summit of Bird Mt. With the clear skies the views were just astounding up there, too.

St. Helens

Lemei Rock – Mt. Hood

Mt. Adams

Mt. Rainier

Rainier, Sawtooth Mt., Pt. 5568 (Little Bird), and Adams

Coming back down the ridge immediately below Bird

We were getting a little pressed for daylight while crossing the CCT meadows on the way back to the TH, mostly since there was so much scenery to take in throughout the day,...

…but at a fairly rapid pace we made it out without the headlamps.

The fall colors looked like they were beginning to wind down, but were spectacular nonetheless. An ideal hike for an above average autumn day. Around 18 miles / 3800’ elevation gain.

Last edited by Jack on October 12th, 2014, 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mandrake

Re: Indian Heaven: Lemei Rock – Wapiki Lk.– Bird Mt. 10-05-2

Post by mandrake » October 9th, 2014, 8:52 pm

Great pics! It's beautiful up there in the fall. I particularly like the shot looking north from Bird Mtn towards Sawtooth & Rainier.

FYI: if you make it up to Lemei's ridge, it's a quick 5min jaunt over to the summit. Follow the ridge west. It looks like it's about to cliff out with a big gendarme in the way. The secret is to go up & over... much easier than it looks. Easy fun scramble. Top out on the summit for much victory.

Jack

Post by Jack » October 11th, 2014, 7:25 am

Thanks, mandrake. This served as a great exploration for getting up there again next year. I’m looking forward to getting in the entire ridge/summit, then, thanks to your tip.

Crusak

Post by Crusak » October 14th, 2014, 5:17 am

That's a great loop! I can't get enough of Indian Heaven. Was that your first time up there?
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Jack

Post by Jack » October 14th, 2014, 4:17 pm

Yeah, Crus, everything is so unique up there. It’s too bad the window for fair weather with few mosquitos and other bugs (September/early October) is so narrow, but I suppose that goes hand in hand with its uniqueness (meadows, lakes, and ponds). I have been on Sawtooth, Little Bird (Pt. 5568), and Big Bird Mts., before, on 2 other hikes, but had never been to the Lemei Rock / Wapiki Lake area or south of Blue Lake. Just through PH's many TR’s on the IH Wilderness. :)

drm

Post by drm » October 15th, 2014, 8:51 am

Both of the last two summers I've had August trips to IH - one a dayhike and the other an overnighter - with minimal bugs. And fewer people than I did this last weekend. That isn't to say that all of IH was bug-free, but it does vary year-to-year and in different parts of IH.